Polo 9n3 problem

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
1FlyTDI!
New

Polo 9n3 problem

Post by 1FlyTDI! »

Hi guys. I posted this on our local vw forum in SA. Someone recomended that I might have problems with my steering rack ends. Maybe someone on here can shed some light. Here is my post

Last night myself and Bradley were on our way to a jol , we were going about 6th gear , 3000 RPM , busy decreasing speed after a run with another SL when suddenly the car feels as if its getting wheelhop ( I dont know how to describe the feeling ) and steering to the left heavilly , it got worse in a matter of seconds and we decided to pullover. We initially thought I had a flat wheel. When we got out the pressure seemed oky and everything else seemed fine ( it was dark next to the highway ). We got back in the car and all was 100% again, we nursed it to the nearest filling station to check a few things as I thought well if its not pressure it might be loose wheelbolts. Pulled in and checked wheelbolts and they were 100% aswell. Went to the jol, went home later and all was fine again. Meh little strange I thought.

This morning on my way to work about 500m away from work this comes back :mad: I pulled in and jacked the car up to have a look at CV's and check bolts. My next thought was that the disk might be loose , but then again , the wheelbolts would secure it in its place. Checked CV bolts , they were fine. Everything seems to be fine , Caliper , Disk , Shock , Droplink etc. Lowered the car and took it around the block. SAME F**k!N THING. Steering is veering heavilly to the left ( shakey , not like torque steer ) and feels as if the car gets wheelhop although I dont think wheelhop is the correct way to describe the feeling
onlydiesels
Getting There!

Re: Polo 9n3 problem

Post by onlydiesels »

I`d suspect that the outer cv joint is seizing up.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Could be a brake problem. Does the caliper get hot when it happens on the left?
1FlyTDI!
New

Post by 1FlyTDI! »

Car was put on a vcds and no issues at all. Took the car to Syd suspension for a suspension check and still no issues found. Swopped front and rear tires and the issue was away on the test drive ( I even asked to pull over so that I can drive and feel for myself and it was 100%. On my way home it was back. Fml.

Since tuesday the car had been behaving and I didnt have the issue once since then. Trying to drive in a behaved manner and only launched hard once this morning.

I am suspecting inner CVs is giving up , after 250k km's it should be time for them. This week was hectic for me but next week I will remove both CVs when I have time , then I can inspect them and see if it is CVs indeed.

@Alexperkins - what would hot brakes indicate ?? As soon as I have the issue again I'll check if there is a diff in brake temps between the 2 sides
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

It would mean the caliper is binding and the brakes are being applied when they shouldn't be
1FlyTDI!
New

Post by 1FlyTDI! »

alexperkins wrote:It would mean the caliper is binding and the brakes are being applied when they shouldn't be
Friday afternoon coming from my local racetrack the car started with the symptoms again. I had to nurse the car home for about 3kms only driving in 1st gear as the noise was unbearable. When I got back all the brakes were cold except for the left one where the issue and noise is coming from. On Saturday I ripped the calliper and pads off and all seemed fine so I put it all back again. Thanx to my buddy with a 74kw Polo I swopped out abs sensors with him ( same part number ) and we took the cars out and my issue persists.

Someone on our local SouthAfrican forum suggested that I replace my brakefluid and bleed the whole system after that. Not sure if that could cause or solve my problem but what do you think Alex ??
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

It could be worth bleeding but I still have a sneaking suspicion that the hot caliper has problems
1FlyTDI!
New

Post by 1FlyTDI! »

What could the issue with the calliper be ?? The brakes is still 100% normal. My dad keeps on telling me that it is CV's. The car now has 257k km's on ( roughly about 160k miles ) and still on original CV's. Also keep in mind the car is a pd130 tdi and now makes 160hp on the wheels so it makes a fair amount more than stock
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

My mk2 golf did 330k miles and counting on its original cv joints. I wouldn't think its that

The caliper may be binding whereby the piston isn't retracting properly
1FlyTDI!
New

Post by 1FlyTDI! »

It is not feeling as if the brake is binding and then stays binded for a while and then releases. As the wheel turns around I get the symptom , steering veers to the left and then releases and repeats itsself.

What my dad is thinking is that one of the ballbearings might get disturbed and then gets out of place and then I get the symptoms and then somehow it slots back into position and then I do not have any symptoms again , like I hadnt had for almost 2 weeks now.

Hope my explanation makes sense to you ??
1FlyTDI!
New

Post by 1FlyTDI! »

So I finally found the problem last friday. My outer CV ran dry and then got stuck at times , causing the problem I had been experiencing. Replaced the CV on monday and re greased the other 3 and all is good again 8)
onlydiesels
Getting There!

Post by onlydiesels »

onlydiesels wrote:I`d suspect that the outer cv joint is seizing up.
1FlyTDI!
New

Post by 1FlyTDI! »

onlydiesels wrote:
onlydiesels wrote:I`d suspect that the outer cv joint is seizing up.
:lol:
panason1c
Getting There!

Post by panason1c »

I would first remove the ABS main fuse to disable the system in order to eliminate that as the cause of your problem, if the problem persists I would then suspect it to be the n/s drive shaft (inner or outer cv's u/s)