Kenwood Sat nav upgrade

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Re: Kenwood Sat nav upgrade

Post by Ricmondo »

I have serious doubts about the Gamin data base.

My house was built in the 1890s but cab companies, delivery drivers and Deliveroo etc who use Garmin systems insist it doesn't exist. I have to give mini cab drivers an address in an adjacent street in order for them to calculate a charge. I am thoroughly fed up watching my take away go cold as the deliverers hurtle back and forth turning left and right but ignoring me, like so many sat nav users they clearly do not know how to read street names.

My old Tom Tom, my current VW system and my tracker are all happy to recognise my existence, I think that I must have run over a baby Gamine in a previous life and been subject to a satnavic curse.

Just one of those techno glitches designed to cheese off old blokes like me!
Dave_C
New
Drives: 1.2TSi Match

Post by Dave_C »

So three of us haven't got traffic info! I wonder if it's down to the recommended routing of the antenna, which is inside the roof lining around the top of the passenger door opening. That seems rather close to a lot of metal to me.

I'd like to know if anyone has traffic working OK. If it's working for you, please let us know.
Dave_C
New

Post by Dave_C »

A quick follow up - we also run a Fabia, so I posted the same initial post on Briskoda. There were three replies and they all are receiving traffic info via the GVN60. One of them makes the point that saying a route has to be planned is rubbish - traffic is on all the time.

I'd still like to hear from any Polo driver who does get traffic info on the GVN60. The score is Polos 0 - Fabias 3 at the moment.
mario
New
Drives: 1.2 TSI Bluemotion

Post by mario »

TMC reception, Polo 6c: TMC is public and it is Commercial service. They both do coexist in different ways in different countries.
GVN 60 (GVN MIB1) TMC public service works for me in germany and italy, but not in slovenia.
i did not purchase any commercial TMC service.

there is lots of mess about standardization and different TMC flavors around europe....
Dave_C
New

Post by Dave_C »

A follow-up to the traffic report problem. The car has been into the dealers twice.

The first time they moved the FM aerial from above the passenger door to lay across the width of the car under the top of the dashboard. This improved matters a little - we got traffic reports when within a few miles of the transmitters, but it was short range.

Kenwood then supplied an aerial booster. After fitting this, we got the traffic reports as expected.
Philmar
New
Drives: Blue GT 6c

Post by Philmar »

That's the first bit of good news I have heard on the tmc for the 6c I had long given up on it.Do you have any further info on the booster ie.part or type number my dealer is a waste of time.
Dave_C
New

Post by Dave_C »

The dealer has asked Kenwood for the part number and is waiting for them to get back.
Dave_C
New

Post by Dave_C »

@Philmar: I contacted Kenwood this morning and requested the Part Number. This was the response:

Unfortunately this is not a part that can be purchased. We supply this part, on an ad-hoc basis, to VW dealerships (at their request) if they have an issue with poor TMC reception.

So it looks as though you need to ask your dealer to ask Kenwood for the part!
Philmar
New
Drives: Blue GT 6c

Post by Philmar »

Thanks Dave,
Have been in touch with Kenwood they are out of stock for app.6 wks.They will forward one to my local dealer when they arrive.
I found Kenwood very helpful and they are sure their splitter will do the job which bodes well having read your comments,Many thanks.
Scotty_boy vw
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 6C 1ltr TSI/2018 1ltr TSI AW

Post by Scotty_boy vw »

Sorry to ask guys as this is a very old thread but can anyone confirm that when in the nav screen and you put the car into reverse does the optical screen come on?

any help would be great as I'm considering buying this kit.

also can a reversing camera be added to this kit?

cheers

scott
normankr
New
Drives: 1.0 TSI 110ps SEL DSG7

Post by normankr »

Kenwood sat nav upgrade is rubbish - based upon Garmen it sems to only want to navigate from A-B via motorways or the most major route optionsavailable even if this results in using a much longer distance or time. selecting the option to avoid major roads leads to the straightest route option regardless of how minor the roads used are.
Additionally the traffic info system does not work and the dealers can offer no solution and Kenwood under duress will supply a supposed arial booster that is not compatible with the installation.
If I could find a TOMTOM built in option I would happily scrap the £500+ Kenwood unit.
For now I have had to buy an up to date map to check the Kenwood route before setting off and to use until Kenwood decides that it will reprogramme the route to comply with the optimum route for the journeyhttps://www.uk-polos.net/posting.php?mode=reply ... 6adcbbd073#