Throttle Body issues

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Jay7X
New

Throttle Body issues

Post by Jay7X »

Hi all, I need some sound advice, Ive recently brought a polo 05 plate

Within the next 3 weeks my car kept cutting out, if I managed to get it started the accerlation would at some point stop working and the car would rev on its own. I took it to Halfords who diagnosed the problem as throttle body error but said it would be around £500 for a new one but they will try and clean it and see what happens. It didnt help so I took it to a local garage and asked them to take it off and clean it. Once putting it back on the car was now worse, it revs on its own all the time and the whole engine is now shaking heavily. They have taken the error codes off but it hasnt helped. So they have tried two used throttle bodies which hasnt changed a thing.

After reading up, I thought ECU just needed reseting, we took the battery off last night and tried this morning but it runs the same, I dont think the ECU can be reset that way for this polo? They dont have access to VAG.COM

Right now I'm not sure what to do, Should I tow the car to VW?
Or is there something I'm missing here?
fonzooorooo
Bronze Member

Re: Throttle Body issues

Post by fonzooorooo »

I'm under the impression the ECU needs coding to the throttle body. (Certainly does if you swap it!) When ours was changed, the local garage we use had the kit to do it, so it's not out of the question that someone local to you might have the technology too.

The issue with them is electronic, not mechanical unfortunately, so a new one's the only solution...

When ours failed and I looked into it (a few years ago now!), my local motor factors could get one for a smidge under £200 (probably from fuelparts) which is massively cheaper than genuine, (pushing £400 at the time IIRC) but still quite a sting when you add fitting/coding.
soprano
New

Post by soprano »

Hi
As far as I am aware, you need the VAG-COm tool to recalibrate the Throttle Body(TB)
It's a simple process, literally 2 minutes.
I suggest finding out who in your area is willing to do this for you as the VW dealership will charge an arm and a leg.

While you at it, I recommend you get your error codes read.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

A bit late perhaps, but I agree with the previous posting. The engine's ECU needs to find out the end stop voltages of a new or removed and refitted throttle body.