New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by barrywi »

I think it is about two weeks to Emden via Vigo and maybe a Belgian port, then about two weeks in Emden and in transit to Sheerness or another uk port.
george2596
New
Drives: Polo 63plate

Post by george2596 »

barrywi wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:43 pm I think it is about two weeks to Emden via Vigo and maybe a Belgian port, then about two weeks in Emden and in transit to Sheerness or another uk port.
Thanks Barrywi!!! So my dealership are selling dreams by telling me collection on the 15th?
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

I think the system is in chaos at the moment I have had two reports on the app that our car has been built. Just spoken to VW customer relations where a gentleman is following our car for me and it is not yet on a ship so I have no idea when it may depart. You are presumably aware that your car cannot be registered as a 68 due to VW not getting the new fuel consumption tests done( unless that only applies to the gti) The factory shuts down very soon in South Africa for two months and only cars made when it re opens will be able to be 68 reg( again maybe just the gti models?)
At least you have a ship to follow . I think it calls in Vigo and maybe Zeebrugge to unload cars so once it leaves the last port the ship tracker should give you an eta for its arrival in Emden. They are then taken for checking and loaded onto an appropriate boat for Sheerness in your case. My dealer was hinting at some sort of compensation from VW if cars cannot be held for 68 reg but not 100% on whether it is all models or just Gtis or if it is true!
The dealers sometimes know less than what is discussed on this forum!
I will feel more relaxed when our car is on a boat, not too bothered about the 68 reg as we are putting a private plate on the car. Hope yours comes soon, I presume you have a ship tracker loaded?
george2596
New

Post by george2596 »

barrywi wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:15 pm I think the system is in chaos at the moment I have had two reports on the app that our car has been built. Just spoken to VW customer relations where a gentleman is following our car for me and it is not yet on a ship so I have no idea when it may depart. You are presumably aware that your car cannot be registered as a 68 due to VW not getting the new fuel consumption tests done( unless that only applies to the gti) The factory shuts down very soon in South Africa for two months and only cars made when it re opens will be able to be 68 reg( again maybe just the gti models?)
At least you have a ship to follow . I think it calls in Vigo and maybe Zeebrugge to unload cars so once it leaves the last port the ship tracker should give you an eta for its arrival in Emden. They are then taken for checking and loaded onto an appropriate boat for Sheerness in your case. My dealer was hinting at some sort of compensation from VW if cars cannot be held for 68 reg but not 100% on whether it is all models or just Gtis or if it is true!
The dealers sometimes know less than what is discussed on this forum!
I will feel more relaxed when our car is on a boat, not too bothered about the 68 reg as we are putting a private plate on the car. Hope yours comes soon, I presume you have a ship tracker loaded?
I certainly do have the tracker, Im tracking it so much I feel like I'm on the boat haha! I too have a private plate so not too bothered about the plate reg.

Will the eta update be on the godforsaken VW tracker app?
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

I do not know as I have never got to that stage. Try the live chat help on the VW main site under help or contact.
Do not feel guilty about the boat track obsession, I will be just the same. I am retired so it helps to pass the day . At the moment it is " Guess which ship", the Nordic Ace is on its way to Port Elizabeth , due on the 18 th, but no idea if our car will squeeze on it yet.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

The ship is Viking Bravery , got it wrong!
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

Just to add the the ship tracking obsession, the ships travel at different speeds! :shock:

The Capricornus Leader is travelling at an average of 15.6 knots where as the Galaxy Ace 17.9 knots.

This translates to a difference of 3 or 4 days just for the vessel to reach Europe from Port Elizbeth.

Mine’s on the slow boat. lol.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Mines on the NO boat :cry:
george2596
New

Post by george2596 »

Annoying thing is, my dealership are ADAMANT that the car will be here no later than the 15th July which is so unrealistic, it is beyond belief!!! I am fed up now! Never ever will I buy a new car again
roywolfey
Silver Member

Post by roywolfey »

barrywi wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:52 pm Mines on the NO boat :cry:
It didn’t make it on the to the Galaxy Ace then. :(
roywolfey
Silver Member

Post by roywolfey »

george2596 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:02 pm Annoying thing is, my dealership are ADAMANT that the car will be here no later than the 15th July which is so unrealistic, it is beyond belief!!! I am fed up now! Never ever will I buy a new car again
It’s not outside the realms of possibility. Patience is certainly a virtue when you place a factory order for a Polo!
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

roywolfey wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:33 pm
barrywi wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:52 pm Mines on the NO boat :cry:
It didn’t make it on the to the Galaxy Ace then. :(
I rang up the man at vw uk who seems to be monitoring the progress of my order , probably because I have sent so many queries, and he said it was not on the Galaxy Ace . He said sometimes they use trains from the factory to the port which can delay things. He promised to monitor the situation and let me know which ship it is on. Fingers croseed for the next ship to arrive!
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

The next vehicle carrier bound for Port Elizabeth looks to be Viking Bravery which seems to be contracted with Gram Car Carriers but according to their schedule it looks like it’s bound for Australia after visiting South Africa.

Country Port ETA ETD
Belgium Zeebrugge 09.06.2018 10.06.2018
South Africa Port Elizabeth 16.06.2018 16.06.2018
South Africa East London 17.06.2018 17.06.2018
South Africa Durban 18.06.2018 18.06.2018
Australia Fremantle 02.07.2018 02.07.2018
Australia Melbourne 07.07.2018 07.07.2018
Australia PortKembla 09.07.2018 09.07.2018
Australia Brisbane 11.07.2018 11.07.2018
Japan Yokohama 22.07.2018 22.07.2018

Update: Green Ridge is due on the 15th but is a USA flagged vessel. It would appear it came to South Africa via Southampton and Bremerhaven so it may be going back to Europe before USA.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

There are a couple of car transporters in Durban heading for Port London next , I cannot remember their names. VW are going to have to get their act together to get our cars to the UK before the August 15 th deadline, though I believe some European countries have extended their WLTP deadlines into September.
There is talk at my dealers of compensation for people pressured into registering before August 15 th so I would ask your dealers about the figures being discussed .
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

barrywi wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:39 pm There is talk at my dealers of compensation for people pressured into registering before August 15 th so I would ask your dealers about the figures being discussed .
That would be a bonus. I always intended to get mine on a 68 plate and I fully believe that an early 68 plate is going to be worth £750-1000 more than a very late 18 plate at 3 years old. Although they may have only been made 6 weeks apart, to the next buyer, they look 6 months apart. When people buy late registrations before an imminent plate change, they usually get a healthy discount for having done so.

Mine is on a broker discount, and coming through the fleet side of a dealership - not sure if only bona-fide retail customers would be eligible for any offerings. As it is, i'd expect 10.8% discount to be achievable through retail, but as an early adopter, you do have access to fewer incentives - the GTI/GTI+ are selling themselves without offering deposit contributions or free insurance, maybe in a year's time there'll be better deals when demand has softened slightly.

I'd expect a BW23 car like mine and yours to be with us at the end of July, there'd need to be a hell of a delay to miss Aug 15th, or would they end up registering the cars before they've even hit the UK (knowing the VIN number) if they would not arrive at the dealerships before that date?

Keep us informed if you are offered anything. I wonder whether any compensation would come out of the dealership's margin rather than being offered up by VW UK? When my Golf R took 8 months to get here and I pestered the life out of VW UK after 6 months had elapsed, my dealership's salesman said that VW UK put pressure on the dealership to compensate me by offering something that has a high RRP but wouldn't cost the dealership much. My R ended up having "free" lifeshine applied as a surprise on collection, with a large pack of Autoglym products. The Lifeshine essentials to apply can be had for about £20 on ebay, and the big pack is more like £45 on ebay, with maybe 2 hours labour for application. Worst case that freebie cost the dealership about £80 to supply and apply, but has an RRP of £300 at the dealership.