Polo 6r gti alloys question

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
tommytse22
Bronze Member
Drives: polo gti

Polo 6r gti alloys question

Post by tommytse22 »

Hello, I currently own a polo gti 6r in black 5 doors with the dimoand cut standard alloys. It's coming to winter soon with all the icy weathers a head. I'm thinking to get some winter alloys rather then damaging them as they are expensive to refurb or buy. Can any one recommend some alloys I can buy ? Looking for second hand ones as its only for winter. What size can fit the polo best ?

Thanks
Mart!n-GTI-DK
Platinum Member
Drives: '14 Polo BlueGT

Re: Polo 6r gti alloys question

Post by Mart!n-GTI-DK »

With the brakesize on the GTI you can't fit smaller than 15" alloys...
tommytse22
Bronze Member

Post by tommytse22 »

Mart!n-GTI-DK wrote:With the brakesize on the GTI you can't fit smaller than 15" alloys...

Thanks for the reply so anything above 15inchh alloys with 5 studs should be okay ?
Mart!n-GTI-DK
Platinum Member
Drives: '14 Polo BlueGT

Post by Mart!n-GTI-DK »

tommytse22 wrote:
Mart!n-GTI-DK wrote:With the brakesize on the GTI you can't fit smaller than 15" alloys...

Thanks for the reply so anything above 15 inch alloys with 5 studs should be okay ?
As long at offset, width and bolt pattern fits yes...
tommytse22
Bronze Member

Post by tommytse22 »

Mart!n-GTI-DK wrote:
tommytse22 wrote:

Thanks for the reply so anything above 15 inch alloys with 5 studs should be okay ?
As long at offset, width and bolt pattern fits yes...
Sorry I'm a bit confused and not really good with alloys wheels size. So basically any thing above 15 inch and 5 studs will fit ? What's the offset and width ?

Thanks
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Maybe have a look for "Riverside", they are VW parts used a few years ago and are 6" wide rims with an offset of "ET40" and are 15" - I'm guessing here that Polo 6R GTI has 288mm front brakes, if not you will need something bigger.

How to define a wheel:- (1) diameter, ie 15" 16" 17" etc, (2) rim width in inches, 5.J 6.0J 6.5J etc (3) Wheel rim centre offset, called ET and marked in millimetres, ie ET38 ET40 ET46 etc (4) wheel centre hole (bore) diameter usually measured in millimetres and finally (5) wheel bolt fixing layout, called PCD in millimeters (Pitch Centre Diameter) and number of fixing bolts, ie 5 X 100.

Ebay in Germany tend to sell used Riverside without tyres now and again, if they end up being nasty and cheap you can get them powder coated, I did that for the 18" Audi ones I used in winter on my S4, for the Polo, I seem to have bought 4-off Riverside, just need to get the Michelin Alpins (185/60) to fitted. On the Riversides, as they are 6" wide, they can take 195 tyres, which could be your width of choice for winter use.

Unless someone has other information.

In fact after I spent hours working out what I needed and finding them on-line, I found a VW publication linked to this site - go looking as it gives all the sizes etc.

Edit:- one other think, you could ask VW, I did this via their "chat" on the VW UK site, "does the owners manual not tell you" was one answer, when pressed, all they could come back with was "you can only use the wheel size the car was supplied with", when that did not seem to work, " phone the technical department on Monday, or we can put you in touch with your local VW dealer" - all in all not too handy! I suggested the least that this adviser could do was to bring this topic (winter wheel/tyre sizes) up with someone at VW UK and get it written into the UK documents supplied with the car, a bit like Audi does, and it seems like Skoda does.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

tommytse22 wrote:
Sorry I'm a bit confused and not really good with alloys wheels size. So basically any thing above 15 inch and 5 studs will fit ? What's the offset and width ?

Thanks

Unfortunately, there's a bit more to it than just getting a set of 15" wheels with a 5 stud bolt pattern to consider. I've included some links to various sites that include lots of useful information;

http://directalloys.co.uk/technical-guide/ Explains offset width and PCD/stud pattern. Wheel centre bore (CB) of replacement wheels is another factor; if it's smaller than the Polo's CB of 57.1, the wheel won't fit on the hub. If it's larger, you'll need spigot rings to make sure the wheel is a tight fit on the hub - explained in the link provided.

Polo OEM wheel specs; http://www.wheel-size.com/size/volkswag ... 18tsi-eudm

I've included a link below to an offset calculator that works out the effect of fitting wheels with a different offset to your current wheels - i.e, whether or not they'll stick out further than your current wheels or fit too far under the wheelarch and foul the suspension.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Of ... or#Results

Bear in mind you might also need to change your wheel bolts as well; https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/tyres-advi ... l-or-alloy
tommytse22
Bronze Member

Post by tommytse22 »

Thanks for the reply guy, I'm sorry but nothing really is helping for me to understand haha. What are the size that I need to look out for ? Can some one give me a example of some sizes that will fit my car ?

Sorry to be a pain

Thanks
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

One thing, that "Polo OEM wheel size" site that the link is for does seem to be not quite what gets fitted in Europe in all cases, so tread wearily there! (hint, there is a USA flag at the top of the page), ie don't go looking for some of the wheels in the offsets quoted, and other wheel sizes/tyre sizes are used and some not used.

To the OP, if you do not understand all this stuff, then you should really only rely on professional advice, it is okay some of us telling you what you should buy, but if it goes wrong then you are stuffed and out of pocket.

All that has been offered here so far (I think) is general advice, it is now up to you to go and use it wisely - and that could mean that what this advice is doing is letting you limit what you are now asking for.

Edit:- tip of the day!!! take a look on the mytyres website, look under winter tyre/wheel package using your car details, it will throw out what it thinks are suitable wheel sizes and corresponding winter tyre sizes, then take it from there.
nats148
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 1.8 GTI - Golf Anniversary

Post by nats148 »

tommytse22 wrote:Thanks for the reply guy, I'm sorry but nothing really is helping for me to understand haha. What are the size that I need to look out for ? Can some one give me a example of some sizes that will fit my car ?

Sorry to be a pain

Thanks
As said best to ask professional advice but:

Volkswagen - Polo (2010 - )
PCD: 5x100
Center Bore: 57.1
Offset: 43
Mounting: Bolt - 14 x 1,50

Therefore these should fit http://www.wheelfitment.eu/PCD/5x100/57.1.html
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

tommytse22 wrote:Hello, I currently own a polo gti 6r in black 5 doors with the dimoand cut standard alloys. It's coming to winter soon with all the icy weathers a head. I'm thinking to get some winter alloys rather then damaging them as they are expensive to refurb or buy. Can any one recommend some alloys I can buy ? Looking for second hand ones as its only for winter. What size can fit the polo best ?
Thanks
Okay, none of this seems to be working, so, what exactly are you aiming to achieve here, is it:- 1) get hold of some suitable second hand VW alloys for use in winter to fit same size summer tyres to and use only in winter, 2) get hold of some suitable second hand VW alloys for use in winter to fit same size winter tyres to and only use in winter, 3) get hold of some suitable second hand VW alloys of another size to fit another approved size summer tyres to and only use in winter, 4) get hold of some suitable second hand VW alloys of another size to fit another approved size of winter tyres for only use in winter - or what?

Lots of info on "other lists" on the internet do seem to be a bit suspect maybe because they are compiled in another country outwith Europe, or maybe because they are compiled by someone that makes or markets aftermarket alloy wheels.

I have suggested a suitable VW Polo 6R alloy which I have bought for use on a 1.2TSI 110PS Polo 6R 6C, and my intention was to keep mobile and safe in winter, while saving the original fit 16" Rivazzo wheels and summer tyres for summer use only. So, I bought a set of four VW Riverside alloys which are 15" X 6J H2 ET40 ( VW P/N 6R0 601 025L )and fitted them with 185/60 X 15 88T Michelin Alpin tyres. One thing though, as these wheels are 6J wide, they are suitable for fitting 195 section tyres to of the correct aspect ration - ie maybe "55" or "50" - I have not worked that out. Your other, but more expensive option is using VW alloys, would be to get hold of a second hand set of Rivazzo 16" 7J H2 ET46 ( VW P/N 6R0 601 025AF )and fit them with what ever takes your fancy!
tommytse22
Bronze Member

Post by tommytse22 »

Thanks guys, I will look in to all the information :). I might even just stick some used VW wheels on just for winter. I was going go for looks but I don't think that's the point, the point is to protect my current ones for the winter. I shall have a look thanks for everyone's help
tommytse22
Bronze Member

Post by tommytse22 »

Thanks guys, I will look in to all the information :). I might even just stick some used VW wheels on just for winter. I was going go for looks but I don't think that's the point, the point is to protect my current ones for the winter. I shall have a look thanks for everyone's help
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Well in my case, I got steel wheels with winter tyres fitted for wife's last car as it was a work horse - out every day, and kept the alloys for summer use only. Now that she has retired, I will probably use the "winter wheels/tyres" for 6 months and the "summer wheels/tyres" for 6 months, so this time looks etc counted more, as well as function, and as her last winter tyres (Michelin Alpin A3) lasted for 5 winters and still have 6.5mm tread left in them, I am no longer worried about wasting these tyres by leaving them on too long. Also, the "quality/usefulness" of premium winter tyres only lasts for maybe 6 years, as the rubber compound ages and hardens, so after 6 years they are best used as summer tyres etc until they are down to 2mm tread.