GTI plus spare wheel

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
loadswine
New
Drives: Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Re: GTI plus spare wheel

Post by loadswine »

SRGTD wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:30 am
loadswine wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:10 am Interesting, as this wasn’t on the options listwhen I ordered mine. Was yours ordered Joe, or was it just a pleasant surprise?
It’s not listed as an option as it’s part of the standard spec for the Polo, other than the Beats model which gets a tyre mobility kit, including compressor.

According to the price list, the spare is a full size one on the S and SE models and a space saver on the R-Line, SEL, GTI and GTI+.
Excellent!
I guessI am used to the Skoda spec lists, where most models get the compressor and can of gunk as default and a spacesaver has to be added as a cost option, if you require one.
Thanks for that. :wink:
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

mike sel wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:16 am MY SEL deffo has a full size spare, I have to say I took it out yesterday and its FULL SIZE steel, oddly though it has a different make tyre then then rest.

The one in the boot is a FALKEN but its a SINSERA don't know why.
Quite often when the spare is a full size wheel rather than a space saver, it’s a slightly smaller wheel (with a higher profile tyre to achieve the same overall rolling radius as the four road wheels) compared to the four wheels that are fitted to the car.

On tyrereviews.co.uk website, the Falken Sincera tyre is available in sizes 12”-15” diameter. The Falken Ziex tyre is available in 14”-18” sizes. The Polo SEL has 16” wheels as standard, with the option to upgrade to 17”, so if VW use a slightly smaller (15”?) diameter steel wheel/higher profile tyre for the spare, this will represent be a cost saving to them compared to a 16”/17” wheel and low profile tyre. Not a huge cost saving per car, but a significant saving overall across all Polo SEL’s built.

Links to available tyre sizes for Falken Sincera and Ziex tyres on the Tyre Reviews website below;

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falke ... htm/price/

mike sel wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:16 am To my disappointment the four main tyres are FALKENS ZIEX, don`t know why I am disappointed, I think I was just expecting a more premium brand.
Interestingly, Falken Ziex (CT50, ZE310, ZE914 and ZE914A) are described on Tyre Reviews as a premium tyre, so VW would no doubt say the tyres fitted to your car are a premium brand product.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

SRGTD wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:36 am
mike sel wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:16 am MY SEL deffo has a full size spare, I have to say I took it out yesterday and its FULL SIZE steel, oddly though it has a different make tyre then then rest.

The one in the boot is a FALKEN but its a SINSERA don't know why.
Quite often when the spare is a full size wheel rather than a space saver, it’s a slightly smaller wheel (with a higher profile tyre to achieve the same overall rolling radius as the four road wheels) compared to the four wheels that are fitted to the car.

On tyrereviews.co.uk website, the Falken Sincera tyre is available in sizes 12”-15” diameter. The Falken Ziex tyre is available in 14”-18” sizes. The Polo SEL has 16” wheels as standard, with the option to upgrade to 17”, so if VW use a slightly smaller (15”?) diameter steel wheel/higher profile tyre for the spare, this will represent be a cost saving to them compared to a 16”/17” wheel and low profile tyre. Not a huge cost saving per car, but a significant saving overall across all Polo SEL’s built.

Links to available tyre sizes for Falken Sincera and Ziex tyres on the Tyre Reviews website below;

mike sel wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:16 am To my disappointment the four main tyres are FALKENS ZIEX, don`t know why I am disappointed, I think I was just expecting a more premium brand.
Interestingly, Falken Ziex (CT50, ZE310, ZE914 and ZE914A) are described on Tyre Reviews as a premium tyre, so VW would no doubt say the tyres fitted to your car are a premium brand product.
That's a lot of tyre info from that small amount of info I gave....brilliant. Yes I don't know why I feel uneasy about the Falkens on the main wheels yes mine are 16". maybe I should just give them a chance. Thanks for the info. As usual your a mine of solid info.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

mike sel wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:02 am That's a lot of tyre info from that small amount of info I gave....brilliant. Yes I don't know why I feel uneasy about the Falkens on the main wheels yes mine are 16". maybe I should just give them a chance. Thanks for the info. As usual your a mine of solid info.
No problem, I was curious to try and figure out the reason for different spare tyre. 🙂