What oil for pd diesel engine? !!!

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
sephiroth09
New

Post by sephiroth09 »

hello

i few month back i bought a vw polo gt 130 pd, after a 10 days i went to my mechaninc and ask he to do a full service.From that day my car fuel consumption have increased.i do a regular trip every saturday and sunday(motorway) and the fuel consumption have increase by 10 mpg,before i was able to get 60mpg quite easily :D but now i barely get 53mpg :shock: (that is when im very very carefull).I also did a trip to bicester a few days ago from london and the mpg i got was 51.
I think that the oil used in the car might be the problem.the car engine cover has a sticker with wrote in it (long life service castol slx 2) but the sticker is old and i doubt the previus owner have used this oil but my mechaninc saw the sticker so he use the equivalent of that oil(or the same) i remember he said that he used the sticker as a reference for the oil change.i also notice that the car idle noise when started is a bit louder(when the engine reach the right temperature the noise is normal).i didnt notice any performance loss 8) .i will take my car to the mechanic sometime next week becouse some water is leaking from the boot :roll: (i think from the brake light )and is making the seat wet so i might ask him to change the oil to a not long life regime and switch to the fix annual term(i drive mainly in city for short trip).

Also what oil is best for this car(fix annual term)? does the diesel pd engine come from new with fully synthetic oil?How much for an oil and filter change ?
how much would be to reapair the leaking brake light(i hear is a common problem)?

PS i don t have the owner manual.

thank!!
nofeeling
Getting There!

Re: What oil for pd diesel engine? !!!

Post by nofeeling »

oil needs to be this spec , VW 505.01 . At a vw dealer in December it was £25 5l ,Quantum Platinum 5/40 .hth .
sephiroth09
New

Post by sephiroth09 »

HI

Thanks for the reply ill try and get some from a vw dealership, never been to one before :mrgreen: .Thing are looking worse im afraid,i didn't drive the car for 2 days and now when i go over speed bump i can here a noise from the suspension(like jumping up and down form an old bed) so ill have to fix that as well :roll: Ill try and get everything sorted before summer :wink: as im planing a trip to germany.

ps:looking around i might be in line with other people mpg figure...? :?:
Ben90
Silver Member
Drives: Olympian Blue Polo TDi Sport

Post by Ben90 »

As long as it meets the VW spec for PD engines (501.01) as they have sensitive injectors. 506.01 or 507.00 is longlife spec I believe.

A lot of 9n and 9n3s have water ingress issues, some through the rear light clusters, not heard of the brake light bar leaking but I wouldn't rule it out. The hose that serves the rear window washer can also seperate quite easily at a join near the boot hinge I think and leak, maybe check to see if the washer works.
sephiroth09
New

Post by sephiroth09 »

Hi there

I finally found the problem that have caused my mpg to decrease, If you read my previous post you will notice that i was having some noise coming from the passenger front suspension ,well after looking under the car for days i realised that my tire was a bit low on air.... after spending 20p at my local gas station i was able to resolve both problem :shock: .My mpg and have increase and the noise from the front passenger side is gone.

What i like to know is which part could make that noise when the tyre is low on air?

The noise was quite loud and im consern about having done some damage :roll: ,becouse i drove the car for 4 days with that noise.I could hear the sound only over speed bump.i also tried to jump all Over the car but i couldn't reproduce the noise.

thanks
Dub_Dan
Gold Member

Post by Dub_Dan »

Could be the cold weather mate my tdi is s**t in the cold, takes a lot longer to heat up.