6N2 GTI windows with a mind of their own

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
gti6n2
New
Drives: 6N2 GTI

6N2 GTI windows with a mind of their own

Post by gti6n2 »

Hi,

Just joined and new to the forum, looking for some help!

Recently I picked up a 2001 6n2 GTI, had no troubles for the first couple weeks but now got some niggles and this problem..

Yesterday morning I went to my car to find both windows all the way down.. On winding them back up they went half way up, before putting themselves back down! They then went up ok. This morning I've gone out to find the passenger window down! It took a few flicks of the switch but it eventually went up, very slowly, and my batteries near flat.

I'm at a complete loss! Have spent the last hour or so searching here/clubpolo/google, and it seems windows can cause common issues, but I couldn't find anything relating to the issue I have? The windows were working fine prior to this, however the central locking hasn't worked since I've had the car, could this be related somehow?

I'll check the wiring between door and pillar later on as that seems common, any other ideas?

Any help greatly appreciated!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: 6N2 GTI windows with a mind of their own

Post by alexperkins »

Time for a new battery for a start

Check the wiring between the door and pillar as the wires often break here

Other than that, it could be faulty window switches, but im more inclined to think its a broken wire

Central locking not working will likely be corrosion on the pump in the boot behind the drivers side rear light
gti6n2
New

Post by gti6n2 »

So it's unlikely to be motors/regulators you think? Don't fancy messing with those to be honest!
Might have a look on eBay for new switches and check the wiring if the rain holds up sometime today :x

If the locking wouldn't have an effect on the windows I'll leave that for another day,
Thanks for the swift response :)
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

I would be heavily surprised if both regulators were faulty at the same time

We are seeing more and more 6n2s now with broken door wiring. Its likely a bad earth, or damaged wire causing a short.

Locking is pneumatic via a pump rather than electric motors on these :)
gti6n2
New

Post by gti6n2 »

Ok, sounds like the wires are my first port of call then, cheers!
gti6n2
New

Post by gti6n2 »

Right, neighbours just knocked on the door to tell me both windows are down again!
They were much more problematic to get back up, the passenger side being the worse of the two, going really slow and really reluctant to go past halfway up.

I had a quick look under the rubber boots in the door shuts and there were a couple where the insulations cut through, but only one wire looked actually damaged, have done my best to temporarily repair using insulation tape and have covered the windows with polythene sheet for the time being.
I have a mate who's pretty good with electrical stuff so he's going to give me a hand tomorrow, the wires didn't look damaged enough to cause an issue, where do they tend to break, is it inside the door, as all I've looked at is right where it exits the pillar to enter the door?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Its normally on the middle of between the pillar and door

Its possible you also have a faulty door microswitch - try and reset it by turning the key to the right and holding and the windows should go up
gti6n2
New

Post by gti6n2 »

I peeled the boot back as far as I could so I checked as much wiring as I could see, makes me think maybe it's not that that's the problem.. I think I'll get a new battery tomorrow (someones suggested they may need reactivating due to a low voltage/disconnected battery) and fingers crossed my mate helps me get somewhere with it :|
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

The pump itself gets wet and the circuit board inside gets damaged - a quick look wont diagnose it sadly
gti6n2
New

Post by gti6n2 »

Sorry, the circuit board in what gets damaged?

Changed the battery this afternoon and I managed to get the windows up at proper speed, they'd gone down within an hour or so though. It's now constantly blowing one of the fuses for the electric windows.. sounding like a short somewhere? Or any other suggestions?