Odd place for oil....

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Paxmanmerv
New
Drives: Mk6

Odd place for oil....

Post by Paxmanmerv »

Evening all!
New boy in class so hope this is in the right section. Apologies in advance if it should be elsewhere.
Just had an MOT on the little beastie (2002 car) & it failed. No prob, these things happen. Brake pipe that crosses the fuel tank leaking. Got underneath & sure enough there is an oily substance on the rear of the fuel tank. Pretty conclusive!. However..... Got a bit on my finger & it didn't smell like brake fluid. Touched it to my tongue & didn't get the `orrid bitter taste you get when your on the receiving end of a brake fluid splash. Had a slightly sweet flavor, more like antifreeze... Dropped the tank an inch & had a peer with a mirror. Could see most of the brake pipe & its bone dry. Starting to scratch my head now... As you all know, there is a cross member that is at the rear of the tank. Spotted an oily looking grommet in it so popped it out. Something oily started to come out.. Anyone come across this before? new one on me fer sure!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Odd place for oil....

Post by alexperkins »

Could be the anti corrosion coating melted a bit. Thats an oily residue when it melts a bit.

Can you post some pics?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

So, if you ignore that as it could be as Alex said, where does this now leave you with the leaking rear brake pipe?

Is it is not one of the aluminium seals become porous on the line going into the rear calliper(s) - if you have rear discs?

Edit:- any heat shields dropped off since last MOT?
Paxmanmerv
New
Drives: Mk6

Post by Paxmanmerv »

Hi Alex!.
Was wondering about body protection jollop. Will see if i can get a pic or two up later.
Hi Rum4mo!.
Looks like all the shields are in place. Got drums on the back. Dropped the tank a bit & had a look, pipe looks as dry as a bone!
Still a bit of a puzzle....
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

So does that mean that you will take this car back into that MOT station for a better explanation as to why they think there is an issue?