Dash cam hardwire fuse selection

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Re: Dash cam hardwire fuse selection

Post by joe6 »

veteran wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:24 pm joe6,

Where did you manage to get the odd one or two fusebox pins necessary for such a job, as in my fusebox each and every unused position is kitted out with only one pin?

Doubtless, fusebox pins for a 6C (you'll be wanting to use either ATO-F fuses or MINI fuses) could be purchased from a VAG dealer, but probably 1000 at a time.
You can provide the second pin yourself (or go to a breakers yard?). I made a couple up by 'adjusting' small spade terminals after making sure they fitted but did not go straight through second pin hole.
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

You can buy pre made lengths of wire with the correct end from vw.

I bought just the pin from there. It cost 70p for one.

I haven't got access to the site where I got the part number but listed just the pins (both male and female) and pre made pig tails.
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

What was that site, then?
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Post by joe6 »

Just found this site that may have the fittings? They certainly have a good range of products at reasonable prices. Wish I had known about them earlier!

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/s ... -mouldings
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

veteran wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:35 pm What was that site, then?
Have a look here

Post #9
veteran
Silver Member

Post by veteran »

Dink,

I've seen that link before but didn't - indeed couldn't - proceed beyond its first page, due to vortex's declaration that they'd set cookies and collect data on me. I try my best to limit that kind of thing, especially for sites that I'm rarely, if ever, intending to visit again. Years ago, vortex weren't so finicky, and I used to visit their site quite often. Perhaps these days I'm being rather too over-cautious?

Anyway, have you looked yourself? What, in summary, (and bearing in mind that the first page was/is from a contributor in the USA, not the UK), does post no.9 say? Are specific part nos. mentioned?

Joe6,

I've known about vehicle-wiring-products.eu for some while. They are indeed a source of some useful bits-and-pieces here and there, but with the Polo 6C (2014 - 2017) I think you'll find that VW chose to use 'fuseware' made by the american firm Littelfuse. So the fuseboxes are to Littelfuse design, and I've a horrible feeling that although the various different pins (not the fuses themselves) installable into the fuseboxes meet the various international standards as regards contact dimensions and material, the way that the pins fit - that is, lock - into the fuseblock may well be Littelfuse-specific.

For the 6C, there are three fuse types used - standard MINI, ATO-F, and standard JCASE. You'll find many Web-based sellers offering low-profile versions of the MINI and JCASE but the low-profile versions might not be wholly compatible, so any 6C owner wanting to purchase via that kind of source needs to be aware of the two different sorts; it's probably best to stay with the original non-LP version. The JCASE type needed is the Littelfuse 495 Series and you should look for both the Littelfuse name and that number embossed on the front of the clear fuse window. LP versions have an amber window. JCASE fusebox pins are male pins, meaning that JCASE fuses themselves have female contacts. One particular thing I've noticed is that some sellers of these JCASE fuses claim that the fuse type is PAL. That is not the case; they are instead type 495.

I did searches on vehicle-wiring-product's site for 'Mini' 'ATO', 'JCASE', and 'Littelfuse' but it came up with nothing, so my conclusion is that that seller cannot supply any of the three kinds of pins required.

I've yet to view the rear of the dashboard fusebox, for example, but I'd hope that the fusebox's design makes it feasible and easy to add in the proper pins where required, including the connecting of their subsequent wire tails. Pins of that generic sort sometimes fit (and lock into place) from the front, sometimes from the back. If all of these are rear-fitted, it'd be necessary to unbolt the fusebox, pull it out of the aperture without losing the existing connections at the back, and then turn the fusebox so that you can see what you're doing.

It might transpire that, in the end, it's easier to use a pre-made 'piggy-back' dual add-a-circuit tail for each additional accessory device you add to the car, but many of those tails on sale on the Web aren't made all that well and sometimes there are keying issues with the 6C's fusebox, or with baulking against adjacent fuses. Another more-obvious alternative would be to go along to the local VW dealer and buy the pins (with or without tails) via the spares dept, especially as it's been earlier reported that each one (not sure which one, because there are three different types in use and therefore it'll depend on which slot(s) you want to use) will cost a mere 70p or thereabouts. That's assuming that all VW dealerships will sell the pins singly, of course.

Edit: Further research on the Littelfuse JCASEs has revealed that there are three sub-categories of the standard JCASE, denoted by a three-character addition to the Littelfuse product no. These are ZXA, UXA, and TXA. Each of these determines the blow characteristics of the fuse, ie. the fuse's time/current characteristics. Across these, there are some very large differences in blow time. Inrush current handling ability differs also.

Unfortunately, none of these three-character codes are visible on the fuse in situ and so, given the dire importance of having absolutely the precise fuse intended by VW, I'd recommend that JCASEs be always bought from the VW dealer, rather than from third-parties or oriental sources. You'll then get the very fuse designed for your particular vehicle. JCASEs control pretty much all the major circuits on the vehicle. Using any JCASE fuses that aren't precisely the ones designed for the vehicle could be risking not just the vehicle's integrity but also your and others' lives.
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

veteran wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:19 pm Dink,

I've seen that link before but didn't - indeed couldn't - proceed beyond its first page, due to vortex's declaration that they'd set cookies and collect data on me. I try my best to limit that kind of thing, especially for sites that I'm rarely, if ever, intending to visit again. Years ago, vortex weren't so finicky, and I used to visit their site quite often. Perhaps these days I'm being rather too over-cautious?

Anyway, have you looked yourself? What, in summary, (and bearing in mind that the first page was/is from a contributor in the USA, not the UK), does post no.9 say? Are specific part nos. mentioned?
yes, yes you are being over-cautious but anyway here is the table of the pins and wire sets (the part no. shown is right before you ask) Junior power timer is small fuses and standard power timer is the normal size fuses
pin table.png
and i don't believe that vw use special fuses for one second. they are bog standard fuses that all car manufactures use. also the operating characteristic of the fuses is completely irrelevant so don't know why you are even bothering to look at such data.
veteran
Silver Member

Post by veteran »

i don't believe that vw use special fuses for one second. they are bog standard fuses that all car manufactures use. also the operating characteristic of the fuses is completely irrelevant so don't know why you are even bothering to look at such data.

You clearly don't know much about fuses; there's more to them - all fuses - than first meets the eye, you know. And I do know what I'm talking about, as I come from a professional electronics background. You're at liberty to believe what on earth you like, though.
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

veteran wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:44 pm You clearly don't know much about fuses; there's more to them - all fuses - than first meets the eye, you know. And I do know what I'm talking about, as I come from a professional electronics background. You're at liberty to believe what on earth you like, though.
Problem is I do know a lot about fuses and being as you are a pro in electronics the hint of me saying the fuse operates rather than blowing wasn't a massive hint.

You would also know that the type of fuses used in cars will not operate fast enough to save any sort of electronic components (some semi conductor fuses might have half a chance).

The sole purpose of a fuse in a car is to save the wiring and that's it. So when you install your own wiring you need to fuse accordingly.

For me a little bit of 1.5mm2 fed from a 3A fuse would be more than ample for any dash cam out there.
veteran
Silver Member

Post by veteran »

The sole purpose of a fuse in a car is to save the wiring and that's it. So when you install your own wiring you need to fuse accordingly.

Absolutely!

For me a little bit of 1.5mm2 fed from a 3A fuse would be more than ample for any dash cam out there.

I agree wholeheartedly, but that's not in dispute here.