GTI plus spare wheel

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

GTI plus spare wheel

Post by barrywi »

As VW have removed the headlamp washers from the package I was wondering what is under the boot floor. I know the battery is in the boot so is there room for any sort of spare wheel or is it a squirty can and fingers crossed?
joeknight94
New
Drives: Polo GTI+ DSG

Re: GTI plus spare wheel

Post by joeknight94 »

barrywi wrote:As VW have removed the headlamp washers from the package I was wondering what is under the boot floor. I know the battery is in the boot so is there room for any sort of spare wheel or is it a squirty can and fingers crossed?

Got a space saver in my GTI Plus [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Thankyou very glad.
loadswine
New
Drives: Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Post by loadswine »

Interesting, as this wasn’t on the options listwhen I ordered mine. Was yours ordered Joe, or was it just a pleasant surprise?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

loadswine wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:10 am Interesting, as this wasn’t on the options listwhen I ordered mine. Was yours ordered Joe, or was it just a pleasant surprise?
It’s not listed as an option as it’s part of the standard spec for the Polo, other than the Beats model which gets a tyre mobility kit, including compressor.

According to the price list, the spare is a full size one on the S and SE models and a space saver on the R-Line, SEL, GTI and GTI+.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

I wasn't expecting a spare as the press car I saw in the YouTube video didn't have one and I made the assumption that it would be a tyre repair kit only. Great that the UK spec cars have a space saver as I'm always a bit apprehensive about the compressor kits.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Some of the press GTI’s and launch display GTI models had the upgraded Beats Audio system. With the upgraded Beats Audio system, the sub sits to the left of the spare wheel well and the car’s tool kit is moved to the spare wheel well where the space saver spare would be.

In a UK spec GTI / GTI+, the car’s tool kit sits to the left of the spare wheel well, and the spare wheel is located on top of the battery, in the spare wheel well.

If the Beats Audio system is ever offered as an option on other non-Beats Polo models, then you’ll almost certainly loose the spare wheel and get the tyre mobility kit with compressor.

Bear in mind that irrespective of the spare wheel implications in a GTI with Beats Audio option (if it’s ever offered in the UK), you loose the lower boot floor position in the GTI / GTI+ that you get with other Polos, because the tool kit uses the space between the lower and upper boot floor positions.

Edit; picture of the under floor layout of a non-UK spec GTI showing the Beats Audio sub, tool kit and no spare.
Attachments
637FEB69-A21A-4C00-86B9-32057F1F9438.jpeg
Last edited by SRGTD on Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

When I purchased, well ordered my Polo, the SEL in the showroom had a normal spare tyre in the boot, and when I mentioned this to the sales guy, he said "the SEL's all come with a proper tyre". So has this put the cat amongst the pidgin's?
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

The actual '5th wheel' one is supplied with needs clearing up to be sure. But any spare wheel is worth it's weight in gold if you find yourself as I did once in the middle of nowhere, 25 miles from civilisation, no mobile fone signal and you get a puncture. You fix it but then get another :shock: . So you drive 20 MPH for 8 miles on a flat, now changed to the rear, until you get a signal, then give praise and thanks to the RAC who arrive within the hour from the first puncture :P. Then you explain to the car rental company why you destroyed 2 tyres, repeating early part of tale ending with "because they both went down" :roll: . I don't work for the RAC but highly reccomend them.

But I've heard horror stories of the electric tyre inflators & repair cans supplied with cars not working, and I'm told both AA & RAC patrols carry universal spare wheels for the same reason. So, yeah huge fan of spare wheels, I'd even buy an official spare wheel / jack kit (circa £120ish) for peace of mind....
Last edited by stevereeves on Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

silverhairs wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:47 am When I purchased, well ordered my Polo, the SEL in the showroom had a normal spare tyre in the boot, and when I mentioned this to the sales guy, he said "the SEL's all come with a proper tyre". So has this put the cat amongst the pidgin's?
So another ‘anomaly’ in VW’s product literature then 😧; page 8 in the current price list brochure clearly states ‘steel space saver spare wheel’ under the ‘wheels and suspension’ section of the standard spec for the SEL. Link to latest price list below;

http://origin.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/c ... celist.pdf
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Dan34 »

stevereeves wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:08 pm The actual '5th wheel' one is supplied with needs clearing up to be sure. But any spare wheel is worth it's weight in gold if you find yourself as I did once in the middle of nowhere, 25 miles from civilisation, no mobile fone signal and you get a puncture. You fix it but then get another :shock: . So you drive 20 MPH for 8 miles on a flat, now changed to the rear, until you get a signal, then give praise and thanks to the RAC who arrive within the hour from the first puncture :P. Then you explain to the car rental company why you destroyed 2 tyres, repeating early part of tale ending with "because they both went down" :roll: . I don't work for the RAC but highly reccomend them.

But I've heard horror stories of the electric tyre inflators & repair cans supplied with cars not working, and I'm told both AA & RAC patrols carry universal spare wheels for the same reason. So, yeah huge fan of spare wheels, I'd even buy an official spare wheel / jack kit (circa £120ish) for peace of mind....

Or if you shred a tyre completely, no repair can will fix that! Spare wheel ftw.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Still showing headlamp washers as part of the winter pack, which is not true.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Dan34 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:11 pm Or if you shred a tyre completely, no repair can will fix that! Spare wheel ftw.
Totally agree. Many of the volume car manufacturers don’t include a spare wheel as part of standard spec these days. VW still do for the majority of their models.

Hats off to VW for doing this! 👍
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Going back to my post about full sized spare in a SEL.
When I looked at the spare tyre in the boot of the showroom's SEL, it had a normal spare tyre, not a space saver, I have a space saver in my Note so I do know what a space saver looks like.
As for the can of gunk and a compressor to blow your tyre up, I've always said "that if your driving in the 3rd lane of the motorway doing the legal speed limit and you get a puncture, by the time you get to the hard shoulder, if there is one, there's no way in this world is a can of gunk going to inflate your tyre, not even 20 cans will get you to the nearest puncture repair outlet, or off the motorway :roll:
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

MY SEL deffo has a full size spare, I have to say I took it out yesterday and its FULL SIZE steel, oddly though it has a different make tyre then then rest. To my disappointment the four main tyres are FALKENS ZIEX, don`t know why I am disappointed, I think I was just expecting a more premium brand.

The one in the boot is a FALKEN but its a SINSERA don't know why.