GTI newb question

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Knox123
New
Drives: Mazda 2

GTI newb question

Post by Knox123 »

Looking to upgrade my Mazda GT Sport 1.5 to something faster and better built. My other half has a Polo but its about 8 years old and only a 1.4 petrol. I drove it this morning for a couple of hours in very heavy traffic along the A2 and I ended up with a painful left leg at the end of it! boy oh boy was the clutch so much heavier than my car. Going up a hill got the smell of burning clutch too - didn't find it comfortable at all. My partner on the hand absolutely loves it and has no issues with the clutch.

Having driven a fair amount of cars in 20 years of driving first time i'd driven one which such a senstive clutch.
Is this normal? :oops:
was thinking of buying a used Polo GTI or perhaps trying a new one but not if this sort of thing is the norm for VW ?? is it likely to be no good for town driving and stop start, lurcher forward sorta traffic? :(
Norbreck21a
Silver Member

Re: GTI newb question

Post by Norbreck21a »

Well.....as you have posted your question in the "new" MK8 VW Polo section, then it won't be a concern as the chances of finding a new one let alone a second-hand one are nigh on impossible at the moment :lol:

In all seriousness, whist the wife and I now drive DSG models, we did for a time have manuals, and her old MK6 (9N3) was a 1.4 manual, and the clutch on that was great. Very light with a perfect amount of bite. I can only assume the clutch on your other half's car needs looking at ?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Knox123 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:11 pm was thinking of buying a used Polo GTI or perhaps trying a new one but not if this sort of thing is the norm for VW ?? is it likely to be no good for town driving and stop start, lurcher forward sorta traffic? :(
If you do decide to go for a new Polo GTI, bear in mind that currently they’re only available to order with the DSG gearbox, and I’m pretty sure that none have been delivered to the UK yet, so dealers won’t have any demos for you to try. The manual version won’t be available for order until later in the year.

I have a 2016 Polo GTI (the outgoing version) with a manual gearbox, the clutch is light and I don’t find it to be over-sensitive.
Last edited by SRGTD on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knox123
New
Drives: Mazda 2

Post by Knox123 »

Norbreck21a wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:17 pm Well.....as you have posted your question in the "new" MK8 VW Polo section, then it won't be a concern as the chances of finding a new one let alone a second-hand one are nigh on impossible at the moment :lol:

In all seriousness, whist the wife and I now drive DSG models, we did for a time have manuals, and her old MK6 (9N3) was a 1.4 manual, and the clutch on that was great. Very light with a perfect amount of bite. I can only assume the clutch on your other half's car needs looking at ?
The clutch on my partner's car is fine according to the last visit to VW in December.
Hope VW have now sorted out the DSG issues after that woman died in Australia
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Knox123 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:42 pm
Norbreck21a wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:17 pm Well.....as you have posted your question in the "new" MK8 VW Polo section, then it won't be a concern as the chances of finding a new one let alone a second-hand one are nigh on impossible at the moment :lol:

The clutch on my partner's car is fine according to the last visit to VW in December.
Hope VW have now sorted out the DSG issues after that woman died in Australia
Assume you’re referring to the Melissa Ryan case in 2011? If so, the car in question was a Golf GTI with a manual gearbox.