New GTI

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
nats148
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 1.8 GTI - Golf Anniversary

Re: New GTI

Post by nats148 »

afk wrote:Hi all! Been a while since I've been on here. So long that I'm already due my first service!

With that in mind, I went to my local VW and was quoted £189 for what is essentially just an oil change which seems a bit much to me :shock:

Thoughts anyone? or is this actually the standard rate? Online it shows £159 but apparently this is only for vehicles 3-15 years old.

Thanks in advance
Seems a bit excessive, I paid £249 (I think) for a 2 year service plan.

*edit* this might be worth a try? http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/price-match
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Gave my GTI a good clean, decontamination and wax over the last couple of days. Dealer prep prior to picking it up on 1st March was OK-ish but not not brilliant. I'm happy with it now. A few pictures;

duffman
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2015

Post by duffman »

Lovely colour that, really nice looking motor. The Serron alloys look sharp too. Personally I still prefer the standard ones though. Fairly unique car though, not many in that colour and probably even fewer with those alloys.
Andy4791
Silver Member

Re: RE: Re: New GTI

Post by Andy4791 »

Looks cracking m8, yeah dealers prep leaves a lot to be desired. Mine has fair few swirls, got lots out when I polished after I had it. Needs a slightly heavier cut pad n polish tho next time I think to rid em for good.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Andy4791 wrote:
SRGTD wrote:Gave my GTI a good clean, decontamination and wax over the last couple of days. Dealer prep prior to picking it up on 1st March was OK-ish but not not brilliant. I'm happy with it now. A few pictures;
Looks cracking m8, yeah dealers prep leaves a lot to be desired. Mine has fair few swirls, got lots out when I polished after I had it. Needs a slightly heavier cut pad n polish tho next time I think to rid em for good.
Thanks Andy and duffman for the comments. I went for the Serron alloys, as the standard Parabolica alloys looked a challenge to clean, with all those 'hidden' black spokes. The spaces between the spokes on the Serrons mean I can get my Wheel Woolies through easily and clean the backs of the wheels.

I had my DA polisher out yesterday on the swirly black plastic trim on the B pillars and the edge of the tailgate spoiler. The dealer-prepped paintwork wasn't too bad, so I probably won't polish the paintwork with a cutting polish until later in the year if it needs it. Yesterday's and today's efforts involved decontaminating the wheels and paintwork, DoDo Juice Lime Prime on the paintwork - applied by DA on a white hexlogic pad - followed by Black Hole glaze and a Coat of Collinite 845 wax. Wheels were treated with Gtechniq C5, and tyres and black exterior trim dressed with FinishKare Top Kote trim dressing.

I was happy with my efforts, and it now looks like it should have when I picked it up!
DKPOLOGT
Bronze Member
Drives: Blue GT

Post by DKPOLOGT »

[quote="SRGTD"]Gave my GTI a good clean, decontamination and wax over the last couple of days. Dealer prep prior to picking it up on 1st March was OK-ish but not not brilliant. I'm happy with it now. A few pictures;

Nice.

If you dont plan on lowering, at least put in the cheap 4mm rubber pads for the springs on the rear. The oem are 11mm, so it comes ~7mm closer to the ground.

Heres my bluegt with oem suspension and the 4mm pads.

/ *L*
Wilxay
Silver Member

Post by Wilxay »

I've spotted more swirls than I was prepared to find on mine today. I have a DA polisher but I'm unsure how it's going to affect the fresh lifeshine if I start trying to get rid of the swirls.
Andy4791
Silver Member

Post by Andy4791 »

Wilxay wrote:I've spotted more swirls than I was prepared to find on mine today. I have a DA polisher but I'm unsure how it's going to affect the fresh lifeshine if I start trying to get rid of the swirls.
It's would prob remove that I'm sure. Dealers really are not carefull enough with new car prep, down to time and cost I know but come on these motors are 20 grand touches, surely they can arrange for careful and knowlegable people to prepare them.
jacksb7
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 6C

Post by jacksb7 »

SRGTD wrote:Gave my GTI a good clean, decontamination and wax over the last couple of days. Dealer prep prior to picking it up on 1st March was OK-ish but not not brilliant. I'm happy with it now. A few pictures;
Looks good, nice to see another Silk Blue one on here. Mines a 3 door with the Parabolica alloys, I did originally spec the Serrons but changed my mind so nice to see how they look without using the configurator.

Haven't put a pic of mine on here for a while actually, been using Instagram a bit more so here goes;
andy_gdon
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi

Post by andy_gdon »

DKPOLOGT wrote:

Nice.

If you dont plan on lowering, at least put in the cheap 4mm rubber pads for the springs on the rear. The oem are 11mm, so it comes ~7mm closer to the ground.

/ *L*

How does this work?!
DKPOLOGT
Bronze Member
Drives: Blue GT

New GTI

Post by DKPOLOGT »

andy_gdon wrote:
DKPOLOGT wrote:

Nice.

/ *L*

How does this work?!

They sit on top of the spring. Kind of rubber spacer/cushion

Nr 6

And the oem vs the smaller one. 7mm diff.

Super easy to install. Lowers the rear 7mm extra.

Part no. 1J0 512 149

/ *L*
Timmsy
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 Polo GTI

Post by Timmsy »

DKPOLOGT wrote:

Nice.

/ *L*
What's this about 4mm pads?

EDIT: just seen the post above! Tempted to fit those toin when it turns up as the rear looks a bit high
Wilxay
Silver Member

Post by Wilxay »

What is a dealers response when you tell them your not happy with swirls in the paintwork. I had lifeshine applied as part of my deal and I knew I was taking a risk. I've found a few too many swirls than I was expecting
Andy4791
Silver Member

Post by Andy4791 »

They will prob suggest having it to rectify, I would let their sponge monkeys near it again tho. I'd tell them u want a pro detailer to sort it if ur that unhappy. Sorry to hear they've messed it up a bit
minefields
New
Drives: 2016 polo gti

Post by minefields »

Wilxay wrote:What is a dealers response when you tell them your not happy with swirls in the paintwork. I had lifeshine applied as part of my deal and I knew I was taking a risk. I've found a few too many swirls than I was expecting
This is the exact reason I have already told my dealership to not touch the paintwork at all and a local detailer will sort it and put a proper coating on, I think it will be cquartz or the gtechniq, both will last much longer than the lifeshine. The lifeshine you can buy from ebay for about £30 and apply yourself, the problem is the dealership won't spend the time that is required to apply it properly. Ideally it would need a full decontamination and a proper machine polish and then a wipedown in order for the coating to stick to the paint properly.
Also my detailer will apply a ceramic coating to the alloys and all trim pieces and use products on the interior to protect the fabric and plastics. All for less than what VW charge for the lifeshine.

If I were you I try and get them to foot the bill for a proper detailer to come in and put it right. If not get a refund on the lifeshine and use the money to get a decent detailer to do the work.

I have posted earlier in the thread of the company I am going to use, just as an example of how to prep the car correctly to avoid the bad paint. It also show why the dealerships will never be that careful, it just takes too long.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... p?t=367009 and the cost is going to be less than the lifeshine