Cambelt change for TDI.

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Jordi
Getting There!

Cambelt change for TDI.

Post by Jordi »

Hello.

Just wanting a bit of clarification really on the timing for the cambelt to be changed on MY09 Polo TDI. I have heard different intervals of people getting them done, but not sure whether the GTi is different to my diesel, so want to know for sure as my car is currently on 53k. I have looked in my manual and it says 100k, but not sure if this is the cambelt or not? Also, what kind of price should I expect to pay, for the cambelt, water pump inc fitting. Will try VW, and also other back street garages to compare prices nearer to the time.

Thanks in advance.

Jordi.
RITCHAT
Gold Member

Re: Cambelt change for TDI.

Post by RITCHAT »

cambelt and water pump change it at 80000 miles or 4 years which ever is soonest. Water pump might not need changing but you are in there anyway and for the extra 30 quid or so worthwhile changing it . get the kit from vw as it comes with the tensioner that needs to be replaced at the same time. Kit will be about 110 from vw and the water pump is about 50 but you get the surcharge back on the old one. two hours labour plus your fluids for the radiator so prob 100 quid.I managed to get a deal on mine 250 all in including the mot the garage supplied the antifreeze 4 season vw stuff foc as I have been going there for years.
Jordi
Getting There!

Post by Jordi »

So cambelt is 80k for the diesel? I guess it's 60k for the petrol models/GTi then, yeah?

OK sound, just wanting a rough idea before I get prices. But if it is 80k, then I have a while yet before needing to worry about it.

To be honest, I did think 60k was a bit early for a diesel, especially as they are for doing high miles!
adzpz
Getting There!

Post by adzpz »

Dont just go by mileage as belts go bad with time - 4 years and its time to change regardless of miles covered.
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Post by K.I.T.T. »

I thought it was 4 years / 60k rather than 80k. Anyway, my '53 plate 9n is on it's 3rd belt and 2nd water pump despite only having done 55k.

Ash
Jordi
Getting There!

Post by Jordi »

It's either 60k or 80k, but I can't get a definitive answer!

May just ring VW, although they will say 60k no doubt...