Power steering fluid leak

Discuss Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres
DC_BS
Bronze Member
Drives: MKV (6N2) 2001

Power steering fluid leak

Post by DC_BS »

I have just discovered a leak under the car this morning which looks like the power steering fluid (checked oil and it seems fine. Last night there was a squeaking sound esp when turning right and a whining noise, so I'm guessing its linked? Its not safe to drive without any power steering fluid? I have abandoned my plans today just so I don't take any risks. What could have caused the leak though?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Power steering fluid leak

Post by alexperkins »

If you have a serious leak, driving without it being fixed will destroy the steering rack

The hoses are rubber changing to a metal hose for the last few feet towards the pump. The ferrules that seal them together often rust and split allowing the pipes to seperate. You can probably fix it with a jubilee clip if that's the case as a quick fix
DC_BS
Bronze Member

Post by DC_BS »

I only noticed it late last night when coming back, and I was parking up and it was a really loud whining noise.

Could the hot weather be anything linked to it? I had to drive into Central London yesterday and it was seriously very hot and the engine was running for almost 3 hours. Maybe the rubber housing could have overheated?

What's the approx of getting this fixed properly? Not good timing esp with a service due!!
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

The whining is due to the pump having little or no fluid in it. It wouldn't overheat. More it's just split due to age and wear

The pipes are quite expensive new from the dealer so either get them made by a hydraulic hose supplier or get used ones. From time to time they also appear on eBay as new old stock
DC_BS
Bronze Member

Post by DC_BS »

I just don't understand how suddenly it would leak like that, it was fine when I left the house yesterday morning.

I won't go to a dealer, not getting ripped off! The other options seem a bit more wallet friendly.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

The hoses can just go 'pop'. Remember the steering system is under fairly high pressure
DC_BS
Bronze Member

Post by DC_BS »

I've never experienced this magnitude of wear even with a 1994 car a few years back!

Does a belt drive the power steering system? I can hear a rubbing sound under the bonnet, I'm hoping its not the aux again cos I've only just had that replaced.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Yeah it's driven by the aux belt
DC_BS
Bronze Member

Post by DC_BS »

Hmmm, the rubbing sound wasn't as high as when it originally started to break. Just can't be dealing with any more repairs cos I barely got any money as it is!
DC_BS
Bronze Member

Post by DC_BS »

Diagnosed the leak, the power steering pump has been damaged, presumably cos I pulled away too quick when parked high on a kerb and it made a thud noise which must have caught the pump.

Replacement isn't cheap either.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Used one should be doable. Same on 6Ns and lupos and a number of other VW engines
DC_BS
Bronze Member

Post by DC_BS »

Got one for £159 which is steep considering the size of it. Apparently they're not as commonly made for the SDI models.
The circular thing the pump belt goes round shows a knock on there so was definitely when I pulled away off the kerb and caught it. Its not too badly damaged though so the pump has been switched out. Fluid topped up and no leaks.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Excellent. Glad it’s sorted
DC_BS
Bronze Member

Post by DC_BS »

There's now a rattling noise coming from where the pump is, it stops when I turn the wheel full left or right, but carries on if the steering wheel is straight. It went away when I did a bit of motorway driving (over 60mph) but comes back in fits after.

Can't think what is causing it.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Could be bearing failure in the pump

Is there enough fluid in there? Worth checking as there can be air locks