HID's - Which kit?

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Re: HID's - Which kit?

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

Polo96CL wrote:My ballasts are mounted on the top under the scuttle, look good and tucked out of the way which actually looks quite OEM.

Can I just remove one side of the bumper then remove the light? Or does the whole bumper need to come off?
Whole bumper off I'm afraid.
Polo96CL
Platinum Member

Post by Polo96CL »

Oh dear, a saturday job then :D

Any tips on how to remove? Can I just drop the tip side to access the bolts?
beijing polo
Bronze Member

Post by beijing polo »

9N3 Turbo wrote:I also bought a cheap kit from China. Been on the car 2.5 years and no problems.
£25 well spent.
And no you don't need the canbus version.
wow me too! i hear theres a bad rep with these but mine lasted me 3 years till i sold them on.
6000K is perfect colour.

bumper off like this.

and good luck!
Mr Blobby
Silver Member

Post by Mr Blobby »

Im going to be a TOTAL noob here sorry guys :( I dont really understand HID's. I dont know what kits to buy or what im looking for (what light intensity or reflectors etc). can someone please explain to me pretty please :)

Thank you.
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

Take a look at this http://www.hids4u.co.uk/HID-Xenon-Techn ... tails.html.

Xenon lights that are OEM are HIDs. The 'temperature' refers to the colour of the light. The only potential problem is that OEM xenons use 'projector' type headlamps whereas halogen bulbs use 'reflector' type headlamps. Reflectors are designed to direct the light from the bulb in a specific way, and HID bulbs tend to screw this up so you can end up blinding people coming towards you. It's also a bit of a grey area on MOT worthiness as well, as you strictly need self levelling suspension and headlight washers with xenon lights due to them being brighter.

I was looking to fit some to my bike recently and found the above website quite informative. Apparently they are a decent company to buy from as well.