App Connect

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
georgebentham
New
Drives: Polo 6C GTI

App Connect

Post by georgebentham »

Hi all,

My new GTI doesn't have the app connect option in the menu?
Everything I'm reading on here tells me that all late 2015 models should have this on there?

I've checked and it is the latest version of the MIBII hardware.
Car was built in August 2015.

Been on to both garages local to me and neither of them seem to know a thing about the feature, or how to get it working.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me so that I have some ammunition to go back into the garages with??

Any advice or tales from previous experiences with this would be appreciated!?
the_bakerboy3685
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 Polo 6C GTI

Re: App Connect

Post by the_bakerboy3685 »

georgebentham wrote:Hi all,

My new GTI doesn't have the app connect option in the menu?
Everything I'm reading on here tells me that all late 2015 models should have this on there?

I've checked and it is the latest version of the MIBII hardware.
Car was built in August 2015.

Been on to both garages local to me and neither of them seem to know a thing about the feature, or how to get it working.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me so that I have some ammunition to go back into the garages with??

Any advice or tales from previous experiences with this would be appreciated!?
Did you add it as an option when the car was ordered? It's a £100 option to spec.

Do you have the Discovery Navigation?
duffman
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2015

Post by duffman »

I think there is some conflicting info on here, as far as I'm aware the AppConnect is a £100 optional extra.

Some have suggested that if you have the Nav package then you get AppConnect. I don't think there's anything to that effect on VWs website though so you may struggle to argue the case.
georgebentham
New
Drives: Polo 6C GTI

Post by georgebentham »

Don't have nav and didn't spec from factory as it was already built. My car is a cancelled order so somebody else had the fun of speccing the extras!

My question is simply - is it just a software update. And is the update available yet??
duffman
Bronze Member

Post by duffman »

My understanding is your dealer would have to enable it for a cost, I don't think you would get it enabled via a software update
CJO
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo GTi 2016

Post by CJO »

It'll be about £170 to add afterwards. It is a software enablement but it's done using your VIN number which the VW garage supply back to the motherland for an activation code and can then enable the feature via the OBD port. Allegedly a hack exists but no one is able to back that up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mhgti
New
Drives: GTI MY 2016

Post by mhgti »

Just last week our base spec Polo GTI arrived. The car was prebuilt so we didn't have the option of specing the app connect.
I just spoke to the parts dept at the local VW garage and he gave me the code 5G0054830A, only works with MY2016 Polos.
Can be added to the Composite Media head unit but needs Pr code I8E -(I not 1). I checked the front of the service book and the I8E is already speced.

As has been mentioned I can't see any option on the head unit to add the code, so I presume it requires a software update or dealer intervention- TBC.
The parts dept quoted by £213.90 incl VAT for the part that includes 20 mins for fitting. £199 without fitting (how?)
The dealer had the part as another customer had ordered one- as mentioned its a document in a DVD case.

Anyone had this done yet ??? if it was £100 then yes, £213 hmmmmm
CJO
Bronze Member

Post by CJO »

It is just a software update that is activated against the VIN number of your vehicle.

Shop around as some dealerships in the south west seem to be offering it for around £170 according to other forums. Though now you've said that it makes me wonder if that was minus the VAT.
mhgti
New

Post by mhgti »

I'm not convinced it is just a license key.
I went onto a Golf Forum, c9onfusingly there seems to be 2 different Composition head units, both fitted to MY2016.
I can't see anywhere to enter a license key on my unit, on the newer head units you have the option to enter the code.
Can you see an option to enter an App Connect key code?

My head unit is Device Part Number: 3Q0035820A, Hardware H24, Software 0245, Media Codec 2101.0.0.10
CJO
Bronze Member

Post by CJO »

That's odd. I was only aware of two. The one without Nav and the one with. Both of these have the option for the car net. That said I'm looking at purely from the GTi if there is a lower unit on lesser specced cars then I may not have notified but yours is a GTi? It's definitely a MY16 build and not a registered for 16 build because it was a cancellation?

JackM_24
Getting There!
Drives: Soon to be 2015 Polo GTI

Post by JackM_24 »

Anyone got any idea of how to get this screen up to input a code? I've fished around and found nothing so I'm assuming it's dealer only
jacksb7
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 6C

Post by jacksb7 »

Apple now offer CarPlay wirelessly, the Polo's still require a wired connection...does anyone know of a software update potentially in the works to allow it to function wirelessly?
mhgti
New

Post by mhgti »

As confirmed here http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/11354 ... any/page-4
there are two different head units. Press and hold the Menu button to see the details.
If you have Part number - 3Q003820A then there is NO option for entering App Connect code. Looks like you have to swap the head unit to below to get App Connect ££££
If you have Part number - 3Q0035842A then there is an option for entering App Connect code. Order it from the dealer for ~£210 for a key code in a DVD box.

I asked VW for my production date and they say 22nd November 2015. I've asked them to confirm when the change over happened out of interest, they said they'll get back to me!
The skoda site also mentions you STD2Plus_EU software to have the App Connect code, and this relates to the 3Q0035842A hardware.

So I'm out of luck and can't have it :-(
duffman
Bronze Member

Post by duffman »

Just to add a bit more confusion, my device no is 3Q0035874A. I have AppConnect factory installed.

So does that mean there are 3 versions? One with no option to AppConnect, one with the option to activate with a code, and one with AppConnect factory installed?

Edit: Mine is a Polo GTI, built w/c 5th Oct 2015. Factory installed Navigation and AppConnect
Last edited by duffman on Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJO
Bronze Member

Post by CJO »

Ok. Perhaps it'll be easier if when answering these everyone posts when their car was physically built and what specific model of car it is as well?