GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by barrywi »

Two questions.
Was it easy to apply?
Could it be used on the carpet mats?
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

It is very easy, just spray on and leave to dry overnight. Wipe up overspray that has gone on plastic trim with something like a babywipe or dampened kitchen roll so it doesn't mark the plastic - these solutions always smell as though they have a high acetone content, and acetone melts/etches a lot of plastics. Don't panic about overspray as long as it is cleaned up within a few mins it will be fine. Seats and headrests front and back (inc backs of front seats) took 500ml. Should've bought a 1 litre bottle to do the carpets too.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Thanks for the swift reply
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

I commute around 20k miles a year, M4 corridor and the M25, and the motorway commute was a significant part of the brief for my car, and one of the reasons that adaptive cruise control and blind spot monitoring was so appealing.

Today was the first day I used the ACC in earnest and I’m happy to say that it excelled. Fastish stretches it did its job mainitaning the distance between me and the car in front, but where is really impressed was on a section of start stop congestion. In conjunction with the DSG the car ACC works at any speed down to stationary, with the only driver input required to press the brake when stationary, and when the traffic starts moving again the car accelerates once more.

Really impressed with the system which has exceeded my expectations. With this mix of busy traffic and stop start congestion I averaged over 46mpg which I was really happy with too. :)
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

I jave a feeling that you will no doubt be familiar with the A404 RoyWolfey.
I test drove one and had a pop down there with ACC.
Very impressive.
I didn't have to brake until it can to my turn at the from of the roundabout queue.
At that point, the car in front left and I would have followed him had I not have braked but otherwise, it resumes motion from standing as the car in front pulls off.
jylydesign
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+ on order

Post by jylydesign »

So I finally have my polo! Not my first choice colour but the only option I could get or wait the 40 weeks! However IMO it looks OK, especially from the back.

Pretty pleased so far, feels very nippy and nimble. Only done 90 miles and hoping mpg will improve from the maximum 35 I have seen however carefully I try! No idea how you manage to get 46 roywolfey!
Pleasantly surprised at the exhaust note too. Quite rorty, pops nicely on the overrun and loud dsg farts [emoji16]. I would say definitely sounds better than a golf gti my friend has.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

If you are getting pops and farts then you are probably revving it too highly and are not in eco mode where you will get better economy. I know it is a performance car but there are times when you can save a few quid by driving economically and then use those financial savings to "give it some welly" later.
I have seen well over 40 mpg with little effort even on shortish runs.
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Dan34 »

Hit 1000’s miles in my GTI+ now, quite easy to get 45MPG on a run without much effort!

Started using more revs and full throttle now it’s run in a bit and it’s loosening up nicely, fairly quick for a 200bhp car. So far so good!
jylydesign
Getting There!

Post by jylydesign »

barrywi wrote:If you are getting pops and farts then you are probably revving it too highly and are not in eco mode where you will get better economy. I know it is a performance car but there are times when you can save a few quid by driving economically and then use those financial savings to "give it some welly" later.
I have seen well over 40 mpg with little effort even on shortish runs.
Yes I have been trying the eco mode on my 7 mile commute which is half urban, half A road. Using light throttle and the coasting function where possible I struggle to get to 35mpg. When out for a blast in sport mode I'm lucky to see 25!

barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Yes in a seven mile commute the engine is hardly warmed up.
jylydesign
Getting There!

Post by jylydesign »

barrywi wrote:Yes in a seven mile commute the engine is hardly warmed up.
I guess so... Oil temp gets to max after about 5 miles

SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

jylydesign wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:08 pm So I finally have my polo! Not my first choice colour but the only option I could get or wait the 40 weeks! However IMO it looks OK, especially from the back.

Pretty pleased so far, feels very nippy and nimble. Only done 90 miles and hoping mpg will improve from the maximum 35 I have seen however carefully I try! No idea how you manage to get 46 roywolfey!
Pleasantly surprised at the exhaust note too. Quite rorty, pops nicely on the overrun and loud dsg farts [emoji16]. I would say definitely sounds better than a golf gti my friend has.

Looks good jylydesign 😎. Mpg should improve as the mileage increases.

I love a nice clean and shiny black car. It’s a bit of a labour of love keeping it clean and shiny, but it can be very rewarding. Keep away from the £5 car wash places, don’t let the VW dealer wash your car and ensure you use a safe washing technique to keep your paintwork looking good and free of swirls.

Enjoy your car 👍.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

My wife and I have just spent several hours giving our Polo two coats of posh wax and then moving on to our lovely Jagwaaar. Both are in the garage now so I said to her that we need a third car which we will never wash or clean to use every day. Not sure which of the two cars will be used if we need one on a rainy day. At least neither is black like a Peugeot we had a few years ago. That only seemed to stay clean for ten minutes ,especially in winter.
I should really get a life I think!!
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Tried Eco today. Bearing in mind that I normally achieve 36-40mpg on my commute (depending on traffic - usually 40 there, 36 home) by having individual mode with everything in Sport except suspension (normal) and engine sound (Eco - to eliminate the Sondaktor fakery).

I got 40mpg in Eco. At best, I think I achieved a 2mpg/5% saving, given the traffic, perhaps not even that.

Throttle response is like someone stuck a sponge under your accelerator pedal - not much saving to be had if you just press harder to compensate.

Eco makes DSG change up earlier, so no hanging onto a gear for an excessive time. So marginal gains there from being in the highest possible gear for a tiny bit longer per change. Was surprised how low an engine speed was tolerated by engine management.

Coasting - savings to be had there if your commute has plenty of downhill sections - only marginal hills please, otherwise the speed really builds up. If you touch the brake then coasting is disabled until you tickle the throttle again. Found myself creeping up from 40 to 48 on a downhill stretch where there is a Gatso camera at the bottom, so had to rein the coasting in. More savings to be had with Eco in city jiurney than longer runs.

Was it worth it? Not for me, will forgo the Eco savings to avoid the pedal sponge.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

We are retired so do not have a commute to judge the mpg, just supermarket runs or social visits. Also our last day to day car was the VW UP so that had a crate full of sponges under the accelerator ! Obviously compared with that car the Polo gti feels like is is ready to be unleashed even in eco mode. So maybe we are driving it like the UP, hence the economy. After a few more miles we will start giving it more revs to help the running in process so then the mpg figures will worsen. No doubt after the 1000 or so kilometers have been put on the clock I can see what the car is capable of.
As an aside, I just got the Polo out of the dark garage and loved the fine strips of led lights along the dash and doors, very tasty.