Giving up on ordering a Polo going for an Ibiza

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
DuncanM
New
Drives: Toyota C-HR to Polo SEL 115

Giving up on ordering a Polo going for an Ibiza

Post by DuncanM »

I have decided I am not prepared to wait at least 10 months for a 115 SEL so am now looking at a Seat Ibiza Excellence Lux this is a new spec 2019 model that has a 12 week lead time. I checked the Seat website yesterday and the whole Ibiza range has had a spec change and there are no longer multiple options for each Trim level. Even different colours are included free of charge with no premium for a metallic. The Elegance Lux is excellent value and like an SEL with all options ticked, and with car wow discount is about £4000 off list price ! The only things not on an Ibiza that I wanted are BLIS, RCTA and Heated seats :cry:
Last edited by DuncanM on Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david.stark
Bronze Member
Drives: SE

Re: Giving up on ordering a Polo going for an Ibiza

Post by david.stark »

I can totally understand that and I like the look of the Ibiza. I was lucky because I only wanted SE spec and the dealer had it in stock.

I watched the full video review from Carwow of the Ibiza and the Ibiza is better value for money whilst still being the same car underneath.

They were saying that the only shortcomings vs the Polo are poorer residuals (which can effect finance prices), lower quality interior and no badge prestige.
TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

Post by TElwoody »

I found the ibiza to be relatively firm and bumpy but handled like a respectably sporty car even on 15" wheels (I had an SE last December) The only thing i found was, it wasn't specially quiet and the interior plastics were horrifically cheap, brittle and just awful. For example, you know the gear leaver gaiter is usually leather, it felt like plastic. Whether that's worth the price difference between the Polo and Ibiza is to discuss but I'd give my two cents with a no.

Full agree with the looks wise part, the seat is just sexy, mine was Metallic Blue, with tinted windows, the chrome stip below the side windows and LED lights, such a looker. Also the way shorter wait times are a massive plus.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I can't see how SEAT can be achieving shorter lead times than VW for this sector of car, okay the Polo facility was closed for a period, but the SEAT Ibiza facility will also be closed for similar reasons, the engine testing task will be of a similar "size" for both which I think is why SEAT are currently limiting engine/trim options until this task has been completed.

Polo or Ibiza, I'd think that these cars are deliberately aimed, most of the time/models at two completely different types of owners, yes noise insulation is not as good as Polo, interior trim was horrible maybe 15 years ago, but the gap between Polo and Ibiza has closed or maybe they are equals in that respect with the Polo quality of plastics dropping and the Ibiza's plastics quality rising. Suspension firmer - yes, it is a SEAT, just like an Audi has former suspension than a bigger VW. Looks/style, yes Ibiza has that, Polo's restrained looks at time annoy me and I'm an old duffer, there is restrained and there is bland - and there is also limited colour palate, which for me has always restricted the colour chosen, things are getting slightly better though now at last on some models.
TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

Post by TElwoody »

Just want to point out that the Ibiza's plastics have dropped the same as the polos, but having less room to go down means it feel awful. Not nocking the car too much because it was a great car, just the interior was a massive let down in quality. Also SEAT manufacturers their cars in the martorell plant in spain, takes about 1-2 weeks to arrive vs the 6-8 weeks for south Africa (the Polo).
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Yes I have a 2 month old SEL.. Juddery wipers otherwise nothing wrong to report yet.

My son is looking for a car and we have been looking at VW, Audi, Skoda & Seat.

My son has been reading all the reviews and looking in on all the forums. He is looking at an Audi A3, VW Golf, Skoda Octavia, Seat Leon. Now according to each dealer they put the ranking in terms of price as follows:- dearest first. Audi, VW, Seat, Skoda. Driving quality Vs price in our opinion having driven all this weekend. VW golf, Audi A3 (just from golf) Skoda, Seat. Main differences, Sound insulation is poorer in the Skoda and Seat, plastics worse in the seat just feels a cheep place to be and we were not sure that the interior would stand up to young children but the road roar would drown out their noise. Audi was a harder ride than VW the interior quality was hardly any different, road noise no difference.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

TElwoody wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:51 am Just want to point out that the Ibiza's plastics have dropped the same as the polos, but having less room to go down means it feel awful. Not nocking the car too much because it was a great car, just the interior was a massive let down in quality. Also SEAT manufacturers their cars in the martorell plant in spain, takes about 1-2 weeks to arrive vs the 6-8 weeks for south Africa (the Polo).
I don't think that anyone is suggesting/thinking that the difference to get a car from SA as opposed to from Spain is what is the issue, it is the difference in time it takes a Polo ordered at factory to appear as opposed to the time it seems to take right now to get a factory ordered Ibiza, we all do or should know that all RHD Polos are now being built in SA now were as in the past all RHD Polos (9N>) were built in Spain, then (6R>)only 3 door Polos of certain trim levels were built in Spain the remainder being built in SA.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

mike sel wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:55 am Yes I have a 2 month old SEL.. Juddery wipers otherwise nothing wrong to report yet.

My son is looking for a car and we have been looking at VW, Audi, Skoda & Seat.

My son has been reading all the reviews and looking in on all the forums. He is looking at an Audi A3, VW Golf, Skoda Octavia, Seat Leon. Now according to each dealer they put the ranking in terms of price as follows:- dearest first. Audi, VW, Seat, Skoda. Driving quality Vs price in our opinion having driven all this weekend. VW golf, Audi A3 (just from golf) Skoda, Seat. Main differences, Sound insulation is poorer in the Skoda and Seat, plastics worse in the seat just feels a cheep place to be and we were not sure that the interior would stand up to young children but the road roar would drown out their noise. Audi was a harder ride than VW the interior quality was hardly any different, road noise no difference.
For what it is worth, if buying a car of that type from VW Group, for age of owner and young family use, I'd think that the Golf is the right one to buy. One thing that I've always been very aware of with most "multi quality range" cars, is, work out the exact spec you must have, then price each version in that spec, normally if you demand a very high spec car, the Audi will be the cheapest and the Skoda the dearest, it is just the work things work out, you get reeled in and see that you are buying a bargain, then get squeezed into spending a bit more and a bit more. I spec'd an Ibiza FR against a Polo SEL, okay each one came with bits I did not really want/need, but when I spec'd them up to include everything that I thought my wife would want, the Polo SEL was slightly cheaper option, which was what I really wanted to buy as I had said to my wife that Ibiza is for the slightly younger woman!!(or man)

My older daughter,still single and so without any children, has had her late 2009 Ibiza from new and it is not showing any signs of wear and tear due to inferior quality plastics inside, she carries a mountain bike in it and a friends kids frequently.

Previous versions of Ibiza had shameful interior trim quality, the plastics, when brand new matched the look and feel of the same age Polo, but most of the plastics were black sprayed with a thin coat of "trim colour" plastic - touch it and it turned to black, absolutely shocking.

I thought/assumed that Leon would be a bit better, it is one very good looking car, friends of my wife have had Leons for many years normaly 2 at a time, but they do not have kids or dogs, just golf bags!
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

TElwoody wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:31 pm I found the ibiza to be relatively firm and bumpy but handled like a respectably sporty car even on 15" wheels (I had an SE last December) The only thing i found was, it wasn't specially quiet and the interior plastics were horrifically cheap, brittle and just awful.
VW also seem to be reducing the (perceived) quality of interior trim on recent models. The T-Roc interior plastics are all hard and scratchy, including the upper facia panels. I’ve read that the soon to be launch Polo-based T-Cross mini SUV also has hard scratchy interior plastics (no soft touch dashboard like the Polo). So maybe this is a sign of things to come with other new model launches and relaunches of existing models. Hard plastic interior for the mk8 Golf next year maybe?
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

O dear. I will be keeping my Polo for some time then.

I know they are just cars and all that but I do 20k+ miles a year and 14k of those will be in my polo. If you work it out and look at your average speed and it will be about 30 miles per hour. To do 14,000 miles I will be sitting in the Polo for 467 hours per year, It needs to be a nice place to sit. I have to say the Polo sel (highline)with Digital dash is a great place to sit. Seats are comfy, driving position is easy to find, info system easy to use, digi dash is great for info and sat nav location, DSG for the most part easy. In fact I would call the current Polo a very relaxing place to be. At night the thing lights up like a Christmas tree, I can see me dimming that down in the winter months. The climate control is good, I set mine at 20 degrees and it seems to maintain that well, the aircon is good and in that hot weather we just had I was able to blast some very cold air into the car. on 16" wheels it is comfortable and quiet inside, it rides over bumps really well, it got a bit unsettled the other day on a very bumpy country road that was extremely tree root infested tarmac, but as soon as we got onto normal UK standard roads it was fine again.

The 1L 116hp engine coupled with the DSG keeps up with traffic in eco mode, I put it in sport mode to pull away fast to hit that gap in traffic and it is quick (yes GTI owners not as quick as your 200hp 2l cars but then I can get 64mpg (eco mode in the summer on the motorway at 56mph with aircon off) you cant you will be lucky to get 50mpg , plus I can get a reasonable turn of pace when I need it. ACC work very well with the dsg..love it. Blind spot warning was a good addition, just waiting to try out the heated seats. o and park assist is a bit of fun, it works well and will get you into a fairly tight spot.

A bit of wiper judder, auto stop start annoying with DSG. other than that IMHO the POLO is a brilliant car ( cant even call it little any more).

My ideal engine will probably be the 1.5 evo in this car, but alas its still not available in the uk. I would have ordered that engine with a 6 speed manual. Costs would probably have been about the same as my 1l DSG.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

The thing is although VW are fitting scratchy plastic on the upper dash panels, (T Rock) how many times do you really touch it during the week? I can understand about the plastic door capping's, you may touch them every day, that does make the car feel cheap, but the upper dash panels?