Auto Dim Mirror

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
FAYBAE
Getting There!
Drives: 6C POLO GT DSG

Auto Dim Mirror

Post by FAYBAE »

Has anyone got any good places where to buy a Auto dim mirror for a polo 6C, also will I need anything else for it to be effective?

I would try VW but I’m guessing prices would be through the roof as always.

:)

Cheers
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Auto Dim Mirror

Post by RUM4MO »

I think that, certainly in the past, only one company made these items, and that Johnsons in USA, I know this from checking VW forums when my 2000 Passat's mirror started to leak - all claims for replacements were handled directly in America by Johnsons. I just ordered one in from my local VW dealer and made sure it had the on/off switch which my car's original one did not.

Now, retro fitting one of these, well it would need the wiring added and the mounting added, I've forgotten if it gets mounted directly onto the windscreen glass, if so, you would need a new windscreen!

Buying one that looks exactly like what is fitted to Polos etc would mean buying from VW dealer's parts department.

They are quite handy, in my mind even handier if in certain conditions like night time town driving, it becomes safer to switch it off, I think that the 6C Polo's on/off switch is found in the infotainment system, if that is true then that is not very handy - and would add to your troubles when retro fitting.

Maybe check for aftermarket one, there did used to be one available though maybe with more cars being fitted with these at factory, that item has been withdrawn from sale.
FAYBAE
Getting There!

Post by FAYBAE »

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3109244588

She’s already got rain sensor wipers and auto headlights so she must have some wiring already for those to be active?

Cheers
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

The dimming mirror will require some additional wiring

Normally if you have rain sensor, itll have the dimming mirror as its on the same loom

https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/volks ... vw-polo-6r is the loom that has the extra wiring in. Alternatively, you can make it up. Ciclo can probably help you out :)

The above is a 6R loom though, it should be the same on a 6C
FAYBAE
Getting There!

Post by FAYBAE »

Thankyou for your help :)
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Oh well, that project seems to be coming along nicely, get buying!

Edit:- I think the need for coding is due to this function gets switched off when reverse gear is selected. Plus the MMI needs to know that function exists so that it appears on the menu.
FAYBAE
Getting There!

Post by FAYBAE »

Turns out she already has one.....😂

Drove it in the dark for the first time last night....🙊
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Ha Ha! I fitted a proper leather gear stick gaiter to my wife's previous 2002 Polo SE to replace the horrible hard leatherette one that it came from the factory with, only to discover the "leatherette" was just real leather, but quite hard, ah well the soft leather one I replaced it with looked and felt a lot better!