New tyres 6C GTI

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
SteveBall
New

New tyres 6C GTI

Post by SteveBall »

The horrible Bridgestone tyres are about shot! The experience has been terrible, they are noisy, wet grip is shocking and they are expensive.

Has anyone else changed their tyres and to what if so?
Bigtam
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2016

Re: New tyres 6C GTI

Post by Bigtam »

I put these on the fronts: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 215/40 R17 Y (87), Reinforced, Asymmetrica
Sb0811
New
Drives: 6C

Post by Sb0811 »

I’m thinking the Mich P4’s as I have Conti’s on. Think the wire is showing on mine. The Dunlop’s look good and heard that it performs well.
SteveBall
New

Post by SteveBall »

I used to have ps3’s on a Megane R26 and they were great.

How do the F1’s feel? I ran some Hankook evo’s on a Mini Cooper S and they seemed ok - anyone running anything else?
Sb0811
New

Post by Sb0811 »

Also came across a good deal on the Michelin Pilot Sport cup 2 but the profile is 45 instead of 40. Anyone think it’s a good idea?...
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

The Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres are promoted by Michelin as being designed for track use and approved for road use, so they’re likely to be very ‘grippy’ when warmed up. They were fitted on the limited production Golf Clubsport S model (the two seater version with the rear seats removed) - presumably because many owners of that car would use it on track days.

The trade-off for having very soft, grippy tyres is that they wear quickly, so you aren’t likely to get many miles out of them. I believe the tread depth is also less on the Cup 2 tyres when they are new compared to other performance tyres. So, with less tread and possibly poorer wear rates, they may not be such a good deal, unless you track your car and you specifically want tyres that are designed primarily for track use.

Assuming only the profile of the tyres is different to the originals fitted to the 6c GTI, a 45 profile tyre, as opposed to a 40 profile will result in a speedo reading error of 3.0% - 3.5%, so;
  • speedo reading 30 mph, true speed will be approx 31 mph
  • speedo reading 50 mph, true speed will be approx 52 mph
  • speedo reading 60 mph, true speed will be approx 62 mph
PoloBlueGT
Bronze Member
Drives: Landrover Freelander

Post by PoloBlueGT »

If your looking for some better tires as SRGTD has mentioned the Pilot Sport Cup 2 may be better for the track and not the best for ‘real world’ driving. Have you thought of looking at Pilot Sport 4 as they are on the same profile ie 45 but have a better wet grip and fuel rating on most sites I think they are also cheaper on most sotes too. A tyre fitter I know has them on his M135i and rates them very highly.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

PoloBlueGT wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:35 pm If your looking for some better tires as SRGTD has mentioned the Pilot Sport Cup 2 may be better for the track and not the best for ‘real world’ driving. Have you thought of looking at Pilot Sport 4 as they are on the same profile ie 45 but have a better wet grip and fuel rating on most sites I think they are also cheaper on most sotes too. A tyre fitter I know has them on his M135i and rates them very highly.
I’m assuming Sb0811 was only thinking of changing to a 45 profile tyre because that’s what the Cup 2 tyres were that they could get at a good price.

The Michelin PS4 (along with the PS4S) also gets good reviews on the some of the Golf forums, and they are available in OEM size for the 6c Polo GTI (215/40 R17 87Y). When I need new tyres, I’ll probably go for these. The PS4S version are only available in 19” in the UK though.

I had Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2’s on my Golf GTD and they were good; IMO they had good levels of grip, they were quieter than some other premium performance tyres and didn’t wear too quickly either. They’ve been replaced by the Asymmetric 3 version, which generally get very good reviews. I’ve currently got Continental Sport Contact 3’s on my Polo GTI. They’re OK; quieter than the original Bridgestones, quite hard wearing and reasonably grippy, but I think I preferred the Goodyears to the Contis.
Sb0811
New

Post by Sb0811 »

I went for the PS4’s in the end on the 40 profile. Prob the best purchase you can buy for the car. It’s a must for all owners. I also heard the new GTI will have them on but I also seen a few reviews on YouTube of the new Gti on track and mentioned the PS4’s. So much better than the Conti’s. Just expensive though but worth the extra few quid.

Loved to fit the cup 2’s but the car won’t be on the track much.

Looking to go to the ring sometime this year if anyone is up for a drive over.
Circle6C9
New
Drives: Pure White 6C GTi

Post by Circle6C9 »

I don't actually mind the Bridgestones - far better than Dunlops that have come on previous VAGs of mine - but when they eventually need replaced I'll go for something different - probably Contis.
cheba
Silver Member
Drives: Polo R WRC 2014

Post by cheba »

SRGTD wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:17 pm The Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres are promoted by Michelin as being designed for track use and approved for road use, so they’re likely to be very ‘grippy’ when warmed up. They were fitted on the limited production Golf Clubsport S model (the two seater version with the rear seats removed) - presumably because many owners of that car would use it on track days.

The trade-off for having very soft, grippy tyres is that they wear quickly, so you aren’t likely to get many miles out of them. I believe the tread depth is also less on the Cup 2 tyres when they are new compared to other performance tyres. So, with less tread and possibly poorer wear rates, they may not be such a good deal, unless you track your car and you specifically want tyres that are designed primarily for track use.
The were standard fitment on the Golf GTI Clubsport S, but they were also an option on the non-S GTI Clubsport, and they still are an option on the Golf R, at least in Sweden. Before the facelift, if you wanted to order a Golf R with the Pretoria wheels you had to take the PSC2 tires - an expensive option. It seems nowadays you can get the Pretorias with or without PSC2.

As I've come to understand, the PSC2 are something between normal UHP street tires and road-legal semi-slicks for track use. I know an owner of a non-S Golf GTI Clubsport who opted for Pretorias with the PSC2. After a couple of trackdays, he had to change tires after owning the car for just over half a year.
Circle6C9 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:40 pm I don't actually mind the Bridgestones - far better than Dunlops that have come on previous VAGs of mine - but when they eventually need replaced I'll go for something different - probably Contis.
After 3 summers (+ a little milage from the first owner) on the factory fitted Dunlop SP SportMaxx:s, I'm doing my first tire switch on the WRC for this summer. Continental ContiSportContact 5:s have been ordered and will be put under the car in a little over a month. Too bad they don't make CSC6:s in smaller than 19". For me the choice was between the Contis and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric (not many good alternatives for 215/35-18).