Automatic braking

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Alan Mc
New
Drives: 2018 polo GTI+ Limestone grey

Automatic braking

Post by Alan Mc »

Hi all.

Not sure how you all feel about the automatic braking system in the car. My car has activated it 3 times now and only 1 of those times it was a near miss due to the car in front coming to a complete stop on a 60 road for no apparent reason.

The other two times the car has auto braked when the car in front has stopped to turn at the junction ahead. I am already slowing down and the car puts full brakes on and the car behind almost rear ends me due to the sudden braking. We are talking 2 car lengths away from the stopped car. I have it set on the middle setting should I change this ?

Anyone else have this so far. Just asking as my car is going on to be looked at on Monday and don’t know if this is something I should bring up as another fault ? Sorry if this is stupid never had a car with auto braking before.

Thanks.

Alan
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Re: Automatic braking

Post by johnpolo2 »

You're not the first to experience such problems. It's been highlighted before by others over the years.
I don't have it on my current model and would rather not have it at all tbh.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

Hi Alan Mc

Thought I would give you and others my experiences of driving with ACC / Automatic Braking.

I have a 2016 Golf R and love the ACC but there are a few things that I have picked up over last two years.

The default position for ACC is third segment and at times (slower speeds say 30) can be a bit too much of a gap, so I normally reduce to two segments.

I’ve had the front sensor flash up as having a problem three times ( twice due to going through high level water, it cleared itself once out of water) the only time it stayed as a fault, I cleaned the sensor as a huge moth/insect had hit it and once clear it was fine. ( The sensor is on lower part of bumper)

As for violent braking, I’ve had it once (when I wasn’t ready for it). Car in front pulled into a separate lane to turn right and I had a clear lane for onward travel but it decided it was slamming on brakes. Not sure the driver was too impressed but they didn’t blow their horn.

So basically I always override (with accelerator) if someone is turning ahead with a separate lane. The radar array obviously doesn’t see the vehicle has left clear space.

Also it’s not unusual for me to have foot on brake and be braking and it thinks it needs to brake some more. Bit annoying as it looks like you can’t drive to those behind but on review it’s those times when someone is turning left or right and I’ve maybe got a little too close.

But to finish, I’d say just remember that brake or press accelerator to cancel the braking and override the system.

Hope that helps a bit. Happy driving

Andy
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

Mine has braked several times while going round a sharp corner, it was very very scary and could have caused an accident. There was no car or object in front of me. It braked again this morning. Someone stopped suddenly (one of those people who stop dead to let someone turn right, when it would have been quicker for him and me to continue, and let the other car turn after we had passed), and just as I was about to press the brakes I felt a judder consistent with auto braking which stopped as soon as I pressed the brakes. The dashboard often lights up with a warning, almost always when there is no danger. The "you are too close to the car in front" symbol sometimes lights up, but it's inconsistent. I've tested it, and sometimes it lights when there is a good distance ahead, sometimes it doesn't light when I am too close to the car ahead.

I know this should stop me rear ending someone. However in 20 years of driving I've never come close to doing so, and I am concerned that this feature is dangerous and can cause an accident. I was told at the local dealership that the assistants Golf can brake unexpectedly, so it's not just the Polo auto braking that is pants.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Thanks for your experiences with the ACC "AndyGTi". I was wondering how many segments you had to set it to, for safer driving, without too many emergency stops.
I would think they could have a lot of problems with that out in Germany, when we were out there, you leave more than a cars length in front of you and they just push in, first off it's quite scary. Also found on their autobahns, they will come past you like bats out of hell, you are keeping up a constant speed, on a long journey, you will swap places with them a few times, they don't seem to keep their speed at a constant rate, one minute their doing 120 MPH, the next they drop down to 50 MPH, and you just stick to your 70 MPH in cruise control :roll:
Alan Mc
New
Drives: 2018 polo GTI+ Limestone grey

Post by Alan Mc »

Thanks for the comments everyone. I wasn’t aware that you could cancel it by pressing the brake peddle or accelerator. I haven’t used to cc yet so will also bare those comments in mind when I do.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I had this issue on my GTD until I changed the sensitivity of the ACC/anti-collision settings. My ACC is set to be at minimum distance when on and the warning for the anti crash system is set to very late. As a result, the car has only flashed up and braked once in two years since and that’s because someone pulled out very last minute. I’ve also made the same changes to my wife’s polo and my dads t-roc and since I made the changes neither of them have had any issues with the system. VW set the system to the middle option as standard, but then it seems over sensitive to everything. I sometimes get a warning in winter at sharp corners but it’s never braked for me.

You can also set the ACC to come on at the last set interval so you aren’t always having to increase/ decrease the distance when you want to use your ACC.
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

silverhairs wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:25 pm Thanks for your experiences with the ACC "AndyGTi". I was wondering how many segments you had to set it to, for safer driving, without too many emergency stops.
I would think they could have a lot of problems with that out in Germany, when we were out there, you leave more than a cars length in front of you and they just push in, first off it's quite scary. Also found on their autobahns, they will come past you like bats out of hell, you are keeping up a constant speed, on a long journey, you will swap places with them a few times, they don't seem to keep their speed at a constant rate, one minute their doing 120 MPH, the next they drop down to 50 MPH, and you just stick to your 70 MPH in cruise control :roll:
It defaults to 3 segments on my car at start up but I normally reduce to two segments, as 3 can leave too big a gap. Also worth remembering that the segments vary in length so eco mode will have much longer gap than Race/Sport mode.

Leif - I know on Golf Forum some people have talked about traffic signs and even silver foil crisp packets confusing the radar. So I wonder if a traffic sign maybe caused your heavy braking at the sharp bend.

Andy
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

On my wife’s Ibiza the emergency brake system activates on the same road at the same spot due to a lamppost every time we go down it, kind of got used to it now.