2014 spec. BlueGT finally here :)

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
nry
Bronze Member

Re: 2014 spec. BlueGT finally here :)

Post by nry »

What I did notice last night is how white the headlight bulb colour is, I'm going to check them all tonight, however the DRL bulbs are distinctly orange in comparison! I had thought of changing all bulbs but looks like I may not need to.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

nry wrote:Yeah the suspension is fine for daily use, in honesty I'd prefer it a bit stiffer, there's an oodle of twitchiness out of corners which I cured on my old car with some decent shocks...

Overall it's a good balance for most drivers I would say.
Cheers. Just need to convice myself about the economy now :wink:
nry
Bronze Member

Post by nry »

No doubt a diesel would have been better for me, but at £20 a year car tax and the economy meaning my fuel bill is identical to my old LPG Astra, that ticked my boxes :)

The power is addictive, ,very addictive, and the other factor in my decision to go for the BlueGT was for this reason alone. Getting the same performance from a diesel was going to cost much much in car purchase price, hence negating any savings on fuel.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

nry wrote:No doubt a diesel would have been better for me, but at £20 a year car tax and the economy meaning my fuel bill is identical to my old LPG Astra, that ticked my boxes :)

The power is addictive, ,very addictive, and the other factor in my decision to go for the BlueGT was for this reason alone. Getting the same performance from a diesel was going to cost much much in car purchase price, hence negating any savings on fuel.
I drove the 177 tdi scirocco a few months (similar speed) and it is very addictive, but lots more money as is the golf GTD. I also like that you rarely see any Blue GTs about. I know I'd get stick from the guys in my office driving a polo, but all the GT owners seem to love their cars. One to ponder....
nry
Bronze Member

Post by nry »

The current Polo is just under 3cm shorter than the MkII Golf GTi...I suspect they'd not 'laugh' if you owned one of those :) It's no longer a small car in my opinion, I'm 6' 1" and it's not cramped at all.
wigit
Bronze Member

Post by wigit »

lancslad1985 wrote: Hi nry.

Beautiful car, very jealous! I REALLY want one - was offered one last year by the dealer but ended up with a 1.6tdi golf instead. Don't get me wrong, I love my golf but it's slow in comparison and the polo looks fun. I'm curious how firm the ride is on the BlueGT? This is one area my golf excels in (that and fuel economy). Is the BlueGT comfortable enough to be doing a 30 mile daily commute in?

Ta.
My Blue GT has just racked up 23K in 15 months and used for whole manner of journeys, including 50 mile each way commutes and no issues with comfort, easily copes with long hauls as wife did 400 miles in it last friday and i have gone to brussels and back in 24 hours in it, really frugal and fun and size means it is just nibble around town and in car parks

Manual gearbox is sweeter than mk5/6 Golf imho, blue silk turns heads, we will have two 7Rs in the household soon and this will still be weapon of choice for works

If i had another i'd go dsg as a recent convert, genuinely struggling with what to replace it with
nry
Bronze Member

Post by nry »

The price of the DSG put me off, that and if I do keep it longer term after the 3yrs, I wasn't convinced on repair and maintenance costs of any issues, but it may well be a long lasting box?
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

wigit wrote:
lancslad1985 wrote: Hi nry.

Beautiful car, very jealous! I REALLY want one - was offered one last year by the dealer but ended up with a 1.6tdi golf instead. Don't get me wrong, I love my golf but it's slow in comparison and the polo looks fun. I'm curious how firm the ride is on the BlueGT? This is one area my golf excels in (that and fuel economy). Is the BlueGT comfortable enough to be doing a 30 mile daily commute in?

Ta.
My Blue GT has just racked up 23K in 15 months and used for whole manner of journeys, including 50 mile each way commutes and no issues with comfort, easily copes with long hauls as wife did 400 miles in it last friday and i have gone to brussels and back in 24 hours in it, really frugal and fun and size means it is just nibble around town and in car parks

Manual gearbox is sweeter than mk5/6 Golf imho, blue silk turns heads, we will have two 7Rs in the household soon and this will still be weapon of choice for works

If i had another i'd go dsg as a recent convert, genuinely struggling with what to replace it with
What mpg do you get roughly? I don't expect to get anywhere near the 70mpg I'm getting from my Golf, but if it can get nearish the quoted 58mpg combined I'd be happy!
wigit
Bronze Member

Post by wigit »

car has a real mix of use but to put into perspective the GT is recording the same mpg as my old 500TA and probably gets driven harder, 45 at worst well into the 50s on a run, 50-60mph runs is where it shines, best it has recorded is 460 miles on a tank done on a trip to plymouth with AC on, not bad for a 140/150ps petrol imho

i think a polo with a 2.0tdi in it would be interesting like they have done in the A1
nry
Bronze Member

Post by nry »

2.0TDi I reckon would go through tyres like mad, another reason why a nice light petrol engine was my choice, though if they did a decent power 1.6 diesel I'd have been curious with the right car spec. The BlueGT was a good mix of exterior styling, alloys and nice interior on top of the well balanced engine. My driving is as you suggest for being good, averaging between 50 and 60mph - one you get much above 70mph the economy starts to suffer, but 70mph can usually manage to have the ACT active unless it's a decent incline.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

My Tiguan 2.0 TDI doesnt eat tyres :P
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

They did a 1.6 tdi in the last version but it was only the 90ps one. Can't understand why they've never put a faster diesel in the polo, it's just too slow!
ubiquitous-j
Bronze Member

Post by ubiquitous-j »

Ibiza and A1 are offered with the 2.0 TDI so its definitely possible on this chassis. Engine doesn't suit the car very well though, its a hell of a lot of weight over the front wheels compared to the small capacity petrol engines. Performance and handling is as a result compromised.
wigit
Bronze Member

Post by wigit »

ubiquitous-j wrote:Ibiza and A1 are offered with the 2.0 TDI so its definitely possible on this chassis. Engine doesn't suit the car very well though, its a hell of a lot of weight over the front wheels compared to the small capacity petrol engines. Performance and handling is as a result compromised.
in reality the Polo isn't the best handling machine to start off with so i cannot see that much of a compromise
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

ubiquitous-j wrote:Ibiza and A1 are offered with the 2.0 TDI so its definitely possible on this chassis. Engine doesn't suit the car very well though, its a hell of a lot of weight over the front wheels compared to the small capacity petrol engines. Performance and handling is as a result compromised.
I really like the BlueGT it has to be said, but I am considering a 2.0TDI A1 too. I love the exterior of the Ibiza and the Leon, but inside just felt really cheap when I drove it.