1 Fob Key, one normal Key

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
TWR
New
Drives: Maintaning Granddaughtes 2012 Hatchback

1 Fob Key, one normal Key

Post by TWR »

Hi all, Just regestered I live in the Lancs area of the Uk, the post's and hopfully answers I get is in relation to my Granddaughter car, It's a Petrol 2012 Hatchback Polo, she bought the car last week with as mentioned above 2 keys, the 1st one button Key only the light appears but the Central Locking does not appear to work, as of yet I have not investegated the problem but I've heard of Vacum Pipes off at the rear, 1st Question, where is the Vacum Pump, could this be the cause? I'm awaiting a new Battery, could that be the cause? or would it be the case the the key want's Re/ Programing? If this is the case how is this SEQUENCE carried out & in what order? does this type of modle have any notable reoccuring Issues? is there anything I could look out for regards the condition, I've given the car a Full Service & found that the removal of the Plugs an issue, getting the coil pack out, I use a Piece of wood and a screwdriver with causion ( I have a Tool on order) other than that everything was straight forward, do these cars have issues wth rusted up Disks? the car had been standing for a few weeks but looking at these disks you woukld think that was years, so thank for looking, looking forward to hearing from you, If I can help ask me, Cheers TWR
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: 1 Fob Key, one normal Key

Post by iichel »

The locks in the Polo 6R are all electronic. Battery could surely be a problem.
It's not usual for a car to lose its 'marriage' to a key.

Rusty brake discs after a few weeks of standing still is not uncommon.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I think that what that car has is one remote fob and one normal key with a light built in, to help you find the lock maybe.

No vac pumps on these cars, that was an old Audi trick from way back, all these cars have electric locking/unlocking.

Edit:- you are lucky that the normal key has a light built in, SEATs didn't - just a plain second key!

Has that car got rear discs brakes, or is it just the front discs that you are commenting on, as said already (while I was composing my reply!), original factory fitted discs like to rust up quickly if the car was been left outside in a car lot.
TWR
New

Post by TWR »

Thank you both for your quick response, Front Disks only, there is plenty on the pads but very unsightly I may change them, regards the Vac Pump, thank you for that info, as said she has only got the car last week & after a service & as they do she wanted the car back, I said after I'd valeted the the car you can wait, the car was completely checked, Electrics & all that but it was the C.L. that had me thinking I had a quick look through some sites & they came up with this Vac Pump, or Reprogramming, I will have a look on Sat Weather permitting. Cheers TWR
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I'm not sure about Polo, but quite a few VW Group cars that have one fob and one plain key, when you use the plain key, if the car has an alarm fitted, after opening the driver's door, you only have a few seconds to get the plain key into the ignition lock before the alarm sounds! Obviously if that car does not have an alarm system fitted at factory, that will not happen.
TWR
New

Post by TWR »

Thank you Rum, no doubt other member when the arrive on site will know the issue regards the CL, Regards TWR
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I'm guessing that the key with the remote central locking functionality does operate the CL okay? That will be the only key to have remote CL ability, the basic key unlocks all the doors by using the driver's door lock mechanism, so not remote CL, just CL when using that key.

Edit:- actually someone even posted a picture of an opened up basic key with LED light incorp'd and asked how to sort it as the button did not unlock the CL!! The picture was of what I think you are talking about, ie a basic key with a maybe sort of handy light included in it - but only a light, nothing whatsoever that could resemble a remote fob.
TWR
New

Post by TWR »

Sorry for late reply Rum, do you have a link for that Image? if not I will Google the Key and take it from there. Cheers TWR
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Sorry, no, though maybe on this forum in recent days, it basically showed a basic key with a LED light built in, with the press button or top of one side removed, exposing a battery and an LED, the push button part has a spring to keep the contact (light) off until you press it down.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

https://imgur.com/a/NsAYT

That is the picture of an opened basic version of key, okay from an earlier Polo, but still the same design roughly?
TWR
New

Post by TWR »

Hi Rum, after a lot of searching and just seeing your reply, you are right in your answer that the key centre "only lights" up the key in search of the key opening on the door, thank you for your input & very much appreciated. Regards TWR.