Winter Pack?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Jason989
New
Drives: MK10

Winter Pack?

Post by Jason989 »

I ordered my Polo SE 3 months ago... and I’m still awaiting a build date but, that’s a separate issue!

Has anyone else ordered their Polo with the winter pack? Has anyone yet received their car with the winter pack?

Slightly concerned that Volkswagen seem to have removed heated washer jets and headlight washers from the pack, according to the configurator... but, on the current price list brochure, the winter pack does include these items.

I’ve seen a Polo Beats on Autotrader with the winter pack and it doesn’t appear to have headlight washers, which I’d be pretty disappointed about!
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Re: Winter Pack?

Post by mike sel »

Jason989 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:33 am I ordered my Polo SE 3 months ago... and I’m still awaiting a build date but, that’s a separate issue!

Has anyone else ordered their Polo with the winter pack? Has anyone yet received their car with the winter pack?

Slightly concerned that Volkswagen seem to have removed heated washer jets and headlight washers from the pack, according to the configurator... but, on the current price list brochure, the winter pack does include these items.

I’ve seen a Polo Beats on Autotrader with the winter pack and it doesn’t appear to have headlight washers, which I’d be pretty disappointed about!
Hi I ordered My SEL late January, it has winter pack. its currently on a ship heading towards Emden. As I understand it its due in my hands in about a months time. Yes I'm not over sure about the configurator as it stands. couple of issues. Winter pack was Heated seats, heated screen jets headlight washers and a water bottle low warning light. That's what I ordered so that's what I'm expecting. I agree it currently does not include the heated jets or headlight washers. And who is going to know if the washer jets are heated until that day next January when the washers would normally freeze? I guessing when I collect the car I will have to check the seats heat up, the washers are on the headlights and the low washer bottle warning comes on when I switch the engine on. If no washers I don't think I will worry, heated jets are a nice to have though. (if it suits me too I will argue for a reduction or a breach f contract). When I ordered the car the dealer gave me a meet your new Polo multi page specification sheet including a list of my options and a description of the options.

Another option on mine is Driver mode selection, when I ordered it, included were ECO, Sport, Normal, individual.....that's what I ordered that's what I expect. Configurator currently says. ECO. no Sport no Normal No individual. I'm just going to have the check it when I go to pick the car up. I'm not worried about normal as a option I think the lack of sport will be the issue here I will have paid £140 for an eco button otherwise. I think I will argue that is a breach of contract (if it suits me to).

I'm hoping its just the new configurator that wrong. for example there is a error on the SEL base inclusions. it says included is a slide and tilt sunroof. when I ordered the car there was no sunroof included. the sunroof also appears in the options list still and when you configure the SEL and do into 360 mode to look around the interior there is no sunroof shown unless you select it as an option. I just tried to configure the SEL again and I see they have corrected this error now. no sunroof as standard.

Sorry for the long reply but I do think there are a few configurator errors.

Try checking with the online chat guys they should put you right.
Last edited by mike sel on Sat May 05, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Hi Jason. The Polo GTI in the YouTube video at the link below has heated seats that form part of the Winter Pack (you can see the seat heater buttons at 3min 5sec in the video - outer buttons on the bottom row on the climate control panel). It doesn’t appear to have headlamp washers though; if it did, then the front bumper would have a small headlamp washer cover just below each headlamp that would pop up when the headlamp washers were activated, and it doesn’t have these.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lYfqrTRCv38

I’ve not seen pictures or videos of any new Polo where the front bumper has headlamp washer covers, suggesting that headlamp washers aren’t fitted.

I have headlamp washers on my previous generation Polo and I’d prefer it if it didn’t have them (they came as standard on the previous model Polo if you had LED headlamps, which mine does have);
  • i don’t find them to be very effective at keeping the headlamps clean
  • They use an awful lot of washer fluid
  • They’re very good at spraying washer fluid all over the bonnet of the car - annoying if you’ve just cleaned your car
  • They can freeze up in very cold weather and get stuck in the extended position with the washer covers open if the concentration of washer fluid isn’t strong enough to protect against freezing
I’ve read on some of the VW forums of some Golf owners deactivating their headlamp washers, for the reasons stated above.

It’s not unknown for VW to have inconsistencies in the product information given on the configurator and in brochures, so probably worth contacting VW customer services or your dealer to get clarification on whether the winter pack now only consists of heated seats and low washer fluid warning indicator - which does look to be the case.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

SRGTD wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 12:39 pm Hi Jason. The Polo GTI in the YouTube video at the link below has heated seats that form part of the Winter Pack (you can see the seat heater buttons at 3min 5sec in the video - outer buttons on the bottom row on the climate control panel). It doesn’t appear to have headlamp washers though; if it did, then the front bumper would have a small headlamp washer cover just below each headlamp that would pop up when the headlamp washers were activated, and it doesn’t have these.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lYfqrTRCv38

I’ve not seen pictures or videos of any new Polo where the front bumper has headlamp washer covers, suggesting that headlamp washers aren’t fitted.

I have headlamp washers on my previous generation Polo and I’d prefer it if it didn’t have them (they came as standard on the previous model Polo if you had LED headlamps, which mine does have);
  • i don’t find them to be very effective at keeping the headlamps clean
  • They use an awful lot of washer fluid
  • They’re very good at spraying washer fluid all over the bonnet of the car - annoying if you’ve just cleaned your car
  • They can freeze up in very cold weather and get stuck in the extended position with the washer covers open if the concentration of washer fluid isn’t strong enough to protect against freezing
I’ve read on some of the VW forums of some Golf owners deactivating their headlamp washers, for the reasons stated above.

It’s not unknown for VW to have inconsistencies in the product information given on the configurator and in brochures, so probably worth contacting VW customer services or your dealer to get clarification on whether the winter pack now only consists of heated seats and low washer fluid warning indicator - which does look to be the case.
Yes good point on the washers. I'm not over worried about these but IF the washer jets are not heated then I will be a little annoyed. I ordered the winter pack for the heated seats mainly the heated jets washers and low washer warning were just nice to haves.

Its the current potential lack of Sport in on the driver selection mode that concerns me. I did not order this option for the eco setting alone! If no sport I will ask for a refund on this item.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Jason989 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:33 am I ordered my Polo SE 3 months ago... and I’m still awaiting a build date but, that’s a separate issue!

Ok I just had an on line conversation with VW I will try to copy the reply here

VW
As for the Driver Profile Select, I can confirm that this includes a choice of four pre-set modes: Eco,
Normal, Sport or Individual modes. Individual mode allows
manual settings for steering, drive, dynamic cornering lights and air conditioning settings. 13:06
VW
Does this help to clarify this information for you, Mike? 13:06
mike
that's brilliant its just the winter pack inclusions please sir 13:07
VW
Of course. The Winter Pack includes heated front seats, headlight washers, heated windscreen washer
jets and low washer fluid warning light. 13:07
mike
your a star, you may wish to report to whoever that the UK configurator is incorrect. each option is there
but driver mode now just says ECO and the winter pack just says heated seats and Washer low level
warning only 13:09
VW
I see. I do apologise for any confusion that this information may have caused. I will certainly forward this
to our Marketing Team for you so that this can be rectified with the correct information.

As you can see VW have just confirmed live that both options are as we expect them to be. Hope this helps you
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

It would be interesting to know what information source VW Customer Services use when responding to queries such as this; they could have been quoting from the price list brochure, and it could be the price list rather than the configurator that’s incorrect. Playing devil’s advocate, I wonder how VW Customer Services would explain the absence of the headlamp washer covers from the front bumper?

I’ve just checked the price list brochure for both the new and previous model Polo;
  • Previous model; Winter pack - heated front seats, headlamp washers, heated windscreen washer jets and low washer fluid warning light. RRP incl VAT; £365
  • New Polo; description as per previous model. RRP incl VAT £285
It would be very unusual for VW to reduce the cost of an option by £80 (22%) without reducing the content of that option. The lower price of £285 does suggest some elements of the winter pack have been deleted for the new Polo.

Hopefully VW Customer Services response is correct and you guys that have ordered the winter pack get what you’re expecting to get.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

I have the Winter Pack, not necessarily by choice it was standard equipment. The headlamp washers are, in my opinion, more hassle than they are worth. They work ok, sure, but you are then left with wet headlamps which gather dust meaning you still have to clean them by hand anyway, probably more than you would otherwise. They also use a lot more washer fluid and are set to function, I think, every 3rd time the windscreen washers are activated, which is annoying, though you can apparently change this via an OBD II device, though I lack the patience and confidence in such things. Er, hope this kinda helps....
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

stevereeves wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 2:46 pm I have the Winter Pack, not necessarily by choice it was standard equipment. The headlamp washers are, in my opinion, more hassle than they are worth. They work ok, sure, but you are then left with wet headlamps which gather dust meaning you still have to clean them by hand anyway, probably more than you would otherwise. They also use a lot more washer fluid and are set to function, I think, every 3rd time the windscreen washers are activated, which is annoying, though you can apparently change this via an OBD II device, though I lack the patience and confidence in such things. Er, hope this kinda helps....
@stevereeves, is that on your Golf and not a new Polo?
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Yes, I imagine the Polo headlight washers operate the same, every 3rd squirt, though it's probably the same on all cars so equipped vis a vis, getting wet & dirty headlamps. Just sayin' as I do tend to speak as i find.....
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

SRGTD wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 1:46 pm It would be interesting to know what information source VW Customer Services use when responding to queries such as this; they could have been quoting from the price list brochure, and it could be the price list rather than the configurator that’s incorrect. Playing devil’s advocate, I wonder how VW Customer Services would explain the absence of the headlamp washer covers from the front bumper?

I’ve just checked the price list brochure for both the new and previous model Polo;
  • Previous model; Winter pack - heated front seats, headlamp washers, heated windscreen washer jets and low washer fluid warning light. RRP incl VAT; £365
  • New Polo; description as per previous model. RRP incl VAT £285
It would be very unusual for VW to reduce the cost of an option by £80 (22%) without reducing the content of that option. The lower price of £285 does suggest some elements of the winter pack have been deleted for the new Polo.

Hopefully VW Customer Services response is correct and you guys that have ordered the winter pack get what you’re expecting to get.
Well heated seats n washer jests would be ideal. not worried about the headlight washers IMO they do seem more trouble than they are worth.
But IF they are there when I get the car I will be equally as happy.
Jason989
New
Drives: MK10

Post by Jason989 »

Thanks for the replies, they’re all very useful!

I currently have a Volvo with a winter pack option and personally, I find the headlight washers great over winter when I’ve been driving around country roads. Headlight washers are the main reason why I chose the winter pack for the Polo... I enjoy the heated seats in the Volvo but, they’re leather so they do really need them... the Polo with its cloth seats I feel will be nice with heated seats but, just not as essential.

I’ve messaged Volkswagen for clarification, I’ll be quite annoyed if headlight washers have been dropped!
alandbess
Bronze Member
Drives: Scirocco

Post by alandbess »

I was lead to believe that the winter pack included heated seats and washer jets, headlamp washers and low wash fluid level indicator..
The released press cars may not be of correct specification though.... Press cars are notorious for having incorrect specs (I know, I worked on prototype and press vehicles for BMW and VW for several years prepping for shows and press presentations) and they are built with strange combinations of options that wouldn't normally be available to order by a customer. In all the reviews of the GTI it has a digital display, but in the real world it's only an option on the GTI and standard on the GTI+

But saying that, I've been told that the GTI (+) has fully independent rear suspension, but I'm hearing whispers that it has a torsion rear beam (albeit modified for the GTI spec)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

alandbess
Bronze Member
Drives: Scirocco

Post by alandbess »

And to add, I only ordered my GTI+ (with winter pack) 5 weeks ago. If you've ordered yours 3 months ago and still haven't had a build confirmation I'm well and truly up the creek for getting mine this side of Christmas.....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Looks like a torsion rear beam axle for the GTI / GTI+ (see cutaway below) and not independent rear suspension. Although the brochure does mention multi link rear axle. It won’t be the first time there are inaccuracies in VW’s product and promotional literature!
Attachments
6DD18BB1-C2FE-4172-89C4-C4BE20D14D1B.jpeg
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Jason989 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 7:56 pm Thanks for the replies, they’re all very useful!

I currently have a Volvo with a winter pack option and personally, I find the headlight washers great over winter when I’ve been driving around country roads. Headlight washers are the main reason why I chose the winter pack for the Polo... I enjoy the heated seats in the Volvo but, they’re leather so they do really need them... the Polo with its cloth seats I feel will be nice with heated seats but, just not as essential.

I’ve messaged Volkswagen for clarification, I’ll be quite annoyed if headlight washers have been dropped!
I completely agree with you there wrt headlight washers, we have had them on 4 cars now, 1 by choice and 3 due to having HIDs or LEDs headlights - so on these 3 required by UK law.

First 2 cars with headlight washers were kept for over 13 years and 1 car needed a new pump due to its design and positioning in the car - it got hit with too much road water/salt and corroded>split the top of the pump body.

Driving in winter without headlight washers, well that might be okay for city dwellers that never get out onto the open road - but for those that do, dirty water/grit/salt quickly reduce the light output - and that can only be removed by these washers, unless you are dumb enough to create a hazard by stopping at the side of the road to clean the lights.

To date I have never had any issues with windscreen washer fluid freezing, and I live quite far North and at least 100 meters above sea level so plenty chances of moving around in nasty conditions.