Sport Select Suspension

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Klin42
New
Drives: 2018 SEL 115 6Sp

Sport Select Suspension

Post by Klin42 »

In a number of online reviews they recommend opting for Sport Select Suspension, but this is not as far as I can see listed in the brochure/price list only a Driving Profile Selection for £115 which enables minor tweaks to throttle response etc. Did this feature not make it to the UK models? I was quite keen as I am opting for 17in wheels on a SEL model
Teras_UK
New
Drives: VW Scirocco, SEL Electric orange

Re: Sport Select Suspension

Post by Teras_UK »

It is indeed available and is an option on my SEL to be arriving in the UK soon. I have it on my scirocco and it does make a good difference to the ride and that is with 18 inch wheels.
Klin42
New
Drives: 2018 SEL 115 6Sp

Post by Klin42 »

How odd, my dealer didn’t seem to know anything about it and as I said I can’t see it listed in the brochure/price list. I had it on a S3 a while back....
JustinHow1
New

Post by JustinHow1 »

I am also confused about this.
Autocar and the rest when reviewing the 2018 Polo GTI refer to an option called "Sport Select" which gives you adaptive suspension.
However this option does not appear on the VW Configurator.
When I spoke via chat to VW they says its part of the Driver Profile Selection (http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/ ... -selection) however as you can see it does not mention suspension directly at all so I am not convinced.
"Sports mode modifies the steering torque and produces a faster response with the accelerator pedal, steering and front lighting system. It also activates the seat belt tensioners and switches the dual-clutch gearbox DSG to “S” position.
Individual mode let’s you customise settings according to your own preferences. So you can tweak things like steering and accelerator pedal response, dynamic cornering lights and adaptive cruise control."

This is quite detailed, so would it not mention changes to suspension?
Can anyone else add to this?
JustinHow1
New

Post by JustinHow1 »

I have just found that on this page http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/polo-nf ... tails/3373 under Features it mentions "Sports select suspension" - is this just the sportier lowered suspension or the adjustable adaptive suspension? Not even mentioned in the brochure from what I could see.
MagicBeans
New
Drives: Ordered GTI+ 01/02/2018

Post by MagicBeans »

I had DCC (dynamic chassis control) on my sciroccos, and it is switchable between comfort (soft), sport (hardened) and normal (adaptive, apparently). From everything I've seen in reviews of the polo, 'sports select' is a non-adaptive version of this - on other words, you can select firmer or softer ride and damping. What's worrying me is that it seems to have vanished off the spec sheet for the GTI, even as an option. There only seems to be a reference to lowered suspension. It may be that switching is integrated into 'driver profile select' but that only seems to refer to steering, throttle, DSG and climate control responses. Has anyone heard anything that might clear this up?
JustinHow1
New

Post by JustinHow1 »

Quite - it is weird that an option that was mentioned in nearly every review of the GTI...
"True. Two suspensions are available – a 15mm lower, stiffer conventionally-damped setup with revised springs, dampers and ARBs is standard, but you can order ‘Sport Select’ suspension which also gives two-mode switchable (not adaptive, they stress) damping. We tried the latter, and we’re pleased to report it’s really quite good. " - Top Gear magazine
... has pretty much completely disappeared from their brochures, website etc. I am hoping that this has become standard on the UK spec GTI but it would help for VW to be much clearer on this.
TurboTrev
Getting There!
Drives: Golf CS

Post by TurboTrev »

I've also been trying to find out more to no avail. I've just been on the German configurator and Sports Select is an option. When you click on the information link, this is what you get:
TurboTrev
Getting There!

Post by TurboTrev »

Last edited by TurboTrev on Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JustinHow1
New

Post by JustinHow1 »

This all leads me to think that it is standard on the UK spec GTI Polo because as I mentioned above, under Features in the UK it says "Sports Select Suspension" see http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/polo-nf ... tails/3373
Love someone to definitely confirm this though and it is not just referencing the 15mm lowered suspension. Hopelessly confusing though when all the UK reviews referred to it as an option
TurboTrev
Getting There!

Post by TurboTrev »

TurboTrev wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:35 pm Also found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8TvoSNaQMg
I can see in the menu that there is a "Comfort" mode (the same as my Golf GTI which has DCC). All the videos that I have seen on youtube that show the driver selection buttons, non have had the Comfort button. Unfortunately, my bet is that the UK models will not have this initially - I reckon it will be a option added later. If so, I may cancel my GTI+ order.
TurboTrev
Getting There!

Post by TurboTrev »

JustinHow1 wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:48 pm This all leads me to think that it is standard on the UK spec GTI Polo because as I mentioned above, under Features in the UK it says "Sports Select Suspension" see http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/polo-nf ... tails/3373
Love someone to definitely confirm this though and it is not just referencing the 15mm lowered suspension. Hopelessly confusing though when all the UK reviews referred to it as an option
I hope you're right!
JustinHow1
New

Post by JustinHow1 »

I have emailed VW UK and I will post here if I get a reply that answers this.
TurboTrev
Getting There!

Post by TurboTrev »

Just had a look at the latest price list and it's not looking good. "Wheels and Suspension" shows 15mm lowered suspension and "Driver's Assistance" shows just 4 modes - no Comfort mode, or the ability to alter the suspension to Comfort in Individual mode (as per my Golf GTI) - see screenshot below. I think I may be cancelling.

SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

TurboTrev wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:17 pm Just had a look at the latest price list and it's not looking good. "Wheels and Suspension" shows 15mm lowered suspension and "Driver's Assistance" shows just 4 modes - no Comfort mode, or the ability to alter the suspension to Comfort in Individual mode (as per my Golf GTI) - see screenshot below. I think I may be cancelling.

Optional DCC in the Golf costs £850 and gives 3 suspension settings; Normal, Sport and Comfort. In the previous generation Polo GTI, the Sport Performance Pack had two settings; Normal and Sport, and it cost £245. I have it in my previous generation GTI and the system in my car isn’t dynamic - for the price (compared to the Golf’s DCC system), it wasn’t going to be. In my car, a button on the dash switches it between Normal (default) and Sport modes. Normal is the default setting, and in Sport you get firmer suspension setting, more weighty steering, sharper throttle response and fake ‘sporty’ noise piped into the cabin. The suspension in Sport mode is very firm - too firm for me in everyday use but OK for a quick blast, and handy for anyone who takes their car on the track. I pretty much leave mine in Normal, which is quite firm, but for me it’s fine, as a prefer a firm-ish (but not rock hard) ride.

The price of the Sport Select option for the current Polo GTI on the German configutator is €290, so IMO for that price, it’s likely to be similar in functionality to the low cost system that was offered as an option on the previous generation Polo GTI (two mode suspension settings; Normal and Sport), and not like the more expensive DCC set up in the Golf - so unlikely to have a third ‘Comfort’ suspension option.