Recall - rear seat belt

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Re: Recall - rear seat belt

Post by Robint »

I’ve been told exactly the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

Thanks for the confirmation.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Really not sure if mine is a "fixed" set - the middle seatbelt clasp only overhangs the passenger side one by about an inch. Doesn't seem to match the "which?" news report pic at all, can't see my middle clasp sitting on the other in any situation.
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:50 pm Really not sure if mine is a "fixed" set - the middle seatbelt clasp only overhangs the passenger side one by about an inch. Doesn't seem to match the "which?" news report pic at all, can't see my middle clasp sitting on the other in any situation.
Mine is the same, I was told that it had the temporary fix and that a permanent fix should be available from November.
Aube
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo SEDSG

Post by Aube »

Hi,

So yesterday a letter arrived from VW and inside is a small sticker with instructions that it must be applied to the dash of the car to warn all drives not to use the centre seatbelt. All very well, but the permanent fix still seems to be some time away. Not happy about the situation and I expect owners of cars affected to be equally annoyed that this is taking so long to fix!
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Aube wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:39 am Hi,

So yesterday a letter arrived from VW and inside is a small sticker with instructions that it must be applied to the dash of the car to warn all drives not to use the centre seatbelt. All very well, but the permanent fix still seems to be some time away. Not happy about the situation and I expect owners of cars affected to be equally annoyed that this is taking so long to fix!
What BW was your car and when did you receive it? Haven't had anything for mine (BW23, received 01 Aug).
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

Or mine
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Had mine done 1 week ago. I think they just took the central seat belt out! now a 4 seater. They sold it to me as a 5 seater. Am I being stiffed here :?:
TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

Post by TElwoody »

mike sel wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:52 pm Had mine done 1 week ago. I think they just took the central seat belt out! now a 4 seater. They sold it to me as a 5 seater. Am I being stiffed here :?:
I don't think you are being done over, it all depends on whether they said taa daa, all done or gave you a sticker to put on the dash and said its temporary. My thinking it is temporary but please share further. :)
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

no sticker in the dash. I actually took a look yesterday and they have not taken the belt out. I actually am not sure what they did. They had the car for an hour, they must have done something. but deffo no sticker. I have been told not to use the middle seat. so it is defiantly a 4 seater now not the 5 seater I was sold. TBH since we have had the car (collected 1st June we have only has 5 in it once) for the most part its just me 80% of the time, then a further 15% my wife then every now and then we have 3 or 4 in there.

So for me its not an issue of usage but it is an issue of resale, if I chose to sell the car now its a 4 seater half way through a fix on the centre rear Seatbelt, would y0u buy it? of course not and that's my point I was sold a solid 5 seater which now it is not. :?
TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

Post by TElwoody »

That is true, it's unfortunate to say the least and most annoying. Thankfully as you said its rare to get a full house but your point exactly when it comes to it being bought as a 5 seater.
kmm249
Getting There!
Drives: 2018

Post by kmm249 »

There was no sticker on my courtesy car I’ve been using and was expect to know that it that I couldn’t use the middle seat. What would have happened if I didn’t already own a polo and was not aware!
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

kmm249 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:55 pm There was no sticker on my courtesy car I’ve been using and was expect to know that it that I couldn’t use the middle seat. What would have happened if I didn’t already own a polo and was not aware!
If your Polo courtesy car is very new, I suppose it’s possible that VW are now fitting the revised (correct) version of the middle rear seatbelt fitted at the factory.

You could play devil’s advocate and tell the dealer you need to use the car as a five seater, and ask if it’s safe to do so, bearing in mind the safety recall on the middle rear seatbelt. If they say you can’t, then you could ask why the sticker’s not been attached, and why you weren’t advised it couldn’t be used as a five seater when they provided your courtesy car.
JohnF
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 Polo SE 95

Post by JohnF »

My 95 SE (bought April) is going in for the "temporary" fix on Wednesday. Having followed this thread with interest I'm curious to know exactly what they will do, as I get the impression there are several alternatives?

If all I'm getting is a sticker, why do I have to waste my time taking it to the dealers?!

I would also like to know:

1) Exactly when did VW first identify the issue?
2) When was my dealer informed.

In other words, was it before or after April?

I would like to have all the ammunition at my disposal when I take the car in.
wizzywig27
Getting There!
Drives: GTI

Post by wizzywig27 »

I am going through the rejection process at the moment regarding this. Dealer seems to be on-side, as do VW, it’s just a matter of them talking to each other which is hard to arrange.

Problem being dealer values car at £12500, I owe £17000 on finance, dealer wants the difference back (and rightly so).