Can I get Mirrorlink activated?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
SandrasPolo
New
Drives: 1.2 TSI SE 3 door

Can I get Mirrorlink activated?

Post by SandrasPolo »

Good evening

I've just bought a 15 plate Polo 1.2 TSI SE which had factory fitted parking sensors front and rear, cruise control and composite media system. The car has mirrorlink in the menu but it needs activating at the dealer it says. I know android auto is better but is anyone on here in the know about whether I can activate mirrorlink? My phone does work with mirrorlink and I would be willing to buy the Sygic satnav programme that works with mirrorlink. The radio has a mute button bottom left.

Thank you for your help.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Can I get Mirrorlink activated?

Post by iichel »

I think it's a swap function. Software as a product. You'll need to buy a key / code at the dealer to make it work.
SandrasPolo
New

Post by SandrasPolo »

Hi thanks for your reply.

The Milton Keynes dealer today said it couldn't be activated unless the car was MY2016. Is that right?

Thanks
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

I don't know. The polo 6c is slightly out of my comfort zone.
SandrasPolo
New

Post by SandrasPolo »

As the unit has mirrorlink in the menu and when you click on it you are told the dealer can activate, I am hopeful something can be done.

I was hoping someone on this forum would have already done it.

Thanks for coming back to me.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Have a read of this discussion thread. May help to confirm whether or not Car Net App Connect can be activated for your infotainment unit;

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=67691&hilit=App+connect
SandrasPolo
New

Post by SandrasPolo »

Thanks for the article, my head unit has the mute button bottom left so I know it cannot have Carnet installed. I am hoping to get mirror link activated that is all. Someone on eBay has said this morning that they can do it for £230 at their premises. They do a lot of VW technical work by the looks of it. Thanks, Andrew
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

I wouldn't bother tbh

It is rubbish at best. I've got it on my car. I don't have the app you mentioned by I didn't see the point in paying for it.

App connect I'd say go for it.
SandrasPolo
New

Post by SandrasPolo »

Is it possible for me to get App Connect? I didn't think I could do that with the radio I have?

Thanks
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

SandrasPolo wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:07 pm Is it possible for me to get App Connect? I didn't think I could do that with the radio I have?

Thanks
The MIB2 infotainment unit in your car must be App Connect compatible for this function to work, but not all MIB2 infotainment units are compatible, so you’ll need to check this out first. From memory, VW incorporated the App Connect compatible infotainment units into cars from May 2015, which was the start of production of model year 2016 spec vehicles. Judging by discussions on different forums, it seems that not all infotainment units fitted in model year 2016 vehicles were App Connect compatible, so the compatible units seem to have been phased in over a fairly lengthy vehicle production period.

Do you have an ‘App Connect’ icon in one of the settings menus which if you click on it, you get the following message?

‘App Connect. You can activate this function by means of an activation key. Please contact your dealer.’

Also, if you haven’t already done so, it’s worth reading the App Connect discussion thread at the link I posted earlier in this thread.

If you do have an App Connect compatible infotainment unit, then to activate it, you’ll need you’d need to order an activation key from your dealer. A couple of years ago, the cost for retro-activation was somewhere in the region of £200-£230, but it may have increased since then.