18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Re: 18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Post by mike sel »

no rain here yet! as soon as it does ill report on the wipers.

At the dealer they had about 10 different colour Polos in all unreg and all SE65 (one SE75) so I don't know if that is the only class engine to pass the new tests?
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

mike sel wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:13 pm Ok just got back from the dealer, and they swapped my wiper blades all 3. and used a vinegar mix to clean the wind shield. they also gave me a 1l of the correct oil for the 116hp 3 pot petrol so that was handy I can ensure I buy the same spec in future. 5-30 fully synthetic.

Its supposed to rain tomorrow in this part of the world so I will see if the new wipers work.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

What range are you getting from your full tank of fuel? I have talked about MPG as have several others, but I suppose just as important is how often you have to visit the fuel station. No its fully fun in I am getting 415 miles from a tank on an about town mix of driving, I have yet to see what I get from a full tank of motorway driving.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

mike sel wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:30 pm What range are you getting from your full tank of fuel? I have talked about MPG as have several others, but I suppose just as important is how often you have to visit the fuel station. No its fully fun in I am getting 415 miles from a tank on an about town mix of driving, I have yet to see what I get from a full tank of motorway driving.
My R-Line 115 has now done 1600 miles and I have 37.6mpg on my Fuelly account, keep in mind I live on a small island and use the car for learner driver tuition so mainly stop/start, I am pretty pleased with that to be honest, I only got 42.4mpg from my A1 diesel over 55k miles :-)
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ length of journey is every bit as important as driving style. We used to have an A1 1.6 TDI. If my wife took it to work (8 miles each way), the dpf used to regularly fill up and you'd be lucky to see 45mpg. If I had it for a week, I used to drive it quite hard on my 20 mile each way commute, but the dpf aas clear and that made the car lively, giving me a 60-63mpg average.

My mpg has dropped off a little since I passed the 620 mile mark for the car to be unrestricted (at about 1200 miles now). I'm driving it a bit harder and the traffic is marginally busier now kids are back to school the weather is cooling too, althougb thaf affects diesels to a much greater degree than petrols. Averaging 34mpg currently, from 38mpg a few weeks ago. Motorway driving on an 86 mile journey to maintain 80mph yielded 43mpg. Hope it still has some loosening up to do as it is only marginally more frugal than my Golf R around the doors.

Seeing about 305 miles per tank.

Might refit the front/back dashcam from the A1 this weekend if I xan get my trim tools found and figure out where all the clips are for pulling A-pillar trims, bootlid trims and access to the fusebox.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:34 pm ^ length of journey is every bit as important as driving style. We used to have an A1 1.6 TDI. If my wife took it to work (8 miles each way), the dpf used to regularly fill up and you'd be lucky to see 45mpg. If I had it for a week, I used to drive it quite hard on my 20 mile each way commute, but the dpf aas clear and that made the car lively, giving me a 60-63mpg average.

My mpg has dropped off a little since I passed the 620 mile mark for the car to be unrestricted (at about 1200 miles now). I'm driving it a bit harder and the traffic is marginally busier now kids are back to school the weather is cooling too, althougb thaf affects diesels to a much greater degree than petrols. Averaging 34mpg currently, from 38mpg a few weeks ago. Motorway driving on an 86 mile journey to maintain 80mph yielded 43mpg. Hope it still has some loosening up to do as it is only marginally more frugal than my Golf R around the doors.

Seeing about 305 miles per tank.

Might refit the front/back dashcam from the A1 this weekend if I xan get my trim tools found and figure out where all the clips are for pulling A-pillar trims, bootlid trims and access to the fusebox.
I just did an annoy the motorway drive in one direction 55miles and according to the computer I got 69.6 mpg I did around 57mph in eco mode and with the aircon off. On the way back I did the usual motorway MPH in std drive mode, aircon still off and I got 48.4. I will have to see what I get from the tank this fill.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

mike sel wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:15 pm
Robint wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:53 pm Mines in again on Tuesday for wiper judder new wipers did not cure it so VW customer service have sent some instructions to the dealer what to do ? I will find out what they have done if it cures it mine are leaping round the window

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hope it works. I have tried most things suggested on here by actual owners somehow mine are cured, even the rear one. so I just don't know what cured it. I was out in very heavy rain a few weeks back and the judder was there before and during but seemed to die down after the wipers went on to full speed (it was raining hard). funny thing is that seemed to cure it. I hope the dealer don't screw it up now. Best of luck with your fix especially with winter coming on. Let us know how it goes.
How did you get on? it rained here this morning and I had Zero judder! yahoo a perfect working polo!
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Well it was cold and damp out (4 degrees and car all misted up on the outside). I had to use the rear window heater , worked like a charm, the heated seat, worked well, and I had to de-mist the inside of the wind screen and that cleared quite quickly. The dash warning flashed up for possible ice, it seems to do this at 4 degrees.

Side mirrors did not seem to clear very quickly so I don't know what temperature they are supposed to be heated at. But the heated seat was lovely. My wife will love this option. With all that switched on the car started well & seemed lively. I am now confident of a safe and warm winters driving. I did only get 42MPG on this 11 mile drive to work where as I can get over 52 without the toys running they are quite a drain.

The only fly in the ointment is the potential (should I say certainty) that the windscreen washers are not heated. I have been told by the dealer that they are heated and the only thing that I did not get on the winter pack option was the headlight washers, I am certain the windscreen jets are not heated, proof will come in a morning drive to work in early February.

My verdict after 3 months driving the Polo sel 116 :?: I would rate it 7/10, it lose a point for the hard plastics inside on the door cards and no air vents in the rear as well as all the hard plastics there too, a point for the hassle with the centre seat belt and the missing heated washer jets and headlight washers. So without the niggly teething troubles it would be an 8/10.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

mike sel wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:11 am Well it was cold and damp out (4 degrees and car all misted up on the outside). I had to use the rear window heater , worked like a charm, the heated seat, worked well, and I had to de-mist the inside of the wind screen and that cleared quite quickly. The dash warning flashed up for possible ice, it seems to do this at 4 degrees.

Side mirrors did not seem to clear very quickly so I don't know what temperature they are supposed to be heated at. But the heated seat was lovely. My wife will love this option. With all that switched on the car started well & seemed lively. I am now confident of a safe and warm winters driving. I did only get 42MPG on this 11 mile drive to work where as I can get over 52 without the toys running they are quite a drain.

The only fly in the ointment is the potential (should I say certainty) that the windscreen washers are not heated. I have been told by the dealer that they are heated and the only thing that I did not get on the winter pack option was the headlight washers, I am certain the windscreen jets are not heated, proof will come in a morning drive to work in early February.

My verdict after 3 months driving the Polo sel 116 :?: I would rate it 7/10, it lose a point for the hard plastics inside on the door cards and no air vents in the rear as well as all the hard plastics there too, a point for the hassle with the centre seat belt and the missing heated washer jets and headlight washers. So without the niggly teething troubles it would be an 8/10.
Mike, glad you’re still enjoying life with your Polo.

The heated mirrors don’t activate automatically; you need to rotate the mirror adjustment knob on the driver’s door to the mirror heating position - stupid design IMO, and would be much better if the activated automatically when you switch on the rear screen demister and the outside temperature is below a certain temperature.

If you have your washer fluid at an appropriate concentration for winter use, you shouldn’t need heated washers. If you had heated washers and your washer fluid concentration is too weak, heated washers won’t stop the fluid freezing in the pipe work beteeen the washers and the fluid reservoir. The washer jets on the Polo are shielded from much of the cold air movement in winter as they’re positioned below the rear edge of the bonnet, rather than being surface mounted. So, with winter strength washer fluid, you should be fine.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

If you have a look under the bonnet area and find where the washer hoses get routed to the bonnet, if the washers on the current Polo are bonnet mounted, then you should see either tubes wrapped in protective tape or tubes plus wires wrapped in protective tape.

As said, if you keep the washer fluid at the correct concentration the washers should not normally freeze unless conditions get really serious, I did not have heated washers on my Passat and it never froze up while I parked it at work or when away from home.

Edit:- 4C early morning in the deep South during early September, ouch, I thought that I had made a bad move back in early September 1969 when I moved from the West coast of Scotland to the East coast of Scotland for uni - maybe that was also after a good summer!

Another Edit:- rear air vents, I believe that retro fitting them is possible, some one has done that to a 6R/6C Polo but it gets a bit costly even if you do the work yourself.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Going back to the wing mirrors post, VW have about 20 or more tutorials on certain aspects of the Polo and other models on you-tube, wing mirrors is one of them and if you have dipping mirrors it shows you how to set them up for reversing so they swivel down automatically so you can see the curb and how when you set the drivers mirror the nearside adjusts to suit, they go through on how to find these with the Polo set-up.
These tutorials also cover the auto park, the radio, the wipers, the adaptive cruise control and many other things.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

RUM4MO wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:58 am
Another Edit:- rear air vents, I believe that retro fitting them is possible, some one has done that to a 6R/6C Polo but it gets a bit costly even if you do the work yourself.
Is there a vented variant of the armrest on any of the MQB A0 variant cars at the moment? Seat Arona/Audi Q2 perhaps?

I've done it before retrofitting a Golf MK6 center console and rear vented armrest into a Scirocco (the Scirocco had a very cheapo moulded cup holder like the Polo has now), mainly to tidy up around the gearstick and get the central console sliding cover.

It was a relatively easy 90 mins job as the parts were directly compatible (vent ducting through the central console). Would be a total PITA trying to retrofit a set-up that wasn't intended to be compatible.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I'd think that you would need to find the part numbers on the sedan version of Polo as that is where there were found by the person or people that added that to the 6R/6C Polo.

I've been finding that the usual cloned Ekta parts listings that I tend to use have been blogged/shut down, there was a proper VW Group dealership based in Germany that gave a direct link to Ekta - but I've yet to rediscover that website, so maybe it has been shut down as well.

Sometimes I wonder what VW Group are up to as in the past I've quite often needed small obscure parts ordered in, while I had access to part numbers, it was just a case of handing my lists over and the parts guy, if they were valid numbers, just ordered them up for me - now if these cloned Ekta sites have all been shut down, it is the local VW Group's parts department folk that end up spending too much time trying to find these part number, does not seem right some how.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

RUM4MO wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:28 pm I'd think that you would need to find the part numbers on the sedan version of Polo as that is where there were found by the person or people that added that to the 6R/6C Polo.

I've been finding that the usual cloned Ekta parts listings that I tend to use have been blogged/shut down, there was a proper VW Group dealership based in Germany that gave a direct link to Ekta - but I've yet to rediscover that website, so maybe it has been shut down as well.

Sometimes I wonder what VW Group are up to as in the past I've quite often needed small obscure parts ordered in, while I had access to part numbers, it was just a case of handing my lists over and the parts guy, if they were valid numbers, just ordered them up for me - now if these cloned Ekta sites have all been shut down, it is the local VW Group's parts department folk that end up spending too much time trying to find these part number, does not seem right some how.
This wstill works. unfortunately missing new polo. If you have normal (exe) ETKA then new polo is there.

Code: Select all

http://www.realoem.me/Volkswagen/RDW
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes, I know that site, but I did not mention it as it does not cover the latest cars yet like you discovered.

I'd think if you registered with ErWin you would get access to the current version of Ekta and a lot more.