New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
allye
Getting There!
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by allye »

I'm confused (and it doesn't take much at my age!) but am I right with the following:
1. The factory was closed for an extraordinary 2 months supposedly to prepare for the 2019 changes if any.
2. The factory is back working.
3. They can't build, sell or provide build dates until WLTP is sorted.
4. Then what is the factory doing. Why come back to work. Are the workers just going round like "The Walking Dead"

Am I missing something here please enlighten.
BaraBen
New
Drives: Deep Black GTI+

Post by BaraBen »

I think the folk who are getting compensation for lack of headlamp washers/heated jets are getting a great deal as the car we traded in for the polo had lamp washers and was forever out of washer fluid, and always had filthy lights too! Completely useless. The only thing I’d really like but haven’t got is heated seats.
Not knocking anyone, I think it’s great your getting refunded and keeping the best part!
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

My invoice for 20% is in the post! :D
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

johnpolo2 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:43 pm On the return to pick up my car, the service assistant got the keys to the new GTI so that I could sit in it and start it up.
I noticed how the seats hug the driver more than the outgoing model. I always enjoy exhaust pops with my current DSG model but the exhaust note in the new one is a step above for sure. All in all very nice. (Apart from the bonnet lip....I just don't see any beauty in it)

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
What do you do to get the exhaust pops, I want to be a teenager again!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

allye wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:07 pm I'm confused (and it doesn't take much at my age!) but am I right with the following:
1. The factory was closed for an extraordinary 2 months supposedly to prepare for the 2019 changes if any.
As far as forum members are aware, yes, the factory was closed for around 2 months. Reasons for closure aren’t really known. There aren’t any 2019 spec changes as far as I’m aware, other than any that might be necessary, due to WLTP, such as fitting GPF’s (gasoline particulate filters).
Factory was scheduled to re-open early August; whether or not this has happened, who knows?
Any new, unregistered cars in the UK that are not WLTP compliant have to be registered by 15th August, so any cars arriving into the UK after that date and built after production recommenced/recommences would need to be WLTP compliant.
4. Then what is the factory doing. Why come back to work. Are the workers just going round like "The Walking Dead"
Your guess is as good as mine, or anyone else’s for that matter.
No, I don’t think you are missing anything. The whole situation seems somewhat bizarre, although it’s not just VW that are impacted by WLTP. Some other manufacturers have stopped producing certain engines either permanently or temporarily, which will affect availability of their vehicles.
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Post by Robint »

Sports mode let the revs drop after rev and it pops realty nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

allye wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:07 pm I'm confused (and it doesn't take much at my age!) but am I right with the following:

I think some of what you are asking is unknown, though the factory in SA should be working by now .
Nobody really knows if the WLTP test on the Polo Gti has been done( probably not even VW from my experience) but if it has not they cannot sell them after Sept 1st. The Wolfsburg factory was put on short time and the trade unions there are furious.
There is a backlog of orders for the Polo Gti, my dealer ordered the demo model just after I ordered mine in February and has not yet got a firm build date. Could be 2019 before he gets it.
Off the record he said the impression he got was that VW were making it up as they go along.
I love the Gti we have got . Sorry ,it was just chance that we ordered at the right time.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Robint wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:06 pm Sports mode let the revs drop after rev and it pops realty nice

Thanks for that I want to annoy my son in law when he brings his Volvo diesel here
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Post by Robint »

Ha ha do it

MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

barrywi wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:01 pm My invoice for 20% is in the post! :D
:D :D
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

BaraBen wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:12 pm I think the folk who are getting compensation for lack of headlamp washers/heated jets are getting a great deal as the car we traded in for the polo had lamp washers and was forever out of washer fluid, and always had filthy lights too! Completely useless. The only thing I’d really like but haven’t got is heated seats.
Not knocking anyone, I think it’s great your getting refunded and keeping the best part!
TBH, I probably was the first to go to my dealer and ask for compensation because of the miss advertising of the winter pack. I only wanted the heated seats and the heated washer jets. I still have no confirmation that the heated washer jets are not there in fact I have been told by my VW guy that they are there. Personally I very much doubt it. If anyone on here has proof the jets are not there then please post it.

I have had £180 refund or thereabouts just for no headlight washers. IF as I suspect there are no heated jets then I feel I should get something else, Im thinking voice control code for free.

I don't mind paying for the heated seats I think ive seen them in the configurator somewhere just heated seats for about £125. so I suppose I have been fairly treated.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

My dealer said that there are two items missing from the original four of the winter pack in the original on line brochure on our car, the headlamp washers and the heated jets. They are no longer listed in the current brochure. VW originally offered the dealer a discount for the missing two items which would have meant a cost to me of about £60 plus vat for the seats and washer bottle indicator. My dealer friend pushed back at VW as he had known me for 30 years and I was a regular customer ,so VW gave us a full refund of the winter pack cost. I had paid for the car including the cost of the winter pack in full and a week after buying it the dealer rang me to say that VW had given them the full cost of the winter pack back. I got a cheque for £285 from the garage.
A week later I got a refund on the car tax for our VW UP of £15 so that made me delirious with joy. :D
So no headlamp washers and heated jets on the Polo Gti ......I would have liked the heated jets, but will not miss the headlamp washers.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

If VW are sure that new Polo output will comply with WLTP, then they'll be able to build them. They won't be able to sell them until the relevant authorities test them and confirm compliance, but they will be able to build on the risk of them not passing. It's Quality Assurance vs Quality Control. As I understood it, VW left it late to book their slots with the relevant authorities for official testing, but no doubt they have their own testing systems that will emulate WLTP compliance, to know that what they've developed will be WLTP compliant when tested.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Call me cynical but this is the same VW that could not even tell me which ship my car would be on from South Africa!
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Dan34 »

Anyone noticed the small white illuminated strip under the dash pads on the dash? Quite subtle but looks good at night! Nice touch by VW.