1.2 TSI - turbo to be replaced at 22500 miles

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
tilzer
New

Re: 1.2 TSI - turbo to be replaced at 22500 miles

Post by tilzer »

Der Finne. wrote:
tilzer wrote:These cars are not cheap and you should expect better quality :x
That is true. But then I must say that the high price does reflect in how they deal with warranty claims: at least in my case I've nothing but positive to say about how the VW service has dealt with the issues. It's all been absolutely hassle-free to me, not like some makes whose service network do their best to ar se the customer...
I agree, my dealer has been first class, no problem there. It just gets a little frustrating and embarassing turning up on there doorstep with these niggles. Went back with my dodgy accelarator pedal today, service manager agreed to replace it without question. Excellent result :D
scobb
New

Post by scobb »

So, my Jan 2012 1.2TSI has twice had a very similar experience to the OP. The first time this happened was about 3 months ago with 2,000KMs on the clock. I was driving along in urban traffic, under normal, light acceleration, when suddenly the warning chime sounded, 3 lights illuminated (EPC, TPM and traction control) and the car went into limp mode, idling terribly and virtually stalling. I managed to limp the car back to the dealer about 5 minutes' drive away (a nasty experience, especially at intersections, where pulling into traffic was scary because the car barely accelerated at all). I left the car running at the dealer, so they could hear/see the problem. The moment the engine was switched off and on again, the problem disappeared. My dealer advised there was a recall on the 1.2TSI for a spacer to be fitted somewhere in the vicinity of the turbo and a software update to be applied. This was duly done and the car ran fine for about 3 months.

Yesterday, now with 3,500KMs on the clock, I had a repeat of the above experience, with identical symptoms. Again, I was within about 3KMs of the dealer so limped to them and showed them the problem. They lent me a Polo for the day and investigated. Apparently, the first software update was still problematic, so another software update has been applied. Once again, the car now appears to be driving just fine.

The car is only 6 months old, so warranty isn't an issue, but am I driving a ticking time-bomb, I wonder? Comments/suggestions appreciated.
AJ_7
Gold Member

Post by AJ_7 »

Hi Scobb,

Interesting problem you've had there. I have a 1.2 TSI and i've now clocked up 23,000 miles (37,000 KM) and I have to say i've absolutley no issues at all. I've had the spacer fitted and the first software update and I thought that made the car a lot more responsive at lower rev ranges. I wish I could offer assistance but, touch wood, i've not had any problems at all! I'm very intruiged so if your research concludes any other information, please post here to let us know :)

Regards,

AJ
Göran
New

Post by Göran »

It is a common problem, but it is not problem with turbo, the replace some spacers, and fix with computer for free!
(I had same problem).
scobb
New

Post by scobb »

I just had this occur for the 3rd time in 6 months, with the car (approx 10 months old and 8,000KMs) going into limp mode while driving perfectly normally under light load. Switch off and switch back on again and the problem clears. I've already had the spacer and ECU upgrade done a few months back, so I guess it's back to the dealer for further investigation.
adz79
New

Post by adz79 »

i work for bmw/mini and minis are much worse i promise i have changed so many timing chains and turbos with stickey actuators and they use more oil than castrol can produce. its just a bi-product of over stressing tiny engines. Theres no replacement for displacement !
scobb
New

Post by scobb »

Quick update on my posting of 25th July 2012. I had 2 further "limp" mode experiences in the period Aug-Dec 2012. These were reported to VW and a further software update was issued and applied to my car in January, now with 7,000KMs on the clock. In the 3 months since this latest update, the car has performed faultlessly.