Need a bit of help with my Polo light switch....

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
edball
New
Drives: Polo '09 6R

Need a bit of help with my Polo light switch....

Post by edball »

So today I decided to tint my front fogs yellow on my 6R. So I finish and all good and decide to see what they look like with the fogs on. Now I've only had the car a few months, and have never had to use my fogs before. My light switch was kinda stuck and wouldn't de-press for fogs, and long story short the knob came off and everything inside snapped. So I now have this. Image I know about removing the whole switch by depressing while in 0 and then pulling out, but even when i try that with the pliers using the plastic part in the middle the thing doesn't budge. Now the weird part. When my lights are on the the engine is on, the engine no longer requires the key, and stays running when I take it out. It only turns off when I turn the lights off (using pliers to switch it back to off)??? I reallly can't afford to take it to the shop, especially just having a puncture, so ideally want to just swap the whole unit for a new one, but I cant if i cant get it off. Can i just mash everything up and pull bits off until its all out?

My tints btw ;) Image
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Need a bit of help with my Polo light switch....

Post by iichel »

i cant see the image but basically, you'll need to pull every little piece out without overly damaging the trim.
the trim is not sold seperately so you'll need to be very careful
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Need a bit of help with my Polo light switch....

Post by alexperkins »

Once you get the face and handle off the light switch you can use a little flat head screwdriver to disengage the locking mechanism and free it from the dash. I've had to do this once before