2013 polo 6r running lights

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Takaboby
New
Drives: 2013 1.4 polo match 6r

2013 polo 6r running lights

Post by Takaboby »

Hi all. Anyone know if CARISTA will allow control of said daytime running lights? I would rather not physically mess with the electrics. Thanks.
gaza1994
Bronze Member
Drives: Match 1.4 2012 (6r) (85ps)

Re: 2013 polo 6r running lights

Post by gaza1994 »

I know CARISTA can control some of these things, but not to sure as I've always used VagCom!
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

Been wondering this, myself. I find the daytime running lights (DRL's) a total non-necessity, in fact one that runs counter to the philosophy of conserving energy and resources, and reducing emissions. Okay, you can rightly argue that, under normal conditions, the power for those particular bulbs is coming almost wholly from the alternator, but IMHO all that the DRL's achieve is the extracting of a good deal of power from the crankshaft. (4 x 21 watts means that about 7 amps is drawn). I mean, why have VW converted power-assisted steering from all-hydraulic to electro but then imposed on us DRLs, cancelling out the benefit in energy-saving achieved with the new type of steering? And after all, if I myself find the need to have any lights on during the day when it's gloomy, I simply put the so-called sidelights on, or the dipped-beam lights. If VW merely wants to keep up with what's simply fashionable, rather than making a more determined attempt at reducing emissions, then that's their affair, but the very least that they could do for those of us that actually choose to drive their cars is to give us the option to turn that feature off (say, in the Infotainment display).

I don't know much about Carista. What about VCDS/VCDS+CAN - is that capable of switching off the DRL's? And what about the more-fully integrated diagnostics readers/coders from the likes of Autel and Foxwell - are any of those likely to be able to turn this feature off? Anyone know?

Incidentally, something you'd need to be careful about is whether disabling such a feature would lead to an MOT failure. One of the many things on which you could be caught out with, on an MOT test, is whether the MOT guidelines say that if an additional feature is added to the car and it's something that affects the roadworthiness of the car or affects other road-users, then it needs to work. The guidelines may then go on to say that if it doesn't work (for whatever reason), it'll be seen as an MOT failure. So, for me there's a big question-mark against disabling DRL's via the onboard ECU; if any disabling is to be done at all, then perhaps it needs to be executed via either a dashboard button (such as with Stop/Start) or via a Vehicle setting in the infotainment display? At least you could then easily turn it back on, for the purposes of the MOT. In my opinion, the same MOT consideration needs to given to ParkPilot, or at least the audio component of it, as I'm sure I'm not the only Polo driver who's fed up with being continually beeped at while garaging the car or parking it amongst other vehicles. The Polo Driver's Manual seems to say that you can turn off ParkPilot completely via the infotainment display, but on my 2017 6R that doesn't seem to be the case.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Let's say we run about 10.000 miles a year, and make that 250 hours since we drive 60mph on average. Let's say it's 50% DRL and 50% dipped beam.

125 hours * 60 seconds * 42w will add up to 315.000 joules. Let's say our little engine runs at 25% efficiency, so we'll need 1.25 megajoules.

Petrol has an energy density of 46.4 megajoules per cubic meter, or 46.4 kilojoules per litre. 1.25 megajoules will equal about 27 litres. 6 imperial gallons.

By the way, veteran, a 2017 polo is probably a type 6C, with the nice MQB electronics and infotainment system as well as the great EA888 engines!
gaza1994
Bronze Member
Drives: Match 1.4 2012 (6r) (85ps)

Post by gaza1994 »

iichel wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:07 pm Let's say we run about 10.000 miles a year, and make that 250 hours since we drive 60mph on average. Let's say it's 50% DRL and 50% dipped beam.

125 hours * 60 seconds * 42w will add up to 315.000 joules. Let's say our little engine runs at 25% efficiency, so we'll need 1.25 megajoules.

Petrol has an energy density of 46.4 megajoules per cubic meter, or 46.4 kilojoules per litre. 1.25 megajoules will equal about 27 litres. 6 imperial gallons.

By the way, veteran, a 2017 polo is probably a type 6C, with the nice MQB electronics and infotainment system as well as the great EA888 engines!
bruh, do you even math?

That hurt my brain :shock: :lol:
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

veteran wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:23 pm Incidentally, something you'd need to be careful about is whether disabling such a feature would lead to an MOT failure. One of the many things on which you could be caught out with, on an MOT test, is whether the MOT guidelines say that if an additional feature is added to the car and it's something that affects the roadworthiness of the car or affects other road-users, then it needs to work.
You also need to check out the potential insurance implications. Insurers (at least in the UK) require to be informed of any modifications to the insured vehicle and as a general rule, most insurers consider any change to the standard factory build of a car to be a modification. Therefore, switching off the DRL's is likely to be considered as a modification.

It would be interesting to know what the motor insurers view would be on vehicle owners deactivating DRL's, which were presumably introduced as a safety feature by the motor industry. Volvo, who are renowned for vehicle safety, fitted front and rear running lights in the 1970's on their 244/245 and 264/265 models to improve visibility of its vehicle to others long before DRL's became a mandatory fitment - and it's unlikely they would have done this if there was no safety benefit in doing so.

I suspect that in the event of an accident involving a car with a safety feature (it's DRL's) deactivated, and this was considered to be a contributory factor, the outcome of the claim and claim payment could be influenced - and not in a positive way for the policyholder.
Takaboby
New
Drives: 2013 1.4 polo match 6r

Post by Takaboby »

Wow, I totally get it concerning the insurance angle. I personally think headlights are overkill for drl’s But all things considered I’ll likely leave well alone in this case. Thanks for all your responses.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

veteran, I think that you might have missed the point that DRLs are not just something VW added to be stylish, like TPMS and probably ABS, DRLs will have been mandated by EU laws/rules for new cars.

Edited:- maybe bad wording or bad order of words there by me, I was meaning TPMS and probably ABS will have already been mandated by EU laws/rules along now with DLRs.