Engine management light, PO116 code.. need advice

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
maidenboy
Getting There!

Engine management light, PO116 code.. need advice

Post by maidenboy »

Right, engine management has been intermittent since I got my car.. Put a code reader on it about 2 weeks ago, got PO116 engine coolant sensor circuit problem. I replaced the sensor just this weekend with a genuine VAG item.. But the code keeps rearing its head.. Now my car has had an engine and gearbox replacement at some point in the past. So, seeing how the sensor is new, and its the circuit thats out of range, I figured it may be a dodgy earthing point somewhere.
So my question is... Where are they? Any I should look for inparticular?
dying to get rid of this light now.. its very frustrating.. ruins an otherwise immacculately clear dash... lol :)
maidenboy
Getting There!

Re: Engine management light, PO116 code.. need advice

Post by maidenboy »

Anyone know where All the earthing points on the polo are? or can point me in the direction of a schematic or something? Anything?
maidenboy
Getting There!

Post by maidenboy »

Anyone had this code before? or know where the coolant sensor goes to ground? dont suppose its the same as the alarm system ground is it? under the scuttle panel?
Any experience of this code before would be a great help..
maidenboy
Getting There!

Post by maidenboy »

Still struggling with this code, Nobody can shed any light? have searched every post on here, but nothing specific crops up.. At wits end now.. :(

And getting bored of talkin to myself.. haha
joe2612
Gold Member

Post by joe2612 »

Does it come on when you start the car and runs continuously throughout the journey?
maidenboy
Getting There!

Post by maidenboy »

No It will come on for a day or 2, then dissappear for a week or so, then come back on.. I normally clear down the code when it pops up, but when i dont it seems to come and go of its own accord, which would suggest a wiring problem somewhere?
BobbyG
Bronze Member

Post by BobbyG »

I had my earthing cable replaced at VW the other day.....car runs like a dream now.

Beforehand the Engine Management light would come on intermittently, the car would be "jumpy" at low revs, and I got an error code on VAG-Com (although not the samer as the one you have).
maidenboy
Getting There!

Post by maidenboy »

Right, I replaced the earthing cable on the car, and have now soldered in a brand new connection onto the front lambda sensor, as the old one had had it.
Car is a hell of alot smoother, and the alarm (which was going off randomly) has stopped.
However, Im still now getting the same P0116 Engine Coolant Temp Sensor/Circuit Range/Preformance problem.
And In addition, P0140 02 Sensor Circuit/no activity Detected Bank 1 sensor 2 Now Am I right in assuming this is the post CAT 02 sensor?? Or is it the one you can see on the manifold (that i just rewired?) please help.. any help atall will be greatly appreciated.
:D
geo stronach
New
Drives: 2003 polo

Re: RE: Re: Engine management light, PO116 code.. need advice

Post by geo stronach »

maidenboy wrote:Right, I replaced the earthing cable on the car, and have now soldered in a brand new connection onto the front lambda sensor, as the old one had had it.
Car is a hell of alot smoother, and the alarm (which was going off randomly) has stopped.
However, Im still now getting the same P0116 Engine Coolant Temp Sensor/Circuit Range/Preformance problem.
And In addition, P0140 02 Sensor Circuit/no activity Detected Bank 1 sensor 2 Now Am I right in assuming this is the post CAT 02 sensor?? Or is it the one you can see on the manifold (that i just rewired?) please help.. any help atall will be greatly appreciated.
:D
Could you show/tell where it is and how you done it????

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
937carrera
Silver Member
Drives: 2000 Polo GTi

Post by 937carrera »

Bank 1 sensor 2 is the post cat o2 sensor