Link between engine light and faulty stop/start function?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
karin1980
New
Drives: 2014 1.0L

Link between engine light and faulty stop/start function?

Post by karin1980 »

Hi all,
I basically know nothing about cars so looking for some advice / help here! I have a 2014 Polo. A few months ago the engine light came on and I took it to the garage who did a diagnostic but found a "woolly" fault code. As the car was running normally, they switched the light off but it came back on the next day. I've been driving it with the light on for about 2-3 months now without any issues, however I realise this needs to get fixed! Today it has its annual service and the diagnostics showed another fault code. The STOP/START system has been inactivated / faulty continuously since the engine light came on.

Does anybody know what could be the problem and do you have any recommendations what I can do? Stating the obvious I'd like to avoid spending lots of money on this! Appreciate your thoughts and any ideas?

Karin
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Link between engine light and faulty stop/start function?

Post by iichel »

Without knowing the exact error code, it's virutally impossible to even send you roughly in the correct direction.
If an error code is present and 'active', it will very often stop the stop/start system from working.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

As above, you need to hand over more info, I'm surprised that your dealer did not either repair this with your consent or at lease supply you with a quote to repair that issue and outlined what the issue was, which should have included the stored fault code(s).
holly.currie
New

Post by holly.currie »

Did you get this resolved as I have this issue on a 2014 polo to! My friends going to check with his diagnostic machine the code but sounds like I won't get very far! It's booked in with vw next week but sooner I sort it the better as my Mot is due.
rivatt
New
Drives: 6C polo 1.2 TSI

Post by rivatt »

Daughters car had the same warning light and no S/S and VW changed the turbo actuator arm under warranty which cured it. They did say this is a known fault and any further problem they would change the turbo . (Stage one was clean/ lubricate the arm, two was change the arm and three change the turbo) Might be worth you researching particularly if yours is down on power also.