Antenna Amplifier?

Discuss In Car Entertainment
Spartan789
New
Drives: VW Polo 1.4 16v 9n3

Antenna Amplifier?

Post by Spartan789 »

Hi, I fitted a new head unit (2015 Kenwood) in my car but my head unit doesn't have a blue wire (power continuous) coming out of it to connect the blue wire from the antenna adapter to. FM radio seems to come in fine although can be patchy depending on location, so i'm not sure if I need to connect the blue wire from the aerial antenna adapter. There is a blue/white wire on the HU that I tried connecting it to but it makes the radio lose reception and the signal really weak, making it unable to pick up some stations, so I disconnected it. Does the blue wire need to be connected for Polo's :?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Antenna Amplifier?

Post by alexperkins »

If the aerial adapter has a wire it needs to be powered. Connect it to an ignition live
Spartan789
New
Drives: VW Polo 1.4 16v 9n3

Post by Spartan789 »

alexperkins wrote:If the aerial adapter has a wire it needs to be powered. Connect it to an ignition live
I had it connected to blue/white on the harness adapter before but that killed the reception rather than making it better, same for blue/white coming from head unit e.g. when it's connected, the radio can't pick up Radio 1 but as soon as I disconnect it, it can pick the station up again. Without connecting it, the stations are coming through crystal clear and the reception only detoriarates slightly when driving through certain areas so i'm not sure if I need to connect it. There's no other spare pin on the harness adapter that I can connect it to and the head unit doesn't have a blue continuous wire either. Is it possible that the HU is already amplifying the antenna like the stock radio?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Normally HUs don't have an amplifier circuit unless they are original

Has the blue/white got a +12V reading on it?