POLO GTI 2013 buy or not buy? owners review please

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
tommytse22
Bronze Member
Drives: polo gti

POLO GTI 2013 buy or not buy? owners review please

Post by tommytse22 »

Hello, new to the forum

i am thinking to buy a 2013 plate polo gti which i think it is a 6R?

just want some review of the car and have any one got the 2013 model does it still have the oil and gear box problem?

also want some feedback on what you think of the car?

Tommy

:D
hornmeister
Bronze Member

Re: POLO GTI 2013 buy or not buy? owners review please

Post by hornmeister »

2013 should be OK on the oil
The twin charges engines do drink a little more than non twin charged. I've put 2.5 litres in mine in just under 5000 miles. (not including 1 service) It seems to be more prevalent with cars driven in D all the time and less of an issue with S or manually controlled. tbh the car is such a hoot that you'll use D less and less.

The DSG is sublime, there's an oil change on that but that will be handled with a service FOC and if buying from a dealer I would have expected this to have been done.

It's a lovely car, you see very few on the road. If you're buying from a dealer get a written assurance on the oil consumption and check to see whether it smokes on hard acceleration on your test drive. I can;t think of another small car that's as grown up and well built which can also make you smile if you want to misbehave. :mrgreen:
tommytse22
Bronze Member

Post by tommytse22 »

hornmeister wrote:2013 should be OK on the oil
The twin charges engines do drink a little more than non twin charged. I've put 2.5 litres in mine in just under 5000 miles. (not including 1 service) It seems to be more prevalent with cars driven in D all the time and less of an issue with S or manually controlled. tbh the car is such a hoot that you'll use D less and less.

The DSG is sublime, there's an oil change on that but that will be handled with a service FOC and if buying from a dealer I would have expected this to have been done.

It's a lovely car, you see very few on the road. If you're buying from a dealer get a written assurance on the oil consumption and check to see whether it smokes on hard acceleration on your test drive. I can;t think of another small car that's as grown up and well built which can also make you smile if you want to misbehave. :mrgreen:
i see im getting it from the dealer it is a basic model of the GTI since i cant afford the top of the range one lol

but if its a great car then i think i need to go for it! currently a mk7 zetec s it has built in bluetooth and steering control! which i think i will miss the most tbh!

but you got any pictures of the car etc? or any experience ( good or bad ) with the car?

Tommy
ben4012
Getting There!

Post by ben4012 »

Shouldn't have any issues with the 2013 if it's the CTHE engine code. Touch wood, I'm yet to add any oil after 8200 miles and have only dropped around 1/4 of the hatched marking in the dipstick. I'm also rarely in S or on the paddles.
tommytse22
Bronze Member

Post by tommytse22 »

ben4012 wrote:Shouldn't have any issues with the 2013 if it's the CTHE engine code. Touch wood, I'm yet to add any oil after 8200 miles and have only dropped around 1/4 of the hatched marking in the dipstick. I'm also rarely in S or on the paddles.

what you most like about the car?
jamsop8
New

Post by jamsop8 »

Mines not a 2013 but a 2011.

Absolutely love it and really find it difficult to see what to replace it with that has the same quality and power.
Basically its sophisticated pocket rocket :D
tommytse22
Bronze Member

Post by tommytse22 »

jamsop8 wrote:Mines not a 2013 but a 2011.

Absolutely love it and really find it difficult to see what to replace it with that has the same quality and power.

Thats good to hear!

what have you done too the car and got any pictures?

ben4012
Getting There!

Post by ben4012 »

tommytse22 wrote:
ben4012 wrote:Shouldn't have any issues with the 2013 if it's the CTHE engine code. Touch wood, I'm yet to add any oil after 8200 miles and have only dropped around 1/4 of the hatched marking in the dipstick. I'm also rarely in S or on the paddles.

Haven't got any complaints yet. Probably the grin factor that comes from the acceleration and fun/£ that this car gives. There's not a lot on the road that gives it a run for the money in lots of areas. DSG is pretty cool too!
tommytse22
Bronze Member

Post by tommytse22 »

ben4012 wrote:
tommytse22 wrote:

Haven't got any complaints yet. Probably the grin factor that comes from the acceleration and fun/£ that this car gives. There's not a lot on the road that gives it a run for the money in lots of areas.

GLAD to hear that! should be picking it up this weekend! is there any hidden menus or cool stuff on the car i dont know about?
tommytse22
Bronze Member

Post by tommytse22 »

jamsop8 wrote:Mines not a 2013 but a 2011.

amazing! what have you done to the car? any mods or anything ?
benhowarth6
Bronze Member

Post by benhowarth6 »

I have had both a 2010 and now a 2013 model GTI, the earlier models are plagued with problems, however the only issue I've had with my 63 plate one is a weak fuel pump which was there from the start, changed swiftly under warranty and now the car is fine. I have put just over 10000 miles on mine in the past 6 months and it still feels fresh.

Here are a few pictures of mine:

I wouldn't worry too much about the spec of it as its relatively easy to retrofit bits into these. For example you say you'll miss the bluetooth, you can order the module and retrofit that with minor coding. The steering wheel controls are around £65 to buy and these are plug and play. And again the head unit you can easily swap the base one out for an RNS 510 or RCD 510.

The only mods I have done to mine are an induction kit and a number of VCDS tweaks.

To help a bit more,

What I love about it: The way it will always try and fight off bigger and faster cars and comes out surprising both me and the other guys in whatever it may be (Type R's, Fiesta ST's, R32's and one encounter with an RS4 :twisted:).
What I hate: Everyone calls it a Golf... No I don't really hate anything to be fair, maybe how it is a bit twitchy at hight speeds.

Hope this helps
Tooks
Bronze Member
Drives: 2011 Polo GTI

Post by Tooks »

Nice colour that! :D I prefer your shadow alloys to mine too.

People always call mine a Golf too, strange isn't it, because the Polo is very different to a Golf. I guess people think GTI = Golf and the lack of Polo written anywhere doesn't help.

They do punch above there weight don't they, I was struggling to keep up with a BMW 330d the other day, but when I checked the specs later and found they are running 255bhp these days, I didn't feel too bad. :lol:

What intake do you have? I can't decide if there is any benefit in one or not....
benhowarth6
Bronze Member

Post by benhowarth6 »

Tooks wrote:Nice colour that! :D I prefer your shadow alloys to mine too.

People always call mine a Golf too, strange isn't it, because the Polo is very different to a Golf. I guess people think GTI = Golf and the lack of Polo written anywhere doesn't help.

They do punch above there weight don't they, I was struggling to keep up with a BMW 330d the other day, but when I checked the specs later and found they are running 255bhp these days, I didn't feel too bad. :lol:

What intake do you have? I can't decide if there is any benefit in one or not....
I do absolutely love the colour, I get compliments on it all the time! The shadows do just make it look that little bit better!

I agree, I think its to do with the GTI and people just assume its a golf. Yes the new 330d's are very quick I wouldn't feel too bad about that ha!

Its just a custom one at the moment with a massive filter, its good and does feel a lot stronger pulling but because its not a CAI once the engine gets too hot it starts to struggle so I'm after an ITG/VWR one which has a cold air feed from the front. I would recommend one, it just adds a little more to the car.
tommytse22
Bronze Member

Post by tommytse22 »

benhowarth6 wrote:I have had both a 2010 and now a 2013 model GTI, the earlier models are plagued with problems, however the only issue I've had with my 63 plate one is a weak fuel pump which was there from the start, changed swiftly under warranty and now the car is fine. I have put just over 10000 miles on mine in the past 6 months and it still feels fresh.

Here are a few pictures of mine:

I wouldn't worry too much about the spec of it as its relatively easy to retrofit bits into these. For example you say you'll miss the bluetooth, you can order the module and retrofit that with minor coding. The steering wheel controls are around £65 to buy and these are plug and play. And again the head unit you can easily swap the base one out for an RNS 510 or RCD 510.

The only mods I have done to mine are an induction kit and a number of VCDS tweaks.

To help a bit more,

What I love about it: The way it will always try and fight off bigger and faster cars and comes out surprising both me and the other guys in whatever it may be (Type R's, Fiesta ST's, R32's and one encounter with an RS4 :twisted:).
What I hate: Everyone calls it a Golf... No I don't really hate anything to be fair, maybe how it is a bit twitchy at hight speeds.

Hope this helps
thank you for the picture and review! love it i cant wait to get my one now!

how did you do the VCDS tweaks? did you use ross techs cable or other cable? any links to where i can buy one like yours? i been looking around for mods and tweaks already! without evening owning the car yet! haha

also how did you know the fuel pump was going? what was the signs ? thank you
jamsop8
New

Post by jamsop8 »

tommytse22 wrote:
Thats good to hear!

what have you done too the car and got any pictures?

Remap
LED's
Android Touchscreen Headunit (Loving this!)
Reversing Camera
DSG paddle extensions
Sharkfin Ariel
K&N Airfilter

ps- funny about the Golf thing. Sometimes I think to myself I'm driving a Golf since everyone else calls it one. :lol: