Lucy's Polo 9n3

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
silver9n3
Getting There!
Drives: 9n3

Re: Lucy's Polo 9n3

Post by silver9n3 »

polo1.9TDI SPORT wrote:I wanted to spray my grills gloss black too as i'm fed up of them going grey, but found that autoglym rubber care(yellow label) brings them back up to black real nice so haven't bothered!

Have found a black gloss badge on ebay with a red backing which suits me perfectly! May have a butchers at that, then onto the aerosol wrap, that looks like a great idea

Common fault for breaking, mine has got stuck once, but so far and 9 years later touch wood its still working!!
Did you find out about the small latch after your's was wrenched off.

It is nice to see other 9n3's on here.

A lot of people have moved to the 6r's.

Will be keeping an eye out as to what you all get up to, so keep posting!!

what other plans you all got in the pipeline?
I can't afford anything else insurance wise haha, not even passed my test yet!

I'm focusing mainly on aesthetics at the mo.

Was wondering if anyone with a 9n/2/3 has removed the bump strips on the doors.

I got some fishing line under them and the painwork looked fine, but I fear there may be a recess further back?
Lucy_9n3
New

Post by Lucy_9n3 »

polo1.9TDI SPORT wrote:I wanted to spray my grills gloss black too as i'm fed up of them going grey, but found that autoglym rubber care(yellow label) brings them back up to black real nice so haven't bothered!

Have found a black gloss badge on ebay with a red backing which suits me perfectly! May have a butchers at that, then onto the aerosol wrap, that looks like a great idea

Common fault for breaking, mine has got stuck once, but so far and 9 years later touch wood its still working!!

Yeah I use meguiars trim polish but I think the gloss finish would look a bit different? Not sure tho, I guess it would have to be done just right so it didn't look bodged.
ah man, yeah i picked up a new fuel cap today (£43) just got to spray and fit it and then I've booked in to get the central locking sorted. :)

Yeah my other half had one of them, he's just got a facelifted scirocco R tho now which is making me want to freshen up mine.
awesome :)

ah I'd love to do out the inside, nice seats, steering wheel, stereo, dash flocked and GTI roof lining and interior pillars... but it all costs money.
polo1.9TDI SPORT
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 1.9 Tdi Sport

Post by polo1.9TDI SPORT »

Tell me about it, I have all the anthracite interior trim bar the headlining in dark grey, but its getting on that's the problem.
I haven't got the tools to pull my car apart :(

I had a look on-line and found a company that make seat covers to the exact digital copy of the ones already in.

They are air bag compatible and go over the existing seats, which is great as my seats are the sportline ones and to replace them as the bolsters are starting to go thin, VW want £150.00 for seat base and seat back.

But its all money money money.

So I was looking for alternative things to do to the interior.

I love the car when its clean and looks immaculate! Shame about the interior on mine, its a complete mess.
Lucy_9n3
New

Post by Lucy_9n3 »

polo1.9TDI SPORT wrote:Tell me about it, I have all the anthracite interior trim bar the headlining in dark grey, but its getting on that's the problem.
I haven't got the tools to pull my car apart :(

I had a look on-line and found a company that make seat covers to the exact digital copy of the ones already in.

They are air bag compatible and go over the existing seats, which is great as my seats are the sportline ones and to replace them as the bolsters are starting to go thin, VW want £150.00 for seat base and seat back.

But its all money money money.

So I was looking for alternative things to do to the interior.

I love the car when its clean and looks immaculate! Shame about the interior on mine, its a complete mess.
Oh feeling very jelly right now, I'd love to at least have the trim! Where did you get it from if you don't mind me asking? I've been looking for someone breaking their GTI so I can nick some parts but it's quite hard!
Ah okay that sounds good, mine are in pretty good nick tbf, I'd just like something a bit different. I think lil red has kinda set the bench mark with the whole ferrari seats although it defo helps when you know people in the industry otherwise it can get very expensive, but I want to do something different with mine that sets it apart. I think the 9n3 has so much potential if you're willing to put the time and money into it :)
Just dreaming here I'd love to slam it on coilies, loads of camber, put on some bronze 9j deep dishes, flare the arches, gti headlight, smoked rear lights, gloss everything and just make it look dark and mean on the outside. And then flat bottom steering wheel, xcarlink, JVC stereo, Vibe Blackair front speakers, black flocked dash, lilac stitching, maybe a lilac centre console. But I know how much money that is so I'm keeping it fairly simple :)
silver9n3
Getting There!

Post by silver9n3 »

I agree, it's all money.

The interior on standards 9n3's aren't too bad.

The headlining doesn't bug me, I could easily dye it for a fiver if I wanted to.

The pillars, I'd like to spray them matt black actually, anyone got pics of sprayed pillars?

My seats are the only downfall, the middle of the back and bottom are striped rainbow colours and it looks horrific! Would love to get them reupholstered in grey.
Lucy_9n3
New

Post by Lucy_9n3 »

silver9n3 wrote:I agree, it's all money.

The headlining doesn't bug me, I could easily dye it for a fiver if I wanted to.

The pillars, I'd like to spray them matt black actually, anyone got pics of sprayed pillars?

My seats are the only downfall, the middle of the back and bottom are striped rainbow colours and it looks horrific! Would love to get them reupholstered in grey.
Hmm dying? that sounds MUCH cheaper... How would you go about doing that? And good plan with spraying the pillars! I've got the grey seats with soft grey in the middle and I love them.
polo1.9TDI SPORT
Bronze Member

I managed to get my interior form a a chap off here.
£120 for the whole lot! :) Well chuffed.

Just need someone with some knowledge of getting the car apart!! I'm pretty hands on but don't have the tools or space to start dismantling!

The interior A pillars were about £10-£15 new each from vw as the ones i got off here were damaged slightly.

Ill keep an eye out, if i find any or hear anyone selling them etc ill let you know! Love the dark grey. I replaced all grab handles too to the dark grey and interior light.

Ive got some spax springs I was going to use, in the garage though not on, would sit just right where I want, but don't want to encourage any shock failure.
Its already on sport suspension from factory.

Gti headlights are awesome, see a load on eBay for about £120 for left and right quite often.
As for the rears i got the black backed ones which match the front gti's much better than standard.
I'm going for the red and black theme on mine :D
Love the flat bottom steering wheel soooo much, but i cant justify the prices they go for.
I upgraded my head unit and tweeters, leaving the doors as the original speakers are welded on so to speak, and I cant be arsed to drill them out and change them! Laziness!
Flocked dash looks great, and lilac stitching would be funky! Do it.....
Lilac Centre Console and Vent surrounds..........
polo1.9TDI SPORT
Bronze Member

Autoglym black dye supposed to be good, but have no experience with it i'm afraid.
silver9n3
Getting There!

Post by silver9n3 »

Lucy_9n3 wrote:

Hmm dying? that sounds MUCH cheaper... How would you go about doing that? And good plan with spraying the pillars! I've got the grey seats with soft grey in the middle and I love them.
Dying it would be very simple. Simply remove it, dye it using a product such as autoglym black dye following the instructions, and glue it back with a proper, quality spray glue.

How did you get grey seats, that's just what I want but mine are nasty multicoloured things!
silver9n3
Getting There!

Post by silver9n3 »

polo1.9TDI SPORT wrote:I managed to get my interior form a a chap off here.

Just need someone with some knowledge of getting the car apart!! I'm pretty hands on but don't have the tools or space to start dismantling!

The interior A pillars were about £10-£15 new each from vw as the ones i got off here were damaged slightly.

Ill keep an eye out, if i find any or hear anyone selling them etc ill let you know! Love the dark grey. I replaced all grab handles too to the dark grey and interior light.

Ive got some spax springs I was going to use, in the garage though not on, would sit just right where I want, but don't want to encourage any shock failure.

Gti headlights are awesome, see a load on eBay for about £120 for left and right quite often.
As for the rears i got the black backed ones which match the front gti's much better than standard.
Love the flat bottom steering wheel soooo much, but i cant justify the prices they go for.
I upgraded my head unit and tweeters, leaving the doors as the original speakers are welded on so to speak, and I cant be arsed to drill them out and change them! Laziness!
All depends on who you know really, if your mate is handy with cars then

GTI Headlights/joey'd headlights.

You can seperate the lense from the reflector, remove the bulbs and spray the reflectors black. Done.

Black lights

I'm doing this to mine on the weekend. Pick up a cheap lense smoke aerosol tint (basically a smoked gloss black) and mask off the surrounding area and do it yourself. I'll let you know how it goes! (doing my spoiler break light too)

You can save yourself a lot of money if you know how to do stuff, my badges would've cost me upwards of £20 but a can of spray paint and that's that!

Many things can be done on your own, you've just got to be brave enough to do it haha!
Lucy_9n3
New

Post by Lucy_9n3 »

silver9n3 wrote:

I got some fishing line under them and the painwork looked fine, but I fear there may be a recess further back?
Have a look at lil red's thread, she showed some pics, you can remove, fill, smooth and paint but I'm not brave enough to do it myself
Lucy_9n3
New

Post by Lucy_9n3 »

Have you got the codes for the A pillars? Just looking at that spray and they have lilac so may get myself a couple of cans and get spraying :P
Lucy_9n3
New

Post by Lucy_9n3 »

silver9n3 wrote:
Lucy_9n3 wrote:

Dying it would be very simple. Simply remove it, dye it using a product such as autoglym black dye following the instructions, and glue it back with a proper, quality spray glue.

How did you get grey seats, that's just what I want but mine are nasty multicoloured things!
It's the removing that freaks me out! How on earth would you even start doing that!? :shock: and they come standard with the 1.4 SE :)
silver9n3
Getting There!

Post by silver9n3 »

Lucy_9n3 wrote:
silver9n3 wrote:

Have a look at lil red's thread, she showed some pics, you can remove, fill, smooth and paint but I'm not brave enough to do it myself
I haven't got the balls for that haha!
silver9n3
Getting There!

Post by silver9n3 »

Lucy_9n3 wrote:

Have you got the codes for the A pillars? Just looking at that spray and they have lilac so may get myself a couple of cans and get spraying :P
Do you mean the sprayable vinyl I mentioned?

Personally, I wouldn't use it for things such as pillars incase of easy wear and tear. I'd sand them down, plastic prime then coat normally with a spray paint.

Plastidip/liquidcarwrap etc would work I'm sure but I'd question the longevity of it on parts which get touched a fair bit.