TomTom solution

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Shappers01
New
Drives: Polo Highline 1.0 TSI 81kW. R-Line

TomTom solution

Post by Shappers01 »

Hi,

Lot’s of discussion on retrofitting Nav systems. I thought I would show my solution.

TomTom Go 5200 on a Brodit mount.

The TomTom is a no brainer for me. It has live traffic data, speed camera info, is always up to date and I can use it all over the world when I travel. I can send all my phone’s messages to it and it will even read them out to me. It always knows where I’m going and is ready with the route. Before I leave the house I can use the TomTom Go app on my phone to find destinations and send them to the device so it is already there when I get in the car. It sits on a magnetic mount so takes only a second to remove it from the car.

The TomTom sits perfectly in my vision path, to the side of my hand on the steering wheel and above the radio. The Brodit mounts are not cheap but they are quality. Ask any taxi driver!

I have no affiliation with these products, just a satisfied user.
Attachments
86F88F54-33F9-494F-8E64-FCD2B1685A48.jpeg
61851A17-7E9F-4C92-9B83-C0F782C9393B.jpeg
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: TomTom solution

Post by RUM4MO »

True, if you want to go down the standalone route!

I've found my TomTom 6000 sitting on its weighted dash top not fixed to anything, very useful and easily in my line of sight - and no costly updates to pay for.

I've just got to remember to take it with us if we feel the need for "traffic conditions" support, re-routing due to incidents or just how to get somewhere, I've not bothered with its "parking" finder function yet.

Edit:- now wait for the incoming torrent of abuse/rage? As my model does not have wifi I have not gone as far to build routes in my mydrive account, much better fun to have my wife doing the route planning while we are on the move!/?
dxg

Post by dxg »

I run tomtom on my phone all the time - their traffic data is much more accurate than google's.

but, tomtom will die within the next few years unless they can get it onto Android Auto or CarPlay. Too many people won't look further than what's already in the car.
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Post by Willni »

dxg wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:42 am I run tomtom on my phone all the time - their traffic data is much more accurate than google's.

but, tomtom will die within the next few years unless they can get it onto Android Auto or CarPlay. Too many people won't look further than what's already in the car.
Should try Waze if you're not happy with google's data, it's hosted by google so the best maps about, but users give feedback in real time about police, speed cameras, accidents etc.

But I agree tomtom will probably die out soon, unless it gets into cars. Personally I never liked tomtoms found them very distracting and worsened my driving because of said distractions