New Tyres (2016 Polo GTI)

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
DasSantos
New
Drives: Polo GTI 6C

New Tyres (2016 Polo GTI)

Post by DasSantos »

Hi,

I had the original Bridgestone Potenza S001's on both my rear and front axles. The front tyres wore out after roughly 18000 miles which prompted me to get Goodyear Asymmetric 3's. They were excellent tyres however as they were put on the front, they only lasted 12000 miles. I am looking to replace the goodyear's with the Michelin Pro Pilot 4's and wanted to know whether to put the tyres on the front or rear axle. I still have the original S001's on the back which have lasted 30000 miles so should I put those at the front and put the Pro Pilot's on the rear (or vice versa)???

Also, please let me know whether placing the michelin's on the front axle gives me the best grip when accelerating hard in 1st/2nd gear or the rear axle?

Thanks in advance.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: New Tyres (2016 Polo GTI)

Post by iichel »

I don't think any tire will last long if you're driving like a hooligan :mrgreen:
If you fancy some sporty driving, always put the best tires on the rear. The rear needs to be stable, since oversteer is much harder to overcome than understeer.
DasSantos
New
Drives: Polo GTI 6C

Post by DasSantos »

Ahh, I understand. I drive sensibly for economical reasons most of the time. I just found it annoying when I did put my foot down in dry conditions, the car would not grip very well so hopefully, putting the new pro pilot's on the rear solves that issue :D :D
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Honestly, there is no harm in buying and driving a car that has "enough" power to be enjoyable, but with making that buying decision you should be prepared to keep it in good condition, with a Polo like that, I would have been noting the front tyre wear and swopping the wheels end to end and then when the time came, probably at a tread depth of 3.5mm or maybe more, replace all the tyres. You seem to have ignored what this car needs if owned by someone that enjoyed and understood what it takes to run that type of car. I think that you should have dug deep a long time ago and started to fit Michelins as VW would have only fitted the cheapest tyre that they could get away with.

Maybe for your pocket, running a Polo GTI is not for you judging by your actions up to now?
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

lmao 18000 miles out of a set of fronts on a gti

i've just ticked over to 15000miles total and have nearly burnt through the 3rd set of fronts (the oem bridgestones and a set of goodyear eagle f1 gsd3 )

so i'd say you are doing well

i always put my new tyres on the rear.
Sb0811
New
Drives: 6C

Post by Sb0811 »

I have the Michelin on my front and you will absolutely love them. So grippy. No wheel spin and the handling is crazy. Had the conti’s and they’re awful compared to the Mich
AlistairRuddick
New

Post by AlistairRuddick »

Hi mic tyres did you use my new polo GTi wheel spins like a motherfuc.. on its oem bridgestones and it’s getting v annoying 😂

Cheers in advance
simmi098
New
Drives: 2016 Polo 6C GTI

Post by simmi098 »

Bridgestone S001 tyres are a joke and they're also damn expensive compared with better performance tyres and they also don't last very long in my experience.

I still have them on the rear, they still have 5mm tread and have now covered 38k, whereas on my old Golf Mk4 PD130, they would only last 20k max on the rear (again S001), so goes to show how light the rear is on the Polo, lol.

I personally never seem to get the rear kicking out, but I don't drive it to extremes where that would be the case anyway.

I found the Uniroyal Rainsport 3s to be better than the S001 and I've just changed to the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 on the front, I'm very impressed with them so far and we've been having alot of rain. Spins tyres up much less than any other tyre I've had, but I haven't tried Michellin Pilot Sports - so I can't comment on the performance of these, but alot of people report they're pretty crap in comparrison in the wet?