Passenger seat Bolts

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
hutch
New
Drives: GTI 2017

Passenger seat Bolts

Post by hutch »

Hoping someone can help, Had to remove the passenger seat on my GTI yesterday due to spilt milk (still smelling and gutted at car only being :x 3000 miles) Whilst replacing seat I have shredded the bolt head which are the XZN Triple square M9. Has anyone any experience in how to et new bolts and the best way to remove the bolt as it's not fully in place, this leaving the seat shaking :roll:

Would Vw charge an absolute fortune for this? Properly stuck and gutted with myself :x
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Passenger seat Bolts

Post by iichel »

no the bolts should only be a pound or so a piece. part number N90892101
hutch
New

Post by hutch »

Cheers mate, any idea where the best place to order them is from?
Oli3000
Getting There!
Drives: 6C 1.0tsi 110 6spd man SEL

Post by Oli3000 »

Just ring parts at your dealer or local TPS.

The bolts should be replaced each time after being removed anyway. Buy a decent set of torx tools to properly tension them, too.
hutch
New

Post by hutch »

Thanks for your help, picking up four new bolts from Vw on Thursday £1.17 each can't complain. You're right parts manager mentioned they have adhesive on them, hoping I haven't destroyed the thread in the hole with forcing old ones back in.

Will find out Thursday when if I can force old one's back out!!

And I thought the only difficult bit would be the airbags :oops: Lesson learned atleast!
iichel

Post by iichel »

it all stands or fall with good tools. lesson 1 in repairing anything.
iichel

Post by iichel »

it all stands or fall with good tools. lesson 1 in repairing anything.
Eduard
Getting There!
Drives: 6C

Post by Eduard »

I think it's something with the polo itself :D

I have removed the driver seat as well, few days back ( for the first time ) so the bolts were never "forced" back in or used in any way. I've also used a set of professional tools, so the wrench fit in perfectly, and the bolts unscrewed pretty much with ease, no problem, as they were intact.

Then .. came the day after ... and I found myself trying to fix my seat back, for the third time, as none of the bolts seemed to fit back in as easily as they got out. So .. I've tried a few times, seeing the bolt heads were starting to get shredded.

Had a great idea to put on some grease .. after seeing that one more try would just shred the bolt entirely ... and, with a little bit of patience, they got in ! :P

So .. if it's not totally shredded, try it with some grease.. I really have no idea why they would shred for the first time I got them back in .. maybe they're made like this hehe.
hutch
New

Post by hutch »

Finally got a break in the weather this morning to get the seat fitted properly again, Had to cut bold head and use flathead screwdriver just to get it out, nightmare of a job but all four are out now atleast. My own fault they shredded I just tried to improvise having not had correct hex tools at time but had the right size when replacing today...

When I picked up Bolts from VW the storesman backed you up Oil3000, the bolts themselves come with adhesive on them and so should always be replaced after being removed, think this contributed to making bolts harder to go back in with adhesive possibly having filled bolt hole. Little bit of force and correct tool got new bolts in eventually though without doing any damage, safe to say it was a much bigger job than initially planned!
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Post by Willni »

hutch wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:43 pm Finally got a break in the weather this morning to get the seat fitted properly again, Had to cut bold head and use flathead screwdriver just to get it out, nightmare of a job but all four are out now atleast. My own fault they shredded I just tried to improvise having not had correct hex tools at time but had the right size when replacing today...

When I picked up Bolts from VW the storesman backed you up Oil3000, the bolts themselves come with adhesive on them and so should always be replaced after being removed, think this contributed to making bolts harder to go back in with adhesive possibly having filled bolt hole. Little bit of force and correct tool got new bolts in eventually though without doing any damage, safe to say it was a much bigger job than initially planned!
Glad you got sorted, but just to mention bolts with adhesive on them they can reused, it's just mainly so they don't come loose and you can re-add the adhesive (threadlocker red and blue), if it comes off. I've done it with steering wheel a few times for various retrofits and it doesn't feel any different at all no movement etc, bolts etc on the exterior take much more forces etc and done have any just torqued.

But as another member said it's all about the right tools think M's are like £10 for a box, and you'll have them for life same with most tools.