New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by mike sel »

Dan34 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:29 am So it seems like mine is build week 22 now according to live chat although the online tracker says week 23. Wonder what changes the new build year will bring.
Ok not a GTI but my SEL just went through the factory. I was told wk 14 build by the dealer (w/c 2nd April) the on line tracker said wk 15 (w/c 9 April). I have just gone to car built and left factory today. I was told build started on Tuesday 3rd April and took 10 working days. mine goes on a ship during the next 24 hrs in port Elizabeth and will take about 4 weeks to get to Emden Germany where it is off loaded quality checked then reloaded and delivered to the UK then on to dealer. I'm told 8 weeks from south Africa to dealer, in total.

so I expect to get the car late June. I ordered it Jan 29th. :D
alandbess
Bronze Member
Drives: Scirocco

Post by alandbess »

I ordered my GTI+ in the middle of March. I've ordered white with a black roof and winter pack. I still haven't got a build week confirmed as yet

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Scottydoo45
New
Drives: Polo gti

Post by Scottydoo45 »

alandbess wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:02 pm I ordered my GTI+ in the middle of March. I've ordered white with a black roof and winter pack. I still haven't got a build week confirmed as yet

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Prepare to wait a long time, order first week anticipating demand later, it's proved to not have helped...
clidds
New
Drives: GTI+

Post by clidds »

I’ve given up and cancelled my Polo GTI order. Swapped to a Golf GTI, only added £40 per month to the PCP payments and expected to be built and with me in under 8 weeks. Time will tell...
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

clidds wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:18 pm I’ve given up and cancelled my Polo GTI order. Swapped to a Golf GTI, only added £40 per month to the PCP payments and expected to be built and with me in under 8 weeks. Time will tell...
S'what I said and something defo worth considering, a review in The Times newspaper basically says "at the new Polo price point (s'pecially with a few extras added) why not just buy a Golf SE or SE NAV ?". Polos apparently in short supply, I have yet to see one on the road....
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

stevereeves wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:28 am
clidds wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:18 pm I’ve given up and cancelled my Polo GTI order. Swapped to a Golf GTI, only added £40 per month to the PCP payments and expected to be built and with me in under 8 weeks. Time will tell...
S'what I said and something defo worth considering, a review in The Times newspaper basically says "at the new Polo price point (s'pecially with a few extras added) why not just buy a Golf SE or SE NAV ?". Polos apparently in short supply, I have yet to see one on the road....
I have ordered a POLO SEL 115 DSG. MY rational of buying one in stead of the golf SE (apart from the saving of about 2k on the golf or Q2). I live in a city and I do drive about 14k a year. I like small cars but needed a car with room in the back for 2 adults (I'm on my own in the car 80% or the time with my partner 15% then about 5% have rear seat passenger/s). Its our only car my partner does not drive. We are not short of funds so wanted a reasonable quality brand that I could spec up.
The rub is my parking space on by drive is only 4100mm long and I don't want the car to hang over onto the pavement. So all BMWs & Mercs are out even the X1 is 4350 long. The Audi Q2 was a close call but is 4200 the golf is 4250. The new polo is 4050 its almost as wide as the golf and inside dims are almost identical to the current golf. So for me it is the POLO due to its length.
Yes I could have gone for the JAZ but I hate the CVT gearbox. I could have gone for a less premium brand (Citroen or Peugeot) but I test drove those and they are ..shall we say not quite up to a VW build quality.
The old Polo was too small but for me and my particular situation this NEW Polo seems like a perfect fit. For my £21k I am getting a semi premium brand, good levels of spec, one of the best gear boxes there is, a reasonable responsive car that is easy to drive and FITS ON MY DRIVE with just about enough room inside for 4 comfortable adults.
The Audi Q2 was coming in at 24k and in point of fact has lest width and headroom than the new polo...yes check that out a Q2 has less room in the back. The golf at 23k and although nicer general level of comfort, more importantly neither would fit on my drive.
So the POLO is a city car that can be driven on 4 hour runs if you need to , can sit at 70 on the motorway all day if you need it to and will nip about town with ease. In short it the most up market car I could buy that would fit on my drive.
To be honest about it if the NEW polo was not there (the old one was too small) I would have gone for the Q2 and had to join the daily fight for a street parking space. NOT FUN.
I think motoring journalists need to understand that not everyone lives in a place where vehicle size is not a consideration. Otherwise we would all drive around in 6m long Bentleys.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Being a ‘frequent visitor’ to many VAG forums, it seems that anyone who wants to be an early adopter of a new VW model needs to be prepared for a lengthy wait.

This happened when the mk7 Golf was launched - waiting times of 8 months (or longer) were the norm for the GTI. I worked with a guy who ordered a Scirocco just after it was launched and he had a wait of a year.

VW just don’t seem to be able to get their act together to satisfy customer demand when they launch a new model. IMO, a few months wait isn’t unreasonable with a new model, but up to a year? Come on VW, get your act together!

VW seem to be really poor at forecasting expected sales volumes for a new model and gearing up production capacity to meet customer demand, when they’ll have many years worth of data and experience from previous new model launches to use in their projections. So you’d expect the world’s largest car manufacturer to be pretty good at coming up with an accurate projection of the required production capacity. Unfortunately, it seems not, so it’s little wonder that customers get fed up waiting. Historically, the situation does seem to improve further into a model’s life cycle, and waiting times do reduce.

Having read of others’ waiting experiences, I personally wouldn’t be an early adopter, even though it’s nice to be one of the first owners with an all new model. Aside from a long wait, there may be niggles and teething issues with a new model, and I’d rather wait for these to be sorted before ordering, as I don’t want to be an unpaid product tester for VW!
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

stevereeves wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:28 am
Was that the a porter review? It was in my view misguided. Yes you can pay £3,000 more to get a Golf with similar performance, but why would you spend more, to get a bigger car that is harder to park, and a bit less fuel efficient, if you didn’t need more room inside? You can say the same about the Up. A Polo is only a bit more, so why buy a Polo? And so,on. So in my view the review came to a daft conclusion, but that’s the danger of being a car journalist, rather than someone making real life purchasing decisions.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

SRGTD wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:01 am
Being a ‘frequent visitor’ to many VAG forums, it seems that anyone who wants to be an early adopter of a new VW model needs to be prepared for a lengthy wait.

This happened when the mk7 Golf was launched - waiting times of 8 months (or longer) were the norm for the GTI. I worked with a guy who ordered a Scirocco just after it was launched and he had a wait of a year.

VW just don’t seem to be able to get their act together to satisfy customer demand when they launch a new model. IMO, a few months wait isn’t unreasonable with a new model, but up to a year? Come on VW, get your act together!

VW seem to be really poor at forecasting expected sales volumes for a new model and gearing up production capacity to meet customer demand, when they’ll have many years worth of data and experience from previous new model launches to use in their projections. So you’d expect the world’s largest car manufacturer to be pretty good at coming up with an accurate projection of the required production capacity. Unfortunately, it seems not, so it’s little wonder that customers get fed up waiting. Historically, the situation does seem to improve further into a model’s life cycle, and waiting times do reduce.

Having read of others’ waiting experiences, I personally wouldn’t be an early adopter, even though it’s nice to be one of the first owners with an all new model. Aside from a long wait, there may be niggles and teething issues with a new model, and I’d rather wait for these to be sorted before ordering, as I don’t want to be an unpaid product tester for VW!
I bought one of the first Ups in the UK, an RO12 reg, which I sold yesterday. It was faultless. They were in very short supply with a long waiting list, but there were plenty of off the shelf cars available, which is what I bought. Except they wouldn’t let me have it for a month so I had a Polo on loan, until they got a replacement for the showroom.

When I bought my Polo, a month ago, there were plenty available off the shelf, albeit mostly if not all 95 BHP SE models. The Camberley dealer had two, the Hatch dealer had a list, and they said they could source one from another dealer if needed.

It looks as if VW churn out lots of cars, maybe mostly off the shelf ones, which delays production of custom builds. Maybe they decided that this is the most profitable way to make them. Or perhaps they really do have a huge order backlog. Then you have the fact that production is in South Africa, and they need to be transported by sea, then checked in Germany, which adds many weeks to delivery times.

Yes new models will have bugs and issues. But the advantage of buying new is that you have a three year or 60,000 mile warranty. I had an identical car on loan while mine was fixed. I suppose that is one reason not to buy from a far away dealer sourced using an online broker. Apparently the Up had gear box issues which were not fixed for 3-4 years, when they added an improved gear box casing. I bought the Up because it was the best car in its class at that time, and I am glad I did. The Polo is now the best in class in my opinion.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Leif wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:15 am I bought one of the first Ups in the UK, an RO12 reg, which I sold yesterday. It was faultless. They were in very short supply with a long waiting list, but there were plenty of off the shelf cars available, which is what I bought. Except they wouldn’t let me have it for a month so I had a Polo on loan, until they got a replacement for the showroom.

When I bought my Polo, a month ago, there were plenty available off the shelf, albeit mostly if not all 95 BHP SE models. The Camberley dealer had two, the Hatch dealer had a list, and they said they could source one from another dealer if needed.

It looks as if VW churn out lots of cars, maybe mostly off the shelf ones, which delays production of custom builds. Maybe they decided that this is the most profitable way to make them. Or perhaps they really do have a huge order backlog. Then you have the fact that production is in South Africa, and they need to be transported by sea, then checked in Germany, which adds many weeks to delivery times.

Yes new models will have bugs and issues. But the advantage of buying new is that you have a three year or 60,000 mile warranty. I had an identical car on loan while mine was fixed. I suppose that is one reason not to buy from a far away dealer sourced using an online broker. Apparently the Up had gear box issues which were not fixed for 3-4 years, when they added an improved gear box casing. I bought the Up because it was the best car in its class at that time, and I am glad I did. The Polo is now the best in class in my opinion.
@Leif, That’s a fair point regarding off the shelf, dealer stock. However, whether someone gets an off the shelf, ready-built car or wants to add features that aren’t part of the standard spec is a very personal choice. There are pros and cons to each; off the shelf and avoid the delays but maybe have to compromise on spec or colour choice, or built to order and get exactly what you want, but suffer the consequences of a potentially long delay.

I tend to keep my cars between 4-5 years, so if I’m going to have a car for that length of time, I like to have certain features that might not be part of the off the shelf build, especially if I’ve had those features on previous cars. This means a custom build for me, but I’m hoping that in a couple of years time when I’ll have had my current car 4+ years and I’m ready to change, the delay situation will have improved (my current GTI was at the dealers around 12 weeks after I ordered it).
stevereeves
Silver Member

Post by stevereeves »

I find Audis to be over priced for what they are: not overly stylish in comparison to VWs & very expensive when specced up like for like. Also I find with VWs (I'm on my 3rd, all Golfs): after the 'new car honeymoon' period wears off and it's just 'the car', when taking a trip in another make you appreciate the refinement of VWs and welcome the return to your car. A new Polo purchase is possibly immeninent for me and I'm much looking forward to trying one though time and commitment issues mean it will be in a week or so.....
Last edited by stevereeves on Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MagicBeans
New
Drives: Ordered GTI+ 01/02/2018

Post by MagicBeans »

I'm also waiting for a build date on a GTIplus, ordered on 1st February this year.

I've just checked the spec for the GTIplus in the pricelist brochure, and the 'sports select' suspension seems to have been replaced with 'Sports suspension, lowered by approx. 15mm'. There seems to be much confusion around what sports select is, but everything I've seen or read indicated that it was a manual (non-adaptive, so not the DCC system) switch of the dampers between softer and firmer settings. Was I dreaming? The GTIplus spec has gone off the configurator now, so I can't check there. Can anyone shed any light on this? I could do with something showing the precise spec of the GTIplus back in January.
Thommy
New
Drives: Blue GT

Post by Thommy »

MagicBeans wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:08 pm I'm also waiting for a build date on a GTIplus, ordered on 1st February this year.

I've just checked the spec for the GTIplus in the pricelist brochure, and the 'sports select' suspension seems to have been replaced with 'Sports suspension, lowered by approx. 15mm'. There seems to be much confusion around what sports select is, but everything I've seen or read indicated that it was a manual (non-adaptive, so not the DCC system) switch of the dampers between softer and firmer settings. Was I dreaming? The GTIplus spec has gone off the configurator now, so I can't check there. Can anyone shed any light on this? I could do with something showing the precise spec of the GTIplus back in January.
In the brochure of the car I ordered in Jan it says sports select suspension
stevereeves
Silver Member

Post by stevereeves »

Leif wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:03 am
Was that the a porter review? It was in my view misguided. Yes you can pay £3,000 more to get a Golf with similar performance, but why would you spend more, to get a bigger car that is harder to park, and a bit less fuel efficient, if you didn’t need more room inside? You can say the same about the Up. A Polo is only a bit more, so why buy a Polo? And so,on. So in my view the review came to a daft conclusion, but that’s the danger of being a car journalist, rather than someone making real life purchasing decisions.
Yeah it was Porter and your last bit is so true, I'd never tell anyone what to buy we all have our own requirments & situation, you pays yer money and makes yer choice. My car is garaged but it's such a tight turning area folk wonder how I manage it, sometimes several times daily and at nite, and the garage iself is quite narrow but a small price knowing car is safe (read out of sight from prying eyes and therefore sticky fingers). Garaging current Golf (though a faff to be honest) is quite doable, a Polo would be more so, next gen Golf if VW follow the trend to keep making cars ever bigger could well mean too much often difficult & complicated maneuvering. Hence my considering a Polo....
gti-polo-99
New
Drives: Hopefully 2018 Gti+ soon...

Post by gti-polo-99 »

I am considering purchasing a Polo Gti+ but have been trying to figure out how long it would take to receive one. I have been in contact with VW and they pretty much said the demand is so high that they have had to close orders :roll:

I was actually wondering if these cars have even been released in the UK yet, as I have yet to see one on the road? I see that you guys on here have ordered months ago and are still waiting, so I don't have much hope of getting one soon!

Also, what extras have you guys chosen?