After Market stereo for Blue GT?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
leew1988
New
Drives: None just yet

After Market stereo for Blue GT?

Post by leew1988 »

Hi all

Picking up a 17 plate Blue GT this week, it doesnt come with a sat nav though so I would be interested in buying a new touch screen stereo that has a sat nav.

Can anyone recommend any that fit? I cant seem to find any due to the unusual shape of the dash in the BGT

Im actually taking this out of my old golf, dont suppose this would fit in the BGT? I dont think it would - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eonon-GA7153A- ... B07335T1QM

Also any one know of any step by step videos on how to remove from BGT?

I have had an attempt of googling but cannot find anything on the BGT

Many thanks
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Re: After Market stereo for Blue GT?

Post by Willni »

All Volkswagen radios are the same size and are all interchangeable only thing you have to look out for is generations E.g RCD300 RCD 310 (Polo 6R), RCD 330 (Polo 6C). So you can use your old one from your golf, otherwise the Pioneer SPH-DA120 would by my choice for aftermarket or RNS315 for OEM.

To remove you use a thin trim tool where the radio trim to the left and right of the radio meets the dashboard, then pull the surround out then it's just 4 t20/25 screws, and the quadlock.
PhilEvelyn
New
Drives: 2016 Polo 1.2 TSI

Post by PhilEvelyn »

If it's that new, it's probably a Composition Media unit. Does it have a CD Player in the glove box? If so, you're a bit stuffed.

If you're dash looks like this, you're also going to need a new trim from eBay or a reclamation yard.Image

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

If your Polo Blue GT has got Car Net App Connect, you won’t need to upgrade your infotainment system to one with sat nav, as you’ll be apple to use on of the smart phone sat nav apps via app connect.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/ ... pp-connect

Car Net App Connect was optional, so if it wasn’t specified by the first owner of the car, you might not have it. It might be possible to have it retro-fitted, but not all Composition Media infotainment units are compatible with Car Net App Connect.
leew1988
New

Post by leew1988 »

The above image is the same as what mine has, not sure if it has app connect. So I need to be hoping that it does
leew1988
New

Post by leew1988 »

According to the cars info, it does state "Car-Net App-Connect", so hopefully it does have it! Also my phone is an Android Samsung S6 Edge. Am I gonna be OK for sat nav then?
leew1988
New

Post by leew1988 »

exact image of it is

PhilEvelyn
New
Drives: 2016 Polo 1.2 TSI

Post by PhilEvelyn »

As I don't see an eject button, is there a CD player in the glove box?

Some Composition Media units have their brains I the glove box and what you are looking at may just be a display.

veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

leew1988,

You don't have to completely replace the infotainment unit. That unit is, in any event, only a display, basically; the guts of the system is in the back of the glovebox.

I think some of the respondants on this thread might not be fully up to date on what can and can't be done with the infotainment system right at this time, as VW made some policy changes concerning this just a year or two ago, affecting the Composition Media (CM) unit in particular. There's mention of this change in a video produced by advancedin-car.co.uk on You Tube. Whilst I think you can still have the infotainment software upgraded (App Connect) by VW to enable you to use a portable satnav arrangement via an iPhone and ApplePlay, there's now no longer an option from VW to upgrade the whole of the infotainment unit as once before (so as to give you built-in satnav). However, in this regard Kenwood/Garmin have now introduced a new hardware solution for VW, where you keep the existing CM unit in place and you add an additional hardware interface and satnav module, which you install out of sight either behind the CM display or under the glovebox. It's called the Navigation Upgrade GVN-MIB1 and has VW part no. ZGB 5G0 051 259. Beside from VW dealerships, you can buy it from other retailers, including for example advanced in-car technologies. It's a solution that integrates with the existing CM unit. All existing bits stay; you just add the upgrade hardware; there's no software updating or re-coding to do. So, you retain the radio, existing media and the existing stereo system; the satnav's audio is played automatically through the existing CM unit and the satnav's graphical directions are displayed on the existing CM display. Although it's a solution that's a permanent install and so is hidden away and not on show (so not a temptation for car thieves), it's quite expensive, around £600. It's not difficult to fit it yourself; the YouTube videos show you how.

I suggest you search out and watch the advancedin-car videos to get a further idea on your various options. You might, in the end, decide that the portable solution, using ApplePlay, is better for you, but if you prefer to have something that's permanently installed and uses the existing CM display and car's audio, then the Kenwood/Garmin bit of kit could be of interest.
leew1988
New

Post by leew1988 »

Yes cd player and sd card slot is in the glove box, I will wait and see what mine lets me do first, hopefully I can use this app connect thing and get sat nav on it from phone, if not im not bothered enough to pay £600 I hardly use it anyway, just one of them novelty things that are nice to have for if I did need it... :)
leew1988
New

Post by leew1988 »

Is this the video ?
leew1988
New

Post by leew1988 »

SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

leew1988 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:57 pm According to the cars info, it does state "Car-Net App-Connect", so hopefully it does have it! Also my phone is an Android Samsung S6 Edge. Am I gonna be OK for sat nav then?
You can check to see if your phone is compatible with Car Net App Connect at the link below;

http://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfot ... ec673363b2

If it is, and you have a sat nav app such as Google Maps or Waze on your android phone, then I think you should be able to view the maps on your infotainment screen. I say ‘think you should be able to’ as I don’t have App Connect in my car and I’m an iPhone, not an android phone user!
leew1988
New

Post by leew1988 »

Got it, it works, only downside is it only works with a USB cable.... that kind of sucks!
Bammers01
New
Drives: BlueGT

Post by Bammers01 »

The “drinks holders” are excellent for stashing your phone, or the little shelf behind them. Plug in and away you go, also charges via the usb. I think it’s a far better solution than the crazy money vw wanted for the satnav option. The whole functionality is great. And if you don’t want to use the satnav or plug in you still have the Bluetooth for calls, texts etc anyway