7 month old Blue GT suspension issue

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Fedupvw
New
Drives: 2014 polo blue gt

7 month old Blue GT suspension issue

Post by Fedupvw »

Hi Guys,

Changed my alloys to the winter alloys today.
All going well until I jacked the drivers rear side up, just as I got it high enough to get the wheel off, the car fell off the jack, not fun but the spare was underneath as a back up and the wheel was still attached at that point. Problem was the cars suspension did not compress at all. I.E. The wheel was touching the ground but the car was still in the air with the suspension fully extended. I got the jack out repositioned it and jacked it back up and the car still hadn't lowered not even onto the spare.

The suspension has always creaked & groaned when I have got in but I thought it was because It gets washed a lot! When I put the spare back in the boot I had to push down to get the car back to its normal level.

I am not being stupid am I it shouldn't do that should it?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: 7 month old Blue GT suspension issue

Post by RUM4MO »

Strange!
I'm guessing that you had the handbrake on at this time and it was both sides at the rear that remained "raised" higher than normal.
As you know now, it is best to use a trolley jack as I'm guessing that you used the car's own emergency jack.
Out of interest, what size of wheels do you use in summer, and what size in winter - as well as "size" of winter tyres?
TheFrog
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Blue GT

Post by TheFrog »

How weird. I removed the rear wheels when my Feb 15 BGT was new to fit spacers and didn't notice anything like that happening.
Fedupvw
New
Drives: 2014 polo blue gt

Post by Fedupvw »

Rum4mo
Yes I did use a trolley jack, no idea how it came off, a bit scary to be honest but there you go, at least I know enough not to get under the car without jack stands.

The handbrake was on, would this have had anything to do with the suspension not compressing?
Didn't notice the other side being the same as too busy trying to get jack back under!

Got another set of blue gt alloys cheap as misspelled on eBay so just put those on with normal tyres. I live on main roads so don't really need winter tyres just worried about trashing my best set with the salt on the roads.

What I was really wondering was if I should be taking back to dealers to look at. Only want to do that if I have too as they still haven't sorted my wing mirrors opening when they feel like it when knob is turned to shut. Apparently I am "doing it wrong"!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I have fitted wife's last Polo and this new Polo with Audi TT jacking point protectors, they are just securely located hard rubber circular pads that stay fixed to the car and you can place the trolley jack under them, so the correct trolley jack lifting points end up being clearly "highlighted".

What I meant about the handbrake causing this is, you might have ended up with the rear of the car being moved forward after the jack was dropped back down, if the car was also in gear, it could end up with the rear beam being pivoted on its cranked ends, a bit like if you hold the car with the handbrake on and try to reverse, the rear of the car "lifts up".

Getting a spare "winter use" set of same wheels and tyres cheaply on ebay due to being misspelt, how jammy is that!! (I could only dream about that).

Dealers, hum, in general they are best avoided, I've always fixed things myself and only involved them if cost was going to be high while the car was under warranty.

I'm too old so here goes, many years ago, I "enlightened" my local main Ford dealer's service desk to the fact that a car only lasts so many miles, or so many years, or so many trips to a dealers workshop - that came as a complete surprise to them! (I think)