GTI Owners; Does your car encourage bad driving behaviour by other drivers?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

As the title says. Probably most relevant to GTI owners, but other non-GTI Polo owners, please feel free to contribute.

One of the things I like about my GTI is its subtle looks that don't shout 'race me' to other drivers. Up until now it seems to have worked, but today on three separate journeys I had other drivers almost getting in my luggage space, egging me on to go faster;
  • -young lady driver in an 05 plate Polo; got so close I couldn't see her headlights in my rear view mirror. She eventually gave up and dropped back to a safer distance.
    - another young lady in an old Fiesta driving in a similar manner to the 05 Polo driver.
    - a young lad in a current shape black Fiesta ST trying to impress his girlfriend. When he eventually realised I didn't want to play his games, he overtook and sped off.
Apart from their antics being dangerous, I don't want them to park their car in the back of my car. I'm far too old to play these games and won't rise to the bait anyway, so they're wasting their time with me!

Do any other GTI (or other Polo) owners experience this behaviour from other drivers?
d7lan
New
Drives: Awaiting delivery of 6C GTI 5dr

Re: GTI Owners; Does your car encourage bad driving behaviour by other drivers?

Post by d7lan »

Only happened once that I can remember, very young lad in a brand new Merc A45 AMG, trying to goad me into >70 antics on the motorway. I was happy cruising so he got bored and thundered off (those things are bloody quick!)

Not bad behaviour as such but people seem to pull out in front of me or lane hog more often than with my last car (Mazda MX5). The GTI is a subtle car but mine being bright red probably doesn't help.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
fivelittlefish
New
Drives: 2016 GTI

Post by fivelittlefish »

Yes, definitely. Even my missus has noticed it.
JoeMarano
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo Gti 6C

Post by JoeMarano »

Only bog standard Polo's. It's almost not even worth the time. If they want to prove they are a better driver they can take it to a track and get beat. Funnily enough they never show up there lmao
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Post by joe6 »

Often difficult to differentiate between 'racers' and just very poor driving (lots of it about in the East Midlands). Get a few who 'boot it' after passing to show off so suppose that is the GTI badge coming in to play but not many.
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw)

Post by wolfie »

LOL.. Anything with 4 wheels on it seems to encourage bad driving in others on todays roads, they don't need to see a specific car type as an excuse to drive like a bell-end... Not so much racers, as general halfwits who think they own the road, typically ignorant, aggressive or a combination of both. Not always drivers at the young end of the spectrum either. Seriously considering a dashcam as it appears to becoming way more common.
joe6
Bronze Member

Post by joe6 »

wolfie wrote: Seriously considering a dashcam as it appears to becoming way more common.
Need one that records both front and back!
nats148
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 1.8 GTI - Golf Anniversary

Post by nats148 »

I'm not sure if it's the car or just an increase in t**tish drivers on the road. The other morning I was driving through a village on the way to work, 30/40 zone all the way through had a 3 series so close I couldn't see his headlights, then as soon as it was clear the other way he went steaming past me. Was tempted to send the dashcam footage to the local police :twisted:
fivelittlefish
New
Drives: 2016 GTI

Post by fivelittlefish »

nats148 wrote:I'm not sure if it's the car or just an increase in t**tish drivers on the road. The other morning I was driving through a village on the way to work, 30/40 zone all the way through had a 3 series so close I couldn't see his headlights, then as soon as it was clear the other way he went steaming past me. Was tempted to send the dashcam footage to the local police :twisted:

What unusual behaviour for a BMW :D
nats148
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 1.8 GTI - Golf Anniversary

Post by nats148 »

fivelittlefish wrote:
nats148 wrote:I'm not sure if it's the car or just an increase in t**tish drivers on the road. The other morning I was driving through a village on the way to work, 30/40 zone all the way through had a 3 series so close I couldn't see his headlights, then as soon as it was clear the other way he went steaming past me. Was tempted to send the dashcam footage to the local police :twisted:

haha funnily enough we saw one pull out in front of a van the other day then slam on his brakes, nearly causing a 4 car pile up - the van he did it to had been overtaking and BMW took offence to it :|
JoeMarano
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo Gti 6C

Post by JoeMarano »

lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Yes it does. Doesn't seem to be as bad with the Polo Gti we have, as we debadged it at the back. However, when I had my polo blue gt and it was in the garage for one of its many visits, they lent me a golf GTI. I'd always wanted to drive one, so my wife and I went out late one night. I was driving quick but not dangerously or stupidly fast and some guy in an old Leon FR pulled up next to me at the lights. Started revving his engine and when I didn't play (he set off like a bat out of hell) he then slowed down and pulled in behind me, flashing his lights etc. This continued for a good couple of miles until I eventually bit and left him before turning off. Not proud of biting, but he was proper doing my nut in.

Also had a few instances where people in old golfs and polos want to burn you off. Must be so they can claim they beat a GTI. I don't rise to it now. In fact, if I'm about to turn when this happens at the lights, I encourage them then just turn off as they can't see the left hand indicator. Laughed even harder the last time it happened as there was a copper two cars back of this lad and suddenly there were blue flashing lights when he went hurtling off :twisted:
joe6
Bronze Member

Post by joe6 »

lancslad1985 wrote:Also had a few instances where people in old golfs and polos want to burn you off. Must be so they can claim they beat a GTI. I don't rise to it now. In fact, if I'm about to turn when this happens at the lights, I encourage them then just turn off as they can't see the left hand indicator. Laughed even harder the last time it happened as there was a copper two cars back of this lad and suddenly there were blue flashing lights when he went hurtling off :twisted:
:lol: :lol:
skymera
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 R-Line TDi

Post by skymera »

Everyone is just a bad man in their modern cars. All believe they're in a racekor , even those in the just-add-fuel French turd boxes.

I'm not saying mums in people carriers are the worst, but they are the worst :roll: :roll:
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

fivelittlefish wrote:

See quite a few examples of similar behaviour from BMW and Audi drivers.