New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
alandbess
Bronze Member
Drives: Scirocco

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by alandbess »

I received a text message from my retailer yesterday stating the obvious, that i haven't had a build week confirmed. Oh well, let's sit and wait....
Today I received a phone call. It was the lovely Maya from my retailer. They have a dealer GTI+ at status 30. It's still in S.A., and will be about 8 -10 weeks, but they have asked if I would consider having it....
It's Reef Blue, with 18's and sat nav. I'm going to see them on Saturday morning! [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Scottydoo45
New
Drives: Polo gti

Post by Scottydoo45 »

I'm starting g to get annoyed now I just want a car, and right now I'm sat in the vw dealership taking my gfs up in for a service and they booked it in for a different day than they told us, so no courtesy car and my love for vw is falling a little more...rage
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:48 pm
barrywi wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:39 pm There is talk at my dealers of compensation for people pressured into registering before August 15 th so I would ask your dealers about the figures being discussed .
That would be a bonus. I always intended to get mine on a 68 plate and I fully believe that an early 68 plate is going to be worth £750-1000 more than a very late 18 plate at 3 years old. Although they may have only been made 6 weeks apart, to the next buyer, they look 6 months apart. When people buy late registrations before an imminent plate change, they usually get a healthy discount for having done so.

Mine is on a broker discount, and coming through the fleet side of a dealership - not sure if only bona-fide retail customers would be eligible for any offerings. As it is, i'd expect 10.8% discount to be achievable through retail, but as an early adopter, you do have access to fewer incentives - the GTI/GTI+ are selling themselves without offering deposit contributions or free insurance, maybe in a year's time there'll be better deals when demand has softened slightly.

I'd expect a BW23 car like mine and yours to be with us at the end of July, there'd need to be a hell of a delay to miss Aug 15th, or would they end up registering the cars before they've even hit the UK (knowing the VIN number) if they would not arrive at the dealerships before that date?

Keep us informed if you are offered anything. I wonder whether any compensation would come out of the dealership's margin rather than being offered up by VW UK? When my Golf R took 8 months to get here and I pestered the life out of VW UK after 6 months had elapsed, my dealership's salesman said that VW UK put pressure on the dealership to compensate me by offering something that has a high RRP but wouldn't cost the dealership much. My R ended up having "free" lifeshine applied as a surprise on collection, with a large pack of Autoglym products. The Lifeshine essentials to apply can be had for about £20 on ebay, and the big pack is more like £45 on ebay, with maybe 2 hours labour for application. Worst case that freebie cost the dealership about £80 to supply and apply, but has an RRP of £300 at the dealership.
Have sent you a PM with information not yet to be posted on here
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:48 pm
barrywi wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:39 pm There is talk at my dealers of compensation for people pressured into registering before August 15 th so I would ask your dealers about the figures being discussed .
That would be a bonus. I always intended to get mine on a 68 plate and I fully believe that an early 68 plate is going to be worth £750-1000 more than a very late 18 plate at 3 years old. Although they may have only been made 6 weeks apart, to the next buyer, they look 6 months apart. When people buy late registrations before an imminent plate change, they usually get a healthy discount for having done so.

Mine is on a broker discount, and coming through the fleet side of a dealership - not sure if only bona-fide retail customers would be eligible for any offerings. As it is, i'd expect 10.8% discount to be achievable through retail, but as an early adopter, you do have access to fewer incentives - the GTI/GTI+ are selling themselves without offering deposit contributions or free insurance, maybe in a year's time there'll be better deals when demand has softened slightly.

I'd expect a BW23 car like mine and yours to be with us at the end of July, there'd need to be a hell of a delay to miss Aug 15th, or would they end up registering the cars before they've even hit the UK (knowing the VIN number) if they would not arrive at the dealerships before that date?

Keep us informed if you are offered anything. I wonder whether any compensation would come out of the dealership's margin rather than being offered up by VW UK? When my Golf R took 8 months to get here and I pestered the life out of VW UK after 6 months had elapsed, my dealership's salesman said that VW UK put pressure on the dealership to compensate me by offering something that has a high RRP but wouldn't cost the dealership much. My R ended up having "free" lifeshine applied as a surprise on collection, with a large pack of Autoglym products. The Lifeshine essentials to apply can be had for about £20 on ebay, and the big pack is more like £45 on ebay, with maybe 2 hours labour for application. Worst case that freebie cost the dealership about £80 to supply and apply, but has an RRP of £300 at the dealership.
Have sent you a PM with information not yet to be posted on here
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

I was unofficially shown a list of discounts to be available to customers pressured into registering before August 15 th with a list of models and three option prices. He was not sure why the three option prices were there, maybe depending on how close to September it got.
To save having to send pms to everybody I may as well mention the figures shown to me as they will come out anyway and VW are treating customers badly ( NOT my dealer!) .
The two figures shown to me were £500 and £750 but the dealer had no idea what the criteria for the higher figure were.
Personally I do not want packs of Autoglyms products, small or large , as I have five in my garage from magazine subscription offers. I also find the Autoglym polish leaves white residues unlike Meguiars that I use. The " Lifetime Polish" applications dont last a lifetime in my experience, but a VW dog guard plus £750.00 would make me happy , and the dog.
I am obsessed at the moment on making sure our car gets on a ship, I do not know what happens if it arrives after 15 th August .
As a side note other european countries have not been as strict about the 15th August, maybe something to do with them not having the registration letter changes that we do.
I will post with any updates.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Thanks for the info (and the pm) Barry. If that higher tier of discount is related to customer loyalty then hopefully i'd score as the Polo will be my 8th VW bought new.

Maybe the higher tier is for being that bit closer to Sept.

Not sure if i'll be eligible as my order is being fulfilled via the fleet side (ordered via a broker), but as that order is tied to me personally and not through the broker, hoping that it shouldn't matter.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Just rang my dealership and discussed the discount scheme as well as the apparent disappearance of the extended warranty.

She reckons that she'll probably be able to add the warranty manually due to BW being confirmed before the change, but wouldn't know for sure until she tries. Probably won't go for it now anyway.

She also said she was aware of the discount bulletin but was unclear on the exact eligibility criteria. She did say that if my car is eligible then i'll get it, it won't get swallowed up by them on the sly.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Green Ridge, a car transporter is parked in Port Elizabeth ...does anyone know where it is heading next? Emden via Vigo etc , hopefully with our cars on board!
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

As an aside, my dealer told me that cars made in South Africa have to be protected by plastic bags to prevent some kind of rodent getting inside. I hope I do not find a crocodile in me boot! ....or is that the wrong continent?
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

barrywi wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:02 am As an aside, my dealer told me that cars made in South Africa have to be protected by plastic bags to prevent some kind of rodent getting inside. I hope I do not find a crocodile in me boot! ....or is that the wrong continent?
If our cars are on Green Ridge I hope my car is wrapped properly as that ship has had to be fumigated twice in the last few years for black widow infestations.
Cadwest
Bronze Member

Post by Cadwest »

barrywi wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:57 pm Green Ridge, a car transporter is parked in Port Elizabeth ...does anyone know where it is heading next? Emden via Vigo etc , hopefully with our cars on board!
Green Ridge is getting ready to leave port and is heading for Spain and should be there by 02/07 so good news.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Just seen that myself, fingers crossed but preferably without the black widow spiders( was it on the options list?)
Will check on Monday to see if our cars are on board.
Cadwest
Bronze Member

Post by Cadwest »

Watching the tugs alongside it as I type.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

How do you do that?
Cadwest
Bronze Member

Post by Cadwest »

barrywi wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:14 pm How do you do that?
On MarineTraffic zoom into Port Elizabeth till it fills the screen and if you go into layers on left side you can put all the ships names on.