GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by johnpolo2 »

Previous GTI does have headlamp washers

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

barrywi wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:02 am Maybe they have reduced the power of the led headlights. Usually old fashioned bulbs wattages would be mentioned in the handbook , but have not seen any indication in my handbook yet.
For household bulbs at least, LED wattage to require similar lumens to halogens is about 1/9 output. I'd expect the car ones to be brighter than 6W vs 55W H7s. The fact you can't look up output in the handbook suggests that VW don't expect an owner to replace generally.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:31 am
SRGTD wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:42 am
Failure of light bulbs is covered under VW’s new car (factory) warranty for the first 6 months or 6,500 miles, whichever is sooner. After that, failure of bulbs are considered to be as a result of wear and tear, unless it can be demonstrated the failure was due to a manufacturing defect. VW’s new car warranty terms and conditions are at the link below;

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/war ... conditions
Hopefully that limit only applies to halogen bulbs which are meant to be consumables and have a short finite life. Xenon bulbs are not, and I suspect that LEDs are not either. Plenty of people on the Golf GTI forum have had their xenons go on their GTD/GTI/R and had them replaced at 2+ years. I'd not consider an LED headlight to be a consumable item not reasonably expected to last many years if not the life of the car.
Let’s hope so, especially if the actual LEDs themselves can’t be replaced and a new headlamp unit is required.
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

Got the car booked in on Tuesday to have the headlights checked.
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Post by Robint »

Let us know what they say please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cadwest
Bronze Member

Post by Cadwest »

Robint wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:35 am Let us know what they say please

Will do
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

They might be set lower than the beam pattern for other bulb types to avoid dazzling in common situations. LEDs are intensely bright when viewed directly and a narrow spread from dead on.

I'll have to do some nightime driving to cast judgement on beam length for mine vs that of the Golf to decide whether to adjust.
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

If the previous Polo with led lights had headlamp washers then they would have had to be above a certain wattage. If the power was lowered for the current( pardon the pun) Gti that would mean VW would not be forced to fit the washers, so saving cost to them. Just a theory.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I finally went out in the Polo tonight, dark enough to see the lights working and the range they have.

Range appears to be around 3 big car lengths (15m?) to the cut-off on the passenger side when driving on the flat, about 2m longer beyond the drivers side.

That range compared favourably with other cars on my 12 mile round trip, halogens were a bit longer but with much more intensity trail off. On the way back, I was fortunate to pass a prefacelift Golf GTD (same Xenon lights as my Golf R) and briefly stayed level to compare light range. The Golf was no more than a metre longer. Then at a major roundabout, I was stopped alongside a facelift Golf GTI (LEDs) and compared - the Golf's light range looked a tiny bit shorter.

Couldn't really tell for sure as the roads were so well lit, but i'd say the Xenons were narginally brighter across beam pattern. Seemed more than adequate for me.

How do those lengths compard with others here in a GTI+?
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Post by Robint »

As I say I thought they were good but never had these type of lights before

mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Not had a problem with halogens in mine. I cant compare because I have never has LEDs but im happy with the ones I have. I don't think I will bother getting 120%.
Cadwest
Bronze Member

Post by Cadwest »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:47 pm I finally went out in the Polo tonight, dark enough to see the lights working and the range they have.

Range appears to be around 3 big car lengths (15m?) to the cut-off on the passenger side when driving on the flat, about 2m longer beyond the drivers side.

That range compared favourably with other cars on my 12 mile round trip, halogens were a bit longer but with much more intensity trail off. On the way back, I was fortunate to pass a prefacelift Golf GTD (same Xenon lights as my Golf R) and briefly stayed level to compare light range. The Golf was no more than a metre longer. Then at a major roundabout, I was stopped alongside a facelift Golf GTI (LEDs) and compared - the Golf's light range looked a tiny bit shorter.

Couldn't really tell for sure as the roads were so well lit, but i'd say the Xenons were narginally brighter across beam pattern. Seemed more than adequate for me.

How do those lengths compard with others here in a GTI+?
Thanks for the info, don’t know if my problem is adjusting from a different car with LED’s fitted or if they are set to low but as car is going in on Tuesday I should find out soon, will report back then. Cheers.
Cadwest
Bronze Member

Post by Cadwest »

Had the car into Volkswagen this morning to check the headlights, they reported everything seemed to be functioning well within the parameters they would expect including self adjustment when it had passengers seated in the back. They also checked that it had the correct setting for right hand drive vehicles in the info settings, so it would seem it’s just me coming from the Volvo LED’s.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

Managed to sneak over 50mpg on my commute. This dropped a little once I got back in to town driving. Overall I tend to see over 45mpg so I’m pretty pleased with the mpg. :)
Attachments
317CE59B-A9DE-47FB-B7B3-C8108EF5EE04.jpeg
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

As winter draws on my car keeps popping up a warning to put my headlamps on in the centre of the electronic dash. Even just passing under trees triggers it, which allows the message to cover up the information underneath it.
Is there any way to stop it coming up as much or even better stopping it come on at all? After all I can tell when the lights need to come on with my eyes.