VW RNS315 Retrofit from RCD310 - What is needed?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Stormtrooper1967
New
Drives: 1.2 TSI Match Edition 5 Door Pure White

VW RNS315 Retrofit from RCD310 - What is needed?

Post by Stormtrooper1967 »

Hi all
Did a quick search but couldn't see this specific unit being covered.

I have sourced a VW RNS 315 EU Sat Nav with code and GPS antenna. The Nav unit Part No. is 3C8 035 279 S.

Connectors on the back from left to right are

Black Fakra = DAB?
Black Rectangle connector = Reversing Sensor?
Blue Fakra = GPS
White Twin Fakra = AM/FM Radio
Black Quadlock = Plug and Play?

My question is there is currently an RCD310 Dab Unit in the car with the TPK music and bluetooth phone system. I haven't had the unit out yet as I don't yet have the original radio code for this unit (my local dealer is going to sort this for free) and I want to have all the bits I need to do the retrofit once without having to remove the unit numerous times.

The seller of the Nav unit said it didn't have DAB but, is the black connector on the top left not DAB? I'm hoping as the RCD310 has DAB that the cable will be there and will plug straight into the new unit? I have read that sometimes DAB needs to be activated via VCDS - is that correct?

I am also hoping that as the car has reversing sensors that the Black rectangular slot under the Black Fakra is for the reversing sensor cable and that will be just plug and play?

Finally, I want to add the phone for the microphone in the front light unit which I believe has a slot to insert the microphone. My question is what do I need and does anyone have part no's or link me to the correct part on ebay? I'm guessing that the mic will plug into the quadlock part and there will be an existing connector that the TPK uses? I plan to remove the TPK unit as the RNS315 has bluetooth built in (MAC sticker on unit) so long as I can get the microphone to work.

If its been covered already I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Re: VW RNS315 Retrofit from RCD310 - What is needed?

Post by Willni »

Straight fit, just add a navigation aerial. If it's not a DAB unit it won't have dab and the reversing sensor is in the quadlock
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

The reverse camera is a separate connection which is what you might’ve seen
Stormtrooper1967
New

Noted thanks.

Where does the microphone plug into? Below the quad connector?

Thanks
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

It goes into the quad on the black rectangular plug I think
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Post by Willni »

Microphone is left hand side i think there's only two open slots anyway
Stormtrooper1967
New

Thought I would update following install of the RNS315 today after waiting ages for a microphone and wiring harness.

I sort of knew there was going to be an issue as the car has the TPK system installed.

The following is working

DAB Radio - the seller advised that it didn't have DAB but I asked him to photo the reverse of the unit and the black DAB aerial connector was present. Our Polo had a RCD310 which had DAB so the cable was already on the car.

Sat Nav - routed the antenna across the top of the glove box and fitted to metal frame of dash. Seems to be working but how do I check the strength or number of satellites? In addition it seems a bit out of date being V6 - how/where can I get updates?

CD - Seller left a CD in lol

Aux - The aux in on the unit is working although it seems quieter than the CD/Radio

Bluetooth - I can connect my phone and get address book etc. I can dial out.

SD Card Slot - havent tested yet.

MDI - is this the unit/cable in the glove box?

The following isn't working

Bluetooth Mic - Although I can dial out no-one can hear me using the existing TPK mic system. I haven't connected the mic and harness I bought as the green connector slot is already occupied and just about every pin has a wire coming from it! I'm guessing this is the TPK system and the AUX In under the heater controls.

TPK - I can't pair a phone via this now. Although I can pair on the RNS315

I tried unplugging the green connector from the rear of the quadlock and inserted my new connector. The microphone works. However, I'm not sure if this connector is also responsible for turning the unit on automatically from the ignition as when it was disconnected I had to manually turn on the unit.

As we probably wont have this car too long we can live without the phone functionality (we bought the unit for the Sat Nav capability). However, is it just a simple case of connecting the two wires from the mic into the existing connection? Any thoughts or ideas would be welcomed.