Bonnet release handle (on door pillar)

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Bonnet release handle (on door pillar)

Post by bvs »

Alex ?
Well whilst I was opening the bonnet today - the plastic handle ''came off in my hand chief'' and fell to the floor LOL

The handle itself looks ok as does the stupid plastic clip that retains it.(Handle P No is 1J2 823533C)

It looks like the plastic hinge shaft has snapped off the mounting bracket/lever assembly (shaft = approx 8mm dia x 10mm long)
Do you know the part number of the bracket/lever assy please as obviously I will have to remove the trim and replace the whole shebang .

2002 (02) 9N 5 door RHD - black handle.

Cheers and rgds baz
bvs
Silver Member

Re: Bonnet release handle (on door pillar)

Post by bvs »

Maybe 1K2823633 ???
bvs
Silver Member

Post by bvs »

OK so I went out to the polo just before the snow started LOL
Its only a 5 min job to remove the offending bracket.
the bracket/lever is marked 1J2 823 633 so I was not far out with my guess in my previous post.
Not sure whether to order a new one or 'bodge' the old one yet :mrgreen:
What a stupid bit of detail design LOL.

A funny little anomaly with the online ETKA parts catalogue is that it varies a little from model to model,in the relevant Polo section it only gave a Part No for the handle but not for the bracket (although it does show the bracket in the illustration).Whereas in the Golf section it gives the Part No for both parts - which is where I took a guess in the previous post (because it showed identical Handle).
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Ill double check it for you. Give me an hour :)
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

You did better than me, I could not find that in ETKA at all when I tried to help you!

I'd think, if you can live without it for a few days, just get a new part ordered in, having a repaired part break soon would be very annoying?

I trouble with the bonnet release on my Audi S4 a few times but I could never replicate that issue, that was until I wised up to the fact that that handle in the B8 S4 is designed to open only when the door has been opened!! ie it fouls the leading edge of the door trim, now that is a good idea, I see it is the same on my wife's 2015 Polo - progress?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

1J2 823 533 C 9B9 is the full part number you'd need

£15.59 inc vat at present pricing from the dealer
bvs
Silver Member

Post by bvs »

Thanks for the confirmation Alex - and yeah I had already decided to get a new one LOL
On etka it is on the 'bonnet' page but the bracket was not individually itemised/ID'd on the Polo catalogue even though it was illustrated.Out of interest I looked at the Golf Catalogue and it ID'd the bracket (1K2823633 ) but I knew I could not use that number as the bracket shape is slightly different
I have ordered one from a Skoda dealer on ebay for 7.99 inc p+p - there were some for circa 5.00 but looked dodgier dealers.
I will keep the old bracket for spares as there is a fairly easy bodge I could do if it breaks again.

rgds baz
bvs
Silver Member

Post by bvs »

Well the new part turned up today so I fitted it this afternoon - what a stupid design LOL,I had to remove the trim panel 4 times until I worked out how to get the stupid locking clip in :mrgreen:
Not easy with frozen hands at +2 deg c and a north wind blowing LOL
The 'waisted' (and therefore weak ) part of the shaft is where the stupid locking clip slides into,and of course the clip is fitted from the fwd side of the handle so you cannot see it - and on our car there was no space to fit the clip either - if I had to do it again I would prob cut away part of the side trim 8)

RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Hummm, lovely weather for working outside on cars! Not that I have had to do that this winter - yet!

I seem to remember having fun with that part on my 2011 S4 when I was feeding front parking sensor cabling past that area, on that Audi it was refitting some of the plastic trim that caused me more annoyance, but that was in my garage in the early summer.
akz786
New

Post by akz786 »

Ditto! - this just happened to me today as I need to top up washer fluid, handle just came off and snapped off the spindle part. its a 2003 1.4 Tdi Polo so I assume it will be the same part number as above?

The problem is I cant seem to open the the bonnet now, even if I try to wedge a screwdriver inbetween whats left of the fulcrum from the bonnet release catch its really tough to move, like its stuck, maybe the bonnet catch is seized?

Anyone had this issue before? - also is the bonnet release lever an easy DIY?

Thanks
A
bvs
Silver Member

Post by bvs »

If you remove the trim around where the release handle is mounted you should be able to see the operating cable and operate/pull down on it to release the bonnet.
From memory you will need to pull the door seal clear of the sill trim and also clear of the side trim panel around the handle.The sill trim just pulls up and clear (sometimes needs careful use of a screwdriver) but just lift it enough to be able to get the side trim panel clear ,the side trim panel should also unclip I cannot remember exactly how - it may need to move forward or back slightly to unclip,the most damage you will do is to any plastic clips.Once the side trim panel is off you will have a clear view of the Handle bracket and operating cable.
The handle is retained to the bracket by a stupid plastic clip and it is a biatch to fit with new handle,if I did the job again I would cut away part of the side panel to make it easier to fit the stupid clip.
Good luck - it is not too difficult a job (when you have done it once :) ) - crazy design LOL

cheers bvs
bvs
Silver Member

Post by bvs »

I forgot to say on my post above that as a temporary winter expedient,if the handle falls off because of a broken locking shaft as in my pic above,the bonnet can be released by simply pushing the handle back onto the splines and holding it on manually as you turn the handle.The little locking shaft is purely to retain the handle and does not stop the bonnet release working.