Changing Oil Filter (POLO SE/6R 2010) (where is it?!)

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
TomRoberts
New

Changing Oil Filter (POLO SE/6R 2010) (where is it?!)

Post by TomRoberts »

Hi Guys

I was going to get a service but have realised it's just an oil and filter change with a load of checks for stuff i can do myself.

I can change the oil no problem but i can't seem to see the oil filter anywhere in the engine bay.

I have a VW Polo 6R (POLO SE 2010)

Can anybody link me to a guide or else simply advise exactly where the oil filter can be found on my car?

i've got a bosch one to replace the current one.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Changing Oil Filter (POLO SE/6R 2010) (where is it?!)

Post by iichel »

what kind of engine do you have? preferably a picutre of your engine bay, so we can use MS Paint to fill in the gaps
TomRoberts
New

Post by TomRoberts »

Hello!

Thank you for replying.

It’s a petrol 1.4 polo se engine
Here are some pics
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tNr_m ... vV1Bxw3IJF

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SpPHs ... FmFgUUcacL
TomRoberts
New

Post by TomRoberts »

Is it the bit next to the water tank? Like underneath the triangle thing?
TomRoberts
New

Post by TomRoberts »

iichel wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:57 pm what kind of engine do you have? preferably a picutre of your engine bay, so we can use MS Paint to fill in the gaps
Posted some pics if you are able to offer any knowledge is be ever so grateful
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

best i can find
Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 22.33.23.png
TomRoberts
New

Post by TomRoberts »

Thanks but I don’t even know where to look for that. I’m guessing it’s not in the normal engine Bay Area? Any more help from anyone else (no offence to the guy who posted the diagram) would be appreciated
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

On that engine maybe quite difficult to find, it is down the front of the engine block, just above the level of the sump and just to the right of the back of the alternator.

It has a hex end on it to make removal easier.

Not the easiest of filters to remove and fit without spilling oil and getting cuts on your hands/arms!

Edit:- that "item" under the triangle part is the engine mounting, you don't want to go and take that off!

Tip:- as it seems like you don't know very much about engines, without being nasty, maybe buy a Haynes Workshop Manual for that car and start learning how to carry out some of these tasks.

Another Edit:- the section from the official workshop manual that iichel posted does show that the filter is located behind the AC compressor not the alternator as I said above, though it does need to get lifted up past the rear of the alternator to get it out of the car. That picture clearly shows where it is located wrt the exhaust down pipe as well.
TomRoberts
New

Post by TomRoberts »

Hey dude!

I used to have a Morris mi it so am alright with basic petrol engines it's just I wasn't sure where the damn thing was!

Also.. I can't seem to find a Haynes manual for my car :(

Next time I'm buying a standard !
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

TomRoberts wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:53 am Hey dude!

I used to have a Morris mi it so am alright with basic petrol engines it's just I wasn't sure where the damn thing was!

You can’t get much more standard than a Polo.

I assume you don’t mean an old Standard Triumph!
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Well if it sounded like I was knocking your mechanical knowledge, but I only had the wording of your postings to go on, and they did not inspire me with much on that front.

Thinking an engine mounting was an oil filter is a very serious mistake to make, not many DIYers coming across to running a Polo would have made that one!

If you are being honest about your previous car mechanicing, then it sounds like you should be swopping all your old BS/AF sockets and spanners for metric stuff before making any moves under the bonnet of that car.

I ordered my Haynes manual from Haynes as it seems like places like Halfords have not got into that age of car's Haynes books yet, plus if buying directly from Haynes, you should pay less than elsewhere, well that was the case when I bought mine years ago.

Edit:- looks like Haynes buying direct has had a bit of a price hike, so give that a miss!
TomRoberts
New

Post by TomRoberts »

Ricmondo wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:27 pm
TomRoberts wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:53 am Hey dude!

You can’t get much more standard than a Polo.

I assume you don’t mean an old Standard Triumph!
I mean a standard Polo

I thought (Wrongly i presume) that my polo is slightly different because it's an SE

Am i wrong? is a standard Polo manual definitely going to refer to my car?

if not then... Thats why i'm finding it difficult to find a manual

I dont wish to buy anything if i'm not 100% sure it's going to fit.

Also I changed the head gasket on my morris, I'm pretty sure I am capable of changing an oil filter.

I just wanted some help locating it.

Ah well.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

SE indicates the trim level in the Polo range of models. There’s also S, SEL, Moda, Match, Blue GT and GTI (apologies to owners of a gang other model of 6r Polo if I’ve forgotten any). The SE sits just above the entry level S model.

There won’t be a Haynes manual just for your SE trim level, it’s applicable to the whole 6r Polo model range, including the SE, with either petrol or diesel engines with manual or DSG transmission that were built from 2009-2014.

You shouldn't have any problems finding a Haynes manual for the 6r Polo range. I posted links to four websites earlier on this discussion thread.
TomRoberts
New

Post by TomRoberts »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:46 pm SE indicates the trim level in the Polo range of models. There’s also S, SEL, Moda, Match, Blue GT and GTI (apologies to owners of a gang other model of 6r Polo if I’ve forgotten any). The SE sits just above the entry level S model.

There won’t be a Haynes manual just for your SE trim level, it’s applicable to the whole 6r Polo model range, including the SE, with either petrol or diesel engines with manual or DSG transmission that were built from 2009-2014.

You shouldn't have any problems finding a Haynes manual for the 6r Polo range. I posted links to four websites earlier on this discussion thread.
i see your links, thank you so much genuinely - might just get the PDF of one of those